WaniKani random font

Ok, I managed to find my fonts file in my control panel, so the Japanese ones have あア(+ a kanji I have forgotten).
Next steps?

Wow ok. So I had already commented on here and people replied! I’m so sorry!

Got it to work (wow!).
It’s brilliant! My head hurts slightly though!

Hey folks,

I’m not sure how to use the script. I can identify the fonts on my Windows 8.1 system, but not sure how to use the script with Wanikani! Can someone please list out instructions?

Thanks, Sean

cruzssskm96 said... Hey folks,

I'm not sure how to use the script. I can identify the fonts on my Windows 8.1 system, but not sure how to use the script with Wanikani! Can someone please list out instructions?

Thanks, Sean

1. Install an extension for your browser to run the script, for example Tapermonkey for Chrome.
  2. Open Tapermonkey and create a new script.
  3. Copy & paste the userscript.
  4. Change the fonts array. Simply replace the existing fonts with whatever fonts you have and remove all the fonts you don't need.
  5. Save. 

Trying this

This is pretty great. Makes things harder, but in a way that it should. Even with plain kana I sometimes get flummoxed by real world examples that seem a lot different than straightforward fonts like Meiryo.

Unfortunately I can’t seem to get it working.

I’m on Chrome and put the script into Tampermonkey. I installed all the fonts listed, and even added the font style at the end (for example: EPSON 行書体M Regular). I start doing reviews and nothing is changed. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong here. Running Windows 8.1 if that’s relevant D:

Here’s some instructions:

1. Install an extension that supports Greasemonkey scripts. For Chrome, try Tampermonkey. For Firefox, try Greasemonkey.
2. Find the spot in the extension you installed that allows you to add a new script. (In Tampermonkey: Click the extension button,  and click ‘Add a new script…’)
3. Copy the raw script from here: http://pastie.org/pastes/10281245/text?key=hwchjc9sfzoytciqwncow
4. Paste the script in the box that opened after Step 2.
5. Open the fonts directory on your computer (In Windows: C:\Windows\Fonts)
6. In the search box, type “japanese” and hit enter. This will list all the fonts that support Japanese text. (Not sure if this works on Macs.)
7. Go back to the script you pasted. Look for the list of fonts that starts on line 14. Erase every line between “var fonts = [” and “];”. You should now have some blank space with “var fonts = [” on the line before it and “];” on the line after it.
8. Now type every Japanese font you found in step 6 in the blank space. You should type it EXACTLY as it appears. In addition, you must put ’  (apostrophe) in front and ', (apostrophe comma) at the end, with no spaces. For example, if one of the fonts you found was Meiryo, you should type ‘Meiryo’,
9. Save the script (In Tampermonkey: Click the save icon)
10. Refresh WaniKani and try a review.

On Windows 10, this is the list of Japanese fonts I ended up with:

var fonts = [

‘Meiryo UI’,

‘MS Gothic Regular’,

‘MS Mincho Regular’,

‘MS PGothic Regular’,

‘MS PMincho Regular’,

‘MS UI Gothic Regular’,

‘Yu Gothic’,

‘Yu Gothic UI’,

‘Yu Mincho’,

‘Meiryo’,

];

You can, of course, install additional fonts and add them to this list.

Thanks CheeTos.  Unfortunately #6 doesn’t work for macs.  I am still trying to get this script to function.

Very nice script thanks,

and for anyone who is interested 
I uploaded a whole bunch of different fonts in a zip file as well as all their names in a text file in the script list format,
it includes various handwritten fonts some brush/calligraphy fonts and some others.
it is quite long so you may want to go through and remove what you don’t want, also the file called mylist is my short-list of fonts

get em here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0lp334gk6a0y8io/AAA90m1XdNcBx8TBY_dfoBFpa?dl=0

1 Like
Frouzich said... Thank you! I've been wishing for this script for a while now, so I'm grateful.

I've gotten it to work just fine! I have a question about the names of the fonts. In Apple's standard font-package, there is a  difference in the kanji, like different radicals.

Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro
versus
Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN

Can anyone tell me why these differentiate so much in radicals?! There are like 4 cases, where there's a version with or without the "N"... And which one should I use in the script?

Not sure if you ever found an answer, but I was looking around and found this.

http://meta.japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/1098/which-font-variants-to-use-for-typing-japanese...

From what I understood the N could stand for New and make some minor changes to some characters.

i don’t know what i’m doing wrong, but instead of changing the font of the kanji, is changing the font of what i type in the “meaning” box. that is the roman caracters when giving an answer.

i followed the instruccion, but i don’t know what happend.
the only part of the text that i changed was the font list…

coding is like black magic
some sorcerer out there?

This is amazing!  This is freakin’ amazing!  Thank you OP, and thank you everyone who helped clarify instructions!!

@lucasan88
Try restarting your browser.  I ran into the same issue using Chrome, but just opening WaniKani in a new window seemed to get things working.

1 Like
tobuei said... Very nice script thanks,

and for anyone who is interested 

I uploaded a whole bunch of different fonts in a zip file as well as all their names in a text file in the script list format,
it includes various handwritten fonts some brush/calligraphy fonts and some others.
it is quite long so you may want to go through and remove what you don't want, also the file called mylist is my short-list of fonts

get em here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0lp334gk6a0y8io/AAA90m1XdNcBx8TBY_dfoBFpa?dl=0
 I see you like to use older versions of Winzip ;)

But thanks for the upload - super helpful! 
It works! This is great!
Here's the list of default J fonts on my Mac, for those also on a Mac. I assume you can just copy and paste this.

'Arial Unicode MS',
'Baoli SC',
'Hannotate SC',
'Hannotate TC',
'HanziPen SC',
'HanziPen TC',
'Heiti SC',
'Heiti TC',
'Hiragino Kaku Gothic StdN',
'Hiragino Maru Gothic ProN',
'Hiragino Mincho ProN',
'Hiragino Sans',
'Hiragino Sans GB',  
'Kaiti SC',
'Kaiti TC',
'Klee',
'Lantinghei SC',
'Libian SC',
'Osaka',
'PingFang HK',
'PingFang SC',
'Songti SC',
'Songti TC',
'STFangsong',
'STHeiti',  
'STKaiti',
'STSong',
'Tsukushi A Round Gothic',
'Tsukushi B Round Gothic',
'Weibei SC',
'Weibei TC',
'Xingkai SC',
'Yuanti SC',
'Yuanti TC',
'YuGothic',
'YuMincho',  
'YuMincho +36p Kana',
'Yuppy SC',  
'Yuppy TC',    

I’m also seeing text in the answer field being changed to something pretty crummy – is it using the same font as the Kanji?  (ie. the question, big character)

Or do we have to experiment to find script-type fonts that also have decent Roman glyphs?

Thanks

mungouk said... I'm also seeing text in the answer field being changed to something pretty crummy -- is it using the same font as the Kanji?  (ie. the question, big character)

Or do we have to experiment to find script-type fonts that also have decent Roman glyphs?

Thanks
 Just installed this script on my Mac (works great, thanks OP!) and yes, it seems the answer field is the same text as the font.  Some of the handwriting fonts are pretty hard to read even in Roman characters :)

Is it possible for someone to post a screenshot of how it actually supposed to look?