[Web App] WaniKani History + Timemachine

That feels like a shoutout to me personally – how dare you!

2 Likes

[quote=“Nirgan, post:80, topic:56652”]

Oh, sorry I didn’t notice your first comments on that topic! Yes, I’m halving the time in the projection for the levels that are faster. At the moment I don’t know if halving is the correct thing to do because one is probably not likely to always finish the fast levels in half the time of the normal levels but if you have suggestions as to how I should do it I’d be glad to know!

Gonna have to look into that a bit more.

Oh no, I thought now one was gonna notice this is just a cover up mission to not do my actual WaniKani duties!

Make an option for those feeling like speed runners and those who are not

2 Likes

I see, well those levels can be completed fast, but the amout of stuff in those levels is very similar to slow levels, so only those who really speedrun it and dont mind basically double the strain there can do it, but even then i wouldnt really calculate fast levels as half of slow levels, since those people usually find their own pace in them (sometimes slower than half, sometimes faster than half, even among speedrunners)

Maybe adding one more line under it with “fastest possible time to level 60” would make the most sense? Or as UInt2048 mentioned another checkbox for it (we are gonna turn this website into checkbox simulator hahaha).

1 Like

I decided to implement this for the moment. But yeah, as long as it stays usable I’m going to add as many checkboxes as it takes!

1 Like

Nah, because it’s being halved - the true fastest time would be as calculated by my Projections userscript, and likely involve lots of 3d+10h and 6d+20h

1 Like

Ooo that was fast, thanks! I really dont have anything to complain about now :smiley:

I get that, what i meant was that saraqael could possibly add third level up projection under with theoretical max speed to cater to speedrunners (and then not calc with fast levels in those original projections), but i see that he already added the checkbox, so all good :slight_smile: Now i cant wait for level 60 so i can blast everyone with those new cool graphs in my lvl 60 post hahaha

2 Likes

You better keep up the pace or I’ll beat you to it!

2 Likes

Hahah, I’m really looking forward to it!

Btw @UInt2048 why can you show your level in the community as “23”? Is it because you bought lifetime WK at level 23? I only have my one badge.

2 Likes

Nah, I wish Discourse let us at the time – I was level 19 then.

Whenever the feature to manually set the badge was added, I could see level 23 then (while actually being level 24), and picked it :wink:

It’s no longer an available option, so I can’t change it to anything else, even for a moment.

I’ve been keeping this up for months because it’s funny, and when I get to 60, (23 + 60) / 2 = 41.5 = Level 42 to keep Koichi proud on average :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Oh, that’s really cool!

Haha, nice!

I have a question about this plot :raising_hand_man:

There seems to be about 60 datapoints plotted, but at level 10 I do have a bit more than 60 items in the SRS, so what am I looking at here?

1 Like

This is actually displaying all items, but it doesnt take into account multiple items with same percentages. For example im sure theres many 100% - 100% you have, but its represented by just one dot. I say its more useful to just inspect weird bubbles (low percentage ones), then actually getting good idea of overall accuracy.

Author actually tried to depict also how many of each there are with size of the dot, but with how many words there are in WK, you couldnt see anything.

2 Likes

I thought that might be it, but I was mislead by this behavior:

When I click on the 100/100 dot it shows one specific item (this goes for all dots). It would be less confusing if clicking on a dot showed you how many items were represented by that dot, with an option to inspect them.

2 Likes

Thank you for reporting this! I already noticed that many items were overlapping especially on important points (like 100% 100%). I thought if every item is displayed there would be too much on one point and it would become cluttered. But I guess I’ll change it so that it isn’t as confusing anymore!

Thanks for clarifying it for me! :smile:

3 Likes

Maybe some cap of like 10/20 items and if above, it just shows total count? I cant imagine trying to check out 100 100 on level 60 haha.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t even worry about showing any of the items if it’s above like 4 (but maybe the threshold should be customizable), instead just show “X items” and let the user go to a list if they click on it.

2 Likes

I decided to do it similar to like you said. If there are more than 6 items on one spot a scroll bar appears. If you select the data point you can scroll through all the words. Also I added some extra information to each word.

Word Overview:

Radical Overview:

Thanks for requesting this, I really like how it works now!

4 Likes

I also really like what you’ve done now:)

One small note on presentation: on my phone the site looks like this

It isn’t really a problem, but it would feel smoother if everything was the same width:p

(Chrome on iOS)

1 Like

On my phone the banner first looks right and then when you zoom out it doesn’t enlarge. This is due to me setting a fixed width of 1400px on the charts because it is not speed efficient to draw them in a new size every time. This results in the other containers being difficult to dynamically resize (at least I haven’t found out how to do it, yet, but I’ll try working on it further).

For my phone though, it works if I enable “Desktop View”. Then everything is quite a bit smaller but the elements are always the same length by design.

But instead I improved the level chart look, if that is a reasonable compensation for you :grin:
It now shows the time not as a decimal but as a real time interval:

2 Likes