What are the characters in the picture?

This might be a bit off topic, since it’s from a Korean movie, but here’s the picture:

What I’ve managed to find out. The left column: 生 (life), 年 (year), 月 (month), 日 (day), 陽 (?). The middle column: the first looks more like a Chinese character (Hanja?), the rest are supposedly Korean, altogether looks like a person’s name. The right column: the first character looks Korean (Hangul?) and probably has something to do with death, then year, month, day and 陽.

I’ve noticed familiar characters and decided to find out what the rest are. I don’t understand what 陽 means (maybe “a date”?) and the first character in the right column. That, or if you have anything else to add, you’re welcome.

2 Likes

In the left column, in this context 生 is read うまれ and means “born”, and then you have the person’s birth date. In the right column the top character is 卒 (read そつ) which is often used in the word 卒業 (graduation from school etc.) but it can also mean “death”.

In the middle 故 is a Japanese character, it means “the late” or “the deceased” in this context.

13 Likes

Left Column: 生1970年06月07日 (can’t distinguish the last one for it’s too small)
Middle Column: 故 (Four Korean Symbols)
Right Column: 卒2016年11月30日 (can’t distinguish – too small)

I’d say, the left column is the date of manufacturing and the right column is the expiration date
The middle column should be the name of the product; the first kanji means Circumstance, Reason.
I have no idea what the Korean ones mean :sweat_smile:

P. S. Wait, could it be that it’s not a product, but an urn? In which case the left column would be the date of birth and the right column would be the date of death?

2 Likes

I take the object in the picture to be an urn, though? :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Yeah, I had that thought just when I finished writing my original post, which is why I edited it :sweat_smile:

I originally thought it was some sort of ointment or cosmetic creme, but yeah, it does make more sense for it to be an urn… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The other characters you haven’t deciphered yet:
陽 (sun, positive) – here referring to the solar calendar (the sort of calendar most countries use internationally today) as opposed to the lunar calendar ← this is my best guess, admittedly, but I think it makes the most sense since those two calendar types are indeed referred to as 陽暦 and 陰暦
卒 (end, graduation) – here referring, indeed, to death
故 (former, old, familiar) – here ‘late’ (in the sense of ‘deceased’), used before a name or title

The three blocks below 故 in the centre are hangul. I can’t really read hangul (haven’t memorised everything), but I think it’s something like ‘Yun Tong Hun’. I’m just pulling this out of my foggy memory though, so please check that against a standard romanisation. I wouldn’t be surprised if half of it is wrong.

5 Likes

So, that’s what that character was! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

OK, sorry, it’s Yun Dong Hun according to Wikipedia’s romanisation (the Revised Romanisation):

2 Likes

WaniKani should have added those as meaning for 故。Had it done so, I would have probably not made such an embarrassing mistake :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Not sure WaniKani could help with you counting “one, two, four”, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

So in other words, it’s definitely the name of the product inside.

4 Likes

That depends. Is it for sale? And who’s buying?

2 Likes

Is that from Parasite?

Yun DongHun is a name.

Birthday on the Left, Graduation (or passing…?) on the Right.

2 Likes

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it’s indeed an urn. The picture is from the My Name TV series. The name is Yoon Dong-hoon according to Wikipedia. Not sure how close romanisation to real pronunciation though.

In the middle 故 is a Japanese character

I wonder if any of the characters can be called Japanese. I guess most of them (from Hanja) came from China, although they might have been simplified or changed in the respective countries (Japan, Korea, …) later on.

3 Likes

OK what I wanted to say is that all of the characters (except the Korean name, of course) are in use in modern Japanese in the exact shape as depicted on the urn. It may be the case that they are used in other languages in that exact shape as well, but that’s beyond my knowledge :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I think it’s in korean, noticing some slight stroke differences here and there.

That said as most of these characters are shared in Japanese it’s readable.

1 Like

That, and while it is true that 陽暦 means “solar calendar”, Japan’s two calendars aren’t the solar and lunar calendars, but rather 年号 and 西暦.

1 Like

Yoon and hoon are common anglicizations of yun and hun. Rhymes with toon.