Wanikani Override Userscript 1.1.2 ("Ignore Answer" Button) [No longer supported]

ruipgpinheiro said...@onepartninja
I never even tested this script on Safari. As long as there is a good Greasemonkey port for it, it should work. Maybe GreaseKit has some incompatibility issues? My script really should only require the GM_addStyle API, so it shouldn't be hard to support cross-platform. Could you see whether loading the reviews with the Safari Error Console shows any errors? Command-Option-C should open it. Maybe it's something obvious and I can figure it out with just that information.

Worst case, I'll install Safari myself (on Windows, though) once I have time, and try to reproduce the issue. This might take a while, though, since I've been quite busy with real life issues lately.
Thank you so much to even be willing to look at this! No matter how long it takes. I waited til a minute before my next review, opened the Error Console and loaded my review. I laughed because the console actually shows the answers. But alas, no errors :( I even clicked on the ! icon within the set of icons to the left and it says No Issues. In my top toolbar, along with File, Edit, etc., I do have Greasekit and Wanikani Override *is* checked. I hope you can help, please let me know of anything I can do to assist. 

Dyslexics of the world, untie! (Iā€™m not actually dyslexic) - but awesome app, many thanks for making it

Getting Absolutely nothing! Installed it, its in my extensions, tried resetting the computer, tried restarting chrome, and now I have even more wrong answers.Ā 

KieranHD said... Getting Absolutely nothing! Installed it, its in my extensions, tried resetting the computer, tried restarting chrome, and now I have even more wrong answers.
I'm guessing it's the same "problem" I covered some posts ago:
 As you probably noticed by now, the button should always show up in the bottom-right of the script. Since it does not, something isn't working correctly.
By what you said, I have a hunch you're using Chrome and installed the userscript natively. If this is the case, then the fix should be quite simple. If I'm wrong, however, please state your browser (and version), and the Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey version you're using so I can help you further.

In case my hunch was correct, the problem is that you're installing the userscript natively. Due to some limitations imposed on us by Chrome's userscript API (and because I developed the script primarily for Firefox), it uses some stuff only available in the Greasemonkey userscript engine (and derivatives, like Tampermonkey). You should uninstall the script, and then install the Tampermonkey extension for Chrome. Once you try to install my Userscript again, you should get a choice to install it using Tampermonkey, and if you choose that everything should work fine!

onepartninja said... Thank you so much to even be willing to look at this! No matter how long it takes. I waited til a minute before my next review, opened the Error Console and loaded my review. I laughed because the console actually shows the answers. But alas, no errors :( I even clicked on the ! icon within the set of icons to the left and it says No Issues. In my top toolbar, along with File, Edit, etc., I do have Greasekit and Wanikani Override *is* checked. I hope you can help, please let me know of anything I can do to assist. 
 That's a shame. I'll have to install Safari once I have time to check whether there's a simple fix.

Umm, so I found some time to test Safari compatibility, but it seems SIMBL is required for Greasekit and that doesnā€™t work on Windows. Iā€™m really sorry, but thereā€™s not much that I can do without installing OSX inside a VM, something that would take way too much work.

Ā If someone else with some javascript knowledge and access to a Mac could look into it, Iā€™d appreciate it. Other than that, if the Error console shows nothing, thereā€™s not much I can do. Only thing I can suggest is using another browser :frowning:

Request: any way you can add the ability to ignore an answer already gone by? Sometimes I answer so fast I donā€™t even notice a typo and in situations like this it would be really handy. Perhaps itĀ could have a button to ignore theĀ last given answer?

defaye said... Request: any way you can add the ability to ignore an answer already gone by? Sometimes I answer so fast I don't even notice a typo and in situations like this it would be really handy. Perhaps it could have a button to ignore the last given answer?
I made this user script for exactly the same reason:
Wanikani Mistake Delay (Block 'Enter' for 1s if answer is wrong)

It shouldn't be impossible, but I think it'd add unnecessary complexity to this script (and thus make it a bit harder to maintain) so I'm not planning to add it, especially when there is a good alternative to resolve the problem you're talking about.

