Wanikani memes

Actual usage of 企てる 企てる #sentences - Jisho.org
does not appear to support the plain english definition of ‘plan’ either.

彼女は自殺を企てた。
She attempted suicide.

彼は試験で不正行為をしようとくわだ企てていた 。
He contrived to cheat in the examination.

投資家グループは企業買収を企てています。
An investors’ group is attempting a leveraged buy-out of the firm.

It appears that other synonyms such as “attempt” are more accurate, though also not exact. It’s good to remember that one-to-one translations between languages rarely exist, especially when they don’t share roots (such as latin)

yeah, “attempt” seems closer in these cases, with a connotation of planning or seeking a goal, though sometimes “plan” seems fine. But you said it yourself, one-to-one translations are difficult/limited, especially between japanese and english. So i’m fine with close enough matches, and getting a better feel for the word in context (later). Thanks for the example sentences, i think i got a better feel already :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What’s the percentage of farmers driving their manure trucks to the church and making them explode?

3 Likes

How many of us?

11 Likes

Definitely not me

I don’t look like that

1 Like

This remind me and my colleague when I was working as a construction labourer :rofl:

1 Like

Well, it’d say it looks just like me!

just lose 80 pounds of muscle…
and add some fat…
and change the hair…

4 Likes

This one goes out to @Rushian_Asset

And this one’s a blend of new and old.

I’m sorry, did you mean 16th vocab for feeling?

8 Likes

(inspired by Dogen’s classic tweet:)

40 Likes

I feel this one so much. I really wish the context sentences were based on or at least relative to your Wanikani level. Meaning use mostly words that you have already learned.

3 Likes

Absolutely! I’ve also thought that would be great. Probably not easy to implement.

1 Like

Now where would be the fun in that, hmmm? :smiley:

What does the rabbit but with a drop in each piece mean? Haven’t learned it yet, kinda curious :B

1 Like

17 Likes

Egg. たまご :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I love learning kanji outside of wanikani because I never forget it! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: like five mouths saying something make a language and is read kata because it is the way in which one speaks (語)… and with two drops of luck, your rabbit will be the easter bunny, and lay eggs! 卵 :joy:

2 Likes

41 Likes

I believe the lower one is 「たまご」, meaning “egg”.

Edit:

Beat me to the punch!

2 Likes

is that an extremely irate, extremely distorted and blurry pepe in the background or have i just started seeing memes where there even aren’t any? :laughing: #rorschach

7 Likes

17 Likes