Join the Advanced Book Club here!
海辺のカフカ - Kafka on the Shore Home Thread
Start Date: Sep 17
Previous Part: Week 16
Next Part: Week 18
- Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
- When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
- Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
- To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!
Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)
- I’m reading along
- I have finished this part
- I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
- I am no longer reading the book
Just finished reading chapter 34. Really loved this chapter. I feel like so far this half of the book has felt like it is building and building pace (which I’m also really enjoying) but the back half of this chapter felt like a really nice kind of break from that. A little calm before the next storm.
Now on to chapter 35! Where I’m sure more weird stuff will happen
I had been focusing on catching up with 八つ墓村 for the better part of the month, so I spent the past few days catching up with カフカ. There hasn’t been too much going on in the past few chapters, except for another graphic and all too real sex scene. It seemed like both sides were pretty happy with the situation, but that’s probably all the more reason that something needed to give - like Kafka temporarily going to his mountain retreat. Plus, Murakami needs to prove to us that he’s not just a pornographer with a mother complex.
As for these chapters feeling like the “calm before the storm,” I mostly agree, except that there already was a big storm! Felt like a bit of an anticlimax. But the 入り口 is open now, so something is bound to go through it sooner or later…