I'm not completely against such a feature, though, so if more people think that feature is important I guess you might change my mind.

I canā€™t get the tilde button hot key to workā€¦ Using chrome and tampermonkey

Tachypsychia said... I can't get the tilde button hot key to work.. Using chrome and tampermonkey
 Weird, I can't reproduce that. The "Ignore Answer" button works fine, right?

Maybe it's your keyboard layout? Which layout is it? Can you type a tilde (~) in other applications?

What is your Chrome and Tampermonkey version?

In case you know your way around computers, could you edit line 204 of the userscript

//alert('keycode: ' + event.keyCode);
into

alert('keycode: ' + event.keyCode);
and then go into a Wanikani review page, select the answer field, and press tilde. A window should popup saying "keycode:  191". If not, tell me what exactly shows up. In case no window pops up, try pressing tilde again, and if that doesn't work, type anything, see whether a window pops up in those cases. Note that this "debug edit" will break Wanikani reviews temporarily, to fix them just revert to the previous version.

This is exactly the kind of thingĀ I wanted! This is sure to take a lot of stress off of my reviews.Ā Thank you very much.

ruipgpinheiro said... Umm, so I found some time to test Safari compatibility, but it seems SIMBL is required for Greasekit and that doesn't work on Windows. I'm really sorry, but there's not much that I can do without installing OSX inside a VM, something that would take way too much work.

If someone else with some javascript knowledge and access to a Mac could look into it, I'd appreciate it. Other than that, if the Error console shows nothing, there's not much I can do. Only thing I can suggest is using another browser :(
 OK no problem, thanks for even trying. Others would have just said I was SOL from the jump. I wish I knew enough to troubleshoot myself. 

Cheers for this script, so many times, usually late at night when im out of concentration, would miss type theĀ letter or swap reading/meaning Ā :D

Thank you for this script! After many requests Iā€™ve integrated it into WaniKani Mobile (the android app). Iā€™d like to credit you in the menu item of the app and the store listing of the app onĀ google play. This is how I ported the app:

https://github.com/WaniKani/Android-Notification/blob/lreviews/src/com/wanikani/androidnotifier/IgnoreButton.java

Please let me know if thatā€™s ok for you. (And , BTW,Ā it works like a charm :slight_smile:

s84606 said... Thank you for this script! After many requests I've integrated it into WaniKani Mobile (the android app). I'd like to credit you in the menu item of the app and the store listing of the app on google play. This is how I ported the app:

https://github.com/WaniKani/Android-Notification/blob/lreviews/src/com/wanikani/androidnotifier/IgnoreButton.java

Please let me know if that's ok for you. (And , BTW, it works like a charm :)

Argh! I sooooo need this for my phone. My error count goes through the roof with my phone! Alas! No Android....
s84606 said... Thank you for this script! After many requests I've integrated it into WaniKani Mobile (the android app). I'd like to credit you in the menu item of the app and the store listing of the app on google play. This is how I ported the app:

Please let me know if that's ok for you. (And , BTW, it works like a charm :)
Sure! It's actually an honor that you'd want to include my script on your amazing app :)
I actually used to use Wanikani Mobile, and I only stopped using it because it didn't have this script and it was pretty easy to do typos on the touch screen keyboard...

By the way, feel free to remove all the
//==UserScript==
tags if you don't need them. Also, I don't think it's necessary to include the whole description if you don't want to, since it's quite large. Other than the licensing, the only "important part" is really the disclaimer and maybe an URL to this thread. I actually suggest you do something like show the disclaimer or something similar to the user the first time they use the ignore button, so everybody knows what they're getting into if they use this "cheat".
You can also ommit the changelog, since the URL to this thread would have that information.

