Start Date: Nov 28th
Previous Part: Week 4
Next Part: Week 6

Reading:

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page (角川文庫) End % Page Count
Week 5 Nov 28th 時のように、かぶりを振った 75 41% 10

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for 雪国 - Snow Country :snowman::snowflake:

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Name Reading Notes Proof
島村 しまむら Our protagonist
葉子 ようこ The girl on the train Furigana
駒子 こまこ The girl in the village Furigana

I am now caught up!

玉葱みたいな球根を剝いた新しさの皮膚

I know the moment is supposed to be romantic, but all I can think of is

:joy:

1 Like

Well, aren’t they both supposed to be romantic? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Anyways.

This week, I really liked his

謎みたいなことばばかり言ってる。

That made me go like “Phew, I’m not the only one who has a hard time making sense of this all” :rofl:

4 Likes

A lot of that is due (for me) to lack of vocab (yes, I did not know what a 撥 was) or cultural context (like the fact that 按摩 are usually blind).
It’s a weird feeling to be lost again reading Japanese.

3 Likes

That’s really interesting to hear! For me, initially (i.e. mainly week 1+2) I struggled with the language and the density of unknown vocab, and I still feel that I need to look up slightly more words than in e.g. Hakase (which makes the reading quite tiring for me at times), but other than that, it has gotten down to my “normal level of being lost” by now. :woman_shrugging: :rofl:

2 Likes

That cleaning scene was a bit weird for me. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to take from that.

Huh. :open_mouth: I didn’t know that, but there’s a blind acupuncturist/masseuse in the yakuza game series too. To think that was (is?) a usual occupation for blind people.

1 Like