Want to settle on a beginner method but too much choice!

Yeah; if you do RTK you need some separate plan for vocabulary. You also need an Anki deck or an RTK based website if you want to do reviews. RTK the book is also rather more “do it yourself” than WK, so it starts out suggesting mnemonics but quickly shifts to getting you to invent your own. I tend to view it as the ancestor of all these component-and-mnemonic systems, but it’s difficult to recommend in itself these days.

2 Likes

Listen to Comprehensive Beginner Japanese videos on YouTube. Game Gengo teaches Japanese through video games. There are some Japanese language learning video games like Koe. Nihongo Quest N5 and Wagotabi you can become beta testers for. Keep your eye out for Shujinkou.

1 Like

I think it’s just that. Learn some basics from textbooks or teachers first. Followed by either getting practical, or preload as many vocab or grammar as you can. As much as you are motivated, but you can make yourself motivated.

Japanese language may have a need to learn Kanji, to be able to learn (remember/recall) vocabularies well, but that’s just it. It just takes time to learn a lot of petty stuff.

2 Likes

If you have money I would buy second hand japanese children’s books for the youngest age children and then start with those with an online language translator and an online dictionary like jisho.org. If you find you are happy with online stories then read those. I have personally found that even when i spent a lot of time studying grammar in textbooks and on Bunpro i still struggled to understand sentences in the most basic primary school children’s books, so i would be wary of spending too much time with textbooks and grammar and not engaging with actual stories.

1 Like