Something like this? (I can't get the WK forums to format this correctly, but you can see what I mean, I hope)
==== Wanikani Override 1.0.4 ====
== by LordGravewish ==

For more information about this script including its changelog go to
/t/Wanikani-Override-Userscript-112-Ignore-Answer-Button-No-longer-supported/2846/1

DISCLAIMER:
I am not responsible for any problems caused by this script.

Also, anyone using this script is responsible for using it correctly.
This should be used only if you make an honest mistake but actually knew the correct
answer. Using it in any other way will harm your Kanji learning process,
cheating will only make learning Japanese harder and you'll end up harming only yourselves!
If you prefer, instead of crediting my userscripts.org username (LordGravewish) or my Wanikani name (ruipgpinheiro), feel free to use my real name (Rui Pinheiro).

Thanks, I look forward to the update. Now I won't have to hesitate before using my android phone to do reviews :)
ruipgpinheiro said...Sure! It's actually an honor that you'd want to include my script on your amazing app :)
I actually used to use Wanikani Mobile, and I only stopped using it because it didn't have this script and it was pretty easy to do typos on the touch screen keyboard...

By the way, feel free to remove all the
//==UserScript==
tags if you don't need them. Also, I don't think it's necessary to include the whole description if you don't want to, since it's quite large. Other than the licensing, the only "important part" is really the disclaimer and maybe an URL to this thread. I actually suggest you do something like show the disclaimer or something similar to the user the first time they use the ignore button, so everybody knows what they're getting into if they use this "cheat".
You can also ommit the changelog, since the URL to this thread would have that information.

Something like this? (I can't get the WK forums to format this correctly, but you can see what I mean, I hope)
==== Wanikani Override 1.0.4 ==== == by LordGravewish ==

For more information about this script including its changelog go to
/t/Wanikani-Override-Userscript-112-Ignore-Answer-Button-No-longer-supported/2846/1

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any problems caused by this script.

Also, anyone using this script is responsible for using it correctly. This should be used only if you make an honest mistake but actually knew the correct answer. Using it in any other way will harm your Kanji learning process, cheating will only make learning Japanese harder and you'll end up harming only yourselves!
If you prefer, instead of crediting my userscripts.org username (LordGravewish) or my Wanikani name (ruipgpinheiro), feel free to use my real name (Rui Pinheiro).

Thanks, I look forward to the update. Now I won't have to hesitate before using my android phone to do reviews :)
Great! Thank you for your suggestions: I've implemented them. In particular the text message at first usage seems very sensible to me.
I've integrated your script as a part of a patch that has some major improvements and I'm distributing out of google play, till it's stable enough. 
The good thing is that I can put experimental features like this as soon as the come available. So here's the APK, let me know if you have further feedback:
             https://www.dropbox.com/s/0r4rp3welkq8zu2/WaniKaniMobile-1.5.1-lrev5.apk
The ignore answer button is one of the application menu items, that appears only when you enter a wrong answer. 

EskimoJo said...

Argh! I sooooo need this for my phone. My error count goes through the roof with my phone! Alas! No Androidā€¦

Hmā€¦ Iā€™d like to, but I believe itā€™s very difficult porting an Android app onto other environments, especially when it tweaks with web pages. Which OS do you have?

For those who really really want this script on your iPad, purchase Virtual Firefox and install GreaseMonkey. A bit expensive and slow, because itā€™s running your Firefox on a virtual server somewhereā€¦but it works. I also installed XMarks and can finally sync my laptop with my iPad.

@onepartninja
There seems to be a different Greasemonkey implementation for Safari called NinjaKit that is worth a try, I found it on reddit. It also seems it doesnā€™t require SIMBL, by the way.

Is it just me or has this userscript stopped working? Iā€™m using it on the latest Firefox with Greasemonkey but whenever I press Ignore Answer nothing happensā€¦

This should be added to the Chrome store, lol.