WaniKani Mobile - [End of Support]

I completely agree with your reasons for not including the number of lessons that may or may not be waiting.  I’d mentioned it earlier because I had the earlier version of the app (oops) that still listed the number of lessons, but the newer version doesn’t list lessons at all (which is totally fine with me).

I’m really enjoying the app and really liking the visual design of it.  Looking forward to what you come up with next!

Thanks! 
Actually, sometimes I feel I publish new releases too frequently :)
Just a few hours ago I had to publish yet another release, to fix a bug that was reported through Google Play. 
Never mind, this version is quite interesting since it introduces a review screen featuring a small keyboard that (at least on my phone) seems to interact with the review page the way WK is intended to.
Now I’ll start working on item lists. By the way, @Akotaro, if you have some code you whish to share, feel free to do it. Data retrieval and parsing was pretty easy and is almost done, but rendering that in an usable matter (especially on small handsets) seems challenging…

The item browser is beautiful. Thank you so much for adding this feature! I’ve been wanting a way to review everything so easily.

Great app, man. Thanks to you I’m using WaniKani several times per day, reviewing items as soon as I see the notification on my phone. The embedded keyboard just works, really loved it because with auto capitalize on SwiftKey it makes a bit harder to do the reviews. And I agree with RoxyGet, the item browser was a nice addition :smiley:

I have a few suggestions:

1) Bring back the “you can unlock X items” info. After I discovered your app, I started to use WaniKani on my phone a lot more :slight_smile:

2) I don’t know if this is possible, but I also would like to learn (lessons) the items using your app. Maybe adding notifications when we get new unlocked items? I hate to use swiftkey to type, because of the auto capitalize I always have to press shift before typing romaji on WaniKani, so your embedded keyboard would be very welcome

3) Open more stuff in the internal browser (like, when I click to see an item)

4) Option to show “42+ items to review” instead of the real number. I found out that I tend to leave it to do later when I see the real number (like over 100 reviews) lol

5) I don’t know how many people use the “enter” key on the embedded keyboard, but I think it should be removed to avoid sending an answer when you meant to press “backspace” or “space” or “m”, but pressed “enter” because your fingers are too fat lol

BTW, push as many updates as you want, I like when my apps are updated xD

Thank you again!

Hi, thank you for you suggestions!
1) Do you mean the “you can unlock ## items” does not show up anymore? I did not intend to remove that feature, and I think it still appears on my phone (currently I have no pending lessons, so I’m not sure, but I’ll check);
2) Yeah, I started putting together something on this area but it was a little bit trickier than the reviews part, and I was not much satisfied with the results.  I stopped working on it because Viet has announced that he’s going to change that page. If I can come up with something useful, however, I’ll make it available in the next release.
3) I see the point: currently the external browser is still opened when clicking on an item and when starting reviews. Should be easy to make it appear in the internal browser.
4) Agreed :slight_smile:
5) That’s EXACTLY what I feared most. Another nasty case is when the “heart” button sticks slightly out of the keyboard and you press it when you intended to press backspace or “p”. On the other hand, the enter button is important because it contextually hides the keyboard. This is important on very small screens like mine (mini s2): if the keyboard is shown, it completely overlaps the “hints” baloon and you’ll probably never know that e.g. an item has many possible meanings. I’ll make it optional as well.

Hey man, I’m currently using this on my phone and loving it.

Sorry for the late reply. Updated WK Notifier and everything is working fine (including the “you can unlock xx items”), thank you for implementing my suggestions. My brother is using too, we’re both loving your app. Very stable, no problems at all :heart:

Hi, I’m glad it all works fine. It was fun implementing your suggestions :slight_smile:
Fortunately I’ve just unlocked a bunch of lessons on which to test the embedded keyboard, so I’ve just uploaded a new APK which “completes” the release by implementing also item #2 in your list . Should appear on the store in a few hours.

Been using this for a while now and it really does help me keep on top of my reviews (or maybe more accurately, keep me better appraised of how lazy I’m being).  But just 2 requests:

1. Either make the embedded keyboard larger or remove its enter key.

As you can see, the keyboard is much smaller on my screen than on your posted screenshots - I’ve measured it at just 1 inch tall - so it’s a bit of a challenge to hit the right keys.  Actually, assuming that your screenshots show the embedded keyboard, this could just be a device versioning issue… in which case I’m on a 4.1.2 Droid Razr Maxx (no custom ROM) :3

2. Programmatically instruct the textviews to display the Japanese version of the Chinese characters.  This doesn’t really affect most kanji, but for some like 直 (hey, it looks like the Chinese version here too) it does significantly affect the appearance.

I’ve been using this and 鰐蟹Droid. So far, I like the pace that this one is taking a bit more as far as features and options go. I think it’s worth looking at the other one though. (For example, the “recent unlocks” is a bit weird over here right now compared to the other)

As far as my own two cents (minor things):
1) I like that I can hide the embedded keyboard if I turn off the enter key function in the settings. Though, I would like an option to remove it all the way, personally. This is because I am so used to the Swype keyboard and so that I won’t have to hide it every new time I open the app.
2) On the “Items” screen, I would prefer that touching anywhere on the item takes me to its page, not just on the translation.
3) Also (and this may be outside of your control—if so, no worries), but I am used to Swype autospacing my words whenever I input text by swyping it; however, this is treating the input field more like an addressbar and not doing that.

I’m having this odd thing happen with the Android notifier that seems to be saying that I’ve completed some of the radicals and kanji for the level, even though I haven’t.  I’m not sure if it’s signifying something else or maybe it’s just a bug… 

Sorry for the poor image of my phone… No screenshot app installed :frowning:  The Text next to Radicals reads 18/19 remaining, Kanji says 36/40 remaining.

