WaniKani Too Slow! Can I speed this up Please!?

I’ve been on level 4 forever, I always do the reviews and lessons as soon as possible, and I’m getting 90%+ … is there any way in the settings to speed up this process? And yes, I do understand the concept of spaced repetition.

Thanks! :slight_smile:
-Robert

1 Like

You shan’t my friend…you shan’t

15 Likes

How long is ‘forever’, exactly?

Nope.

You should read this, though :

And probably this also.

6 Likes

No, you cannot change the SRS intervals to make them faster. You have to Guru 90% of the kanji to move on to the next level. What percent does it say you’re at on your dashboard?

4 Likes

If you keep up that routine, things will speed up in no time. ^-^

This is what the coming fortnight looks like for me:

Capture

WK only teaches you to read kanji - check out the countless free resources that people have compiled here in the forums, and brush up on your grammar or actual native reading if you’re not already incorporating that, I’d say.

Good luck with your learning!

11 Likes

:heart:

@robertchicago, if you already read the WK’s FAQ and Guide, then I :100: advise you to read my own Guide. It’s the 2nd post of the thread that Ryouki linked. Focus mainly on chapters 4 to 6 as those might be the main ones for your specific situation :v:

2 Likes

The beginning is slow you need to add more items to your SRS, if you stick with it you’ll wish you had less reviews. It’s 4 hours from the lesson to the first reviews, then 8 hours from first review, 1 Day from second review, and 2 days from third review assuming you don’t get it wrong. At that point the item will be guru, you have to guru 90 percent of radicals and 90 percent of kanji to move on to the next level. A good level where you don’t miss anything that will cause you not to hit the 90 percent mark on schedule should take about 7 days at full speed, except when you get to the fabled fast levels.

2 Likes

You’ll be begging for mercy in a few weeks. Just let it happen. If you want to get better at kanji read some other material in the meantime. It’s not a race. It takes most people a while to realise this I think and it’s how I felt initially. As soon as you realise you are supposed to be learning the kanji rather than simply finishing the course the more it all makes sense. That said - I can’t wait to finish (nearly there!).

8 Likes
11 Likes

As others have said - in a nutshell, no, can’t speed it up. Though for sure, the amount of content you have “in circulation” will continue to grow. It will consume more of your time.

With that said, WK shouldn’t be the only thing you’re using to learn Japanese… so if you’ve got spare time, use it effectively. Textbooks, reading or listening to the news, making your own custom card decks in Anki for grammar points or assorted vocab as you come across it in the wild, whatever.

4 Likes

BlockquoteYou’ll be begging for mercy in a few weeks. Just let it happen. If you want to get better at kanji read some other material in the meantime. It’s not a race. It takes most people a while to realise this I think and it’s how I felt initially. As soon as you realise you are supposed to be learning the kanji rather than simply finishing the course the more it all makes sense. That said - I can’t wait to finish (nearly there!

Exactly. It’s easy to abuse wkstats and compare our own evolution to the average completion rate, but then again, so many factors chime in when it comes to getting everything to Guru level. I know that one of my personal issues is that I tend to type too fast on my iPad, thus making typos that slow me down in the end, and that I have some difficulty remembering when the kanji for “person” is read “nin” or “jin”.

ありがとう! みんあ! It just happened … I have many new lessons and many reviews. Did someone (admin) speed things up for me … nah, just lucky I guess.

And yes to everyone, I am also listening to Japanese news, and studying grammar. Wani Kani is just part of my plan to finally learn 日本語this time.

3 Likes

A new update happened and they modified/added some content :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another thing you can do is use some third party stuff to track your progress. WK Stats can help track how long you’ve been on a given level and when you’ll likely be moving onto the next.

There are a slew of other 3rd party / user scripts (and an entire subforum dedicated to them) which can help with this as well. For example, I like Ultimate Timeline to see when I’ve got things coming up.

2 Likes

i’ve yet to beg for mercy, and i’ve been through some things. i also don’t care what speed others are going at, or if they wear their pants while doing reviews.

what people need to understand, is that we’re all in different circumstances, and if i was jobless, with too much time, i could finish wk in weeks, not months.

this complete and utter lack of empathy has been a sickness of wanikani since before 2015.
just leave this kind of post alone, maybe link to pereira’s guide or the FAQ, done.

no one needs your derision.
seriously.
go away already.

2 Likes

Everyone saw this one coming :rofl:
Seriously though, like others have said keep going, things will start speeding up in no time, some people start saying they’re having troubles from as soon as level 6 or 7.

17 Likes

That’s quite the insightful graphic, hadn’t seen that before. Well then, guess things will still be ramping up for me for some time!

1 Like

Yes yes! Just don’t laze out on your reviews and there won’t be any problems, but it’s not that easy, huh. (Life happens)

3 Likes

right. you laze, you lose. slackers end up resetting from lvl 16 to 1, making a self-motivating forum post, level to 4 and are then never to be seen again.

don’t laze around.

6 Likes

Lucky is not something I’ve ever said when faced with 100s more lessons/reviews

4 Likes