Wanikani without grammar

Well, you’re comparing the most basic couple thousand of words in the frequency list against the greater whole and saying that it will be a consistent experience. Verbal phrases are looming on the horizon, and they would like a word with you.

When you are performing lookups so often because a friend or teacher isn’t going to be there the majority of the time, it defeats the purpose of having sunk so much time into a mostly purely kanji approach. The problem with learning kanji in isolation is that you’d have to memorize all of the applicable readings, and for some kanji (生 for instance) that is less feasible, versus learning a word that may be the only time that kanji or specific reading ever appears.

2 Likes

Ok that makes sense. I see where the disconnect is.

Based off of your original post, it seemed like you were including things like novels and all games in your assessment. Those are what I think I and most other people were basing their opinion off of. Manga as well, since op said he wanted to read manga.

4 Likes

Yeah I didn’t see where he was going either at first. He’s using non-native material as a basis and then making the logical leap that the difficulty in deciphering meaning in words will be consistent when transitioning to native materials, or something to that effect.

1 Like

Hey, Cure Dolly is really great, thanks for recommending.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.