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions. Back from a small vacation and I needed some ideas for an intermediate release before diving into the charting mayhem :slight_smile:

@Ankotaro:
1.  Actually, if my snapshots make the keyboard look pretty large, it’s just an optical illusion. I have a very small device (mini s2), and the keyboard is 1 inch tall for me too. I’d like to add a resizing handle, so people can choose the most practical size… however if that should prove more difficult than expected, I’ll probably resort to a more prosaic “resize” button. In the meantime, you can disable the enter key through the “Review Keyboard Enter” setting.
2. Ok, it’s a good idea. Not sure if that will be easy on the integrated browser too, but doing this on the item browser should be easy

@Inserio:
1) I see your point. I’ll add an option for disabling the embedded keyboard in the integrated browser too
2) I remember that touch events are quite tricky there, because there’s a conflict between the item slides and the tabbed view. A simple click events, however, should be easy to implement;
3) Hm… never used Swype keyboard. I’ll check if I can do something. Is this issue present also when you are using the default android browser?
Just wondering: why recent unlocks look strage? Is that the sorting order? I’m asking because I’ve just discovered that “sort by time” is not working (fixed on master trunk, anyhow)

@desocietas:
Yeah, that sentence it’s a little bit cryptic, and I could not find a way to make it understandable :slight_smile:
The meaning of e.g. “36/40 remaining” is:  of the 40 Kanji which are still apprentice, you need to guru at least 36 to level up. Probabily it becomes clearer as you approach the 90% threshold.

s84606 said...@desocietas:
Yeah, that sentence it's a little bit cryptic, and I could not find a way to make it understandable :)
The meaning of e.g. "36/40 remaining" is:  of the 40 Kanji which are still apprentice, you need to guru at least 36 to level up. Probabily it becomes clearer as you approach the 90% threshold.
 Ohhhh ok, I got it.  Yeah, I can't think of any other way to say it either... thanks for the clarification!
s84606 said...@Inserio:
1) I see your point. I'll add an option for disabling the embedded keyboard in the integrated browser too
2) I remember that touch events are quite tricky there, because there's a conflict between the item slides and the tabbed view. A simple click events, however, should be easy to implement;
3) Hm... never used Swype keyboard. I'll check if I can do something. Is this issue present also when you are using the default android browser?
Just wondering: why recent unlocks look strage? Is that the sorting order? I'm asking because I've just discovered that "sort by time" is not working (fixed on master trunk, anyhow)
Thanks for adding the disable option. That makes things easier for me.
Yeah, the keyboard thing happens when I use the default browser, which is why I was hesitant in saying it's possible to change.

When you answer a review and it says the pronunciation out loud for you...is that something that can be toggled off and on somewhere? If I'm reviewing in a quiet place, it's kinda awkward to have a voice yelling Japanese at me unless I mute the media volume.

Also, the recent unlocks sorting order appears to be better now, but now the blocks aren't quite big enough, or the text is too big, or there's an extra blank line that doesn't need to be there. It's causing the text to look like this:

Thanks for the image. I think it’s an OS dependent issue, because on my phone all the items are shown correctly.
However I managed to reproduce it on an emulator, and I fixed this on the master branch (should be published by Google play soon).
I did not know that, when reviewing, WK plays the pronunciation aloud. Again, it’s something that happens using the stock browser too, right? In that case I can think up something, like a “mute button” somewhere on the review page that has an effect only when the app is in foreground (I’m not sure it’s easy to tweak the html page directly).

A mute button would be awesome, though I found the cause. In WaniKani settings, there’s an option to turn on the audio, but it apparently does it on any device.

Aah! I totally forgot to thank you for the update.  >.<  ありがとうございます!

And to think that I was going to try to make something on my own.  This is far better than anything I would have come up with in a remotely comparable amount of time.  Great work.

Just two more requests which have nothing to do with the review system (that part’s golden):
1. Filters to just see either radicals, kanji, or vocab on the unlocked items page
2. Some sort of search feature for the unlocked items page (no need to query the WK servers this way) and maybe even some love for my poor capacitive search key. It feels underemployed :)

I’ve been using Wanikani notifier almost exclusively on my tablet, but when I logged on to the website from my PC, I realised I missed quite a few lessons.  It would be great if it were also notifying of pending lessons. 

Ankotaro said...Just two more requests which have nothing to do with the review system (that part's golden):
1. Filters to just see either radicals, kanji, or vocab on the unlocked items page
2. Some sort of search feature for the unlocked items page (no need to query the WK servers this way) and maybe even some love for my poor capacitive search key. It feels underemployed :)
I think I could combine the two features, by adding an extra "filter", that displays a small window at the bottom, on which to type the text to search for. It should be possible to filter the results by type, and will be bound to the search key. Only thing that looks challenging is searching by Japanese text, which implies some simple IME-like algorithm. Probably this will be a later addition.

b00geyman said... I've been using Wanikani notifier almost exclusively on my tablet, but when I logged on to the website from my PC, I realised I missed quite a few lessons.  It would be great if it were also notifying of pending lessons. 
Currently, available lessons are signalled by a small padlock on the dashboard. However you are not the first to suggest a notification icon on the top bar, so I think It's time to add also this (optional) feature :)

Thanks, cheers

hello, just wanted to say thanks for adding the mute button - usually I like to hear the audio, but sometimes I’m in a quiet place without my headphones, or I don’t want to bug my housemates :slight_smile: thanks again!