Wanikani memes

So interesting how everyone uses their own little different mnemonics, especially for the more basic, beginner-level kanji.

I have yet another way of differentiating (ひだり) and (みぎ). Admittedly, maybe not really intuitive at all in comparison, but because these were some of my very first kanji learned, I used to remind myself that (みぎ) was the “easier one to write” of the two. I’m right-handed, so that stuck kinda. Well, then there was the other mnemonic for the readings… (ひだり) has an r-sound in it (like the word “right”), so I just remembered that the ones I’d at first expect to be right is actually left and vice versa.

All that got me, was that once I’d become more confident in guessing the correct reading/meaning of the kanji, all that “pick the incorrect one instead”-logic flew out of the window, as my initial hunch was now the correct one. That’s why I try to never again use that kind of logic in remembering stuff… :rofl:

I think I might have later adopted the mnemonic of noticing the way the first stroke of both kanji either goes from left to right in (ひだり), or from right to left in (みぎ).

Ich wünschte, ich wäre da früher auch drauf gekommen! :laughing:

4 Likes

Aye, I remembered for a while that “hida-right is wrong, and thus left”.

One other trick that someone pointed out here on the forums is that り (as in ひだり) finishes with a curve to the left, while ぎ (as in みぎ) finishes with a curve to the right.

My other trick is to play eenie-meenie-minie-mo, always remembering to start with the left - hi-da-ri = left-right-left = left; mi-gi = left-right = right.

7 Likes

I love it. The possibilities are endless! haha

1 Like

We need to flatten the curve!

4ntmre

45 Likes

If you are a fan of boxing manga like Hajime No Ippo. The Migi-Hidari combo is burned into memory. The right is almost always the Cannon - the big shot, and left is more of a pace and range setter.

And I always confused between right and stone (it was hard for me to notice the tiny tip on right and the absence of it on stone during the early days). So right is hard as a stone and the left is flexible relating - to your fist and fingers analogy :slightly_smiling_face:

It is always Coach Kamogawa’s image in my head shouting Migi, Hidari and Ippo punching into his mitts :grin:

8 Likes

34 Likes

23 Likes

19 Likes

21 Likes

Accidentally refreshing on slow internet and losing all your review progress

tenor (1)

21 Likes

40 Likes

Finally burning that leech :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
3119207-tumblr_n13vm6r9s61qdadc6o2_500

32 Likes

I love your profile pic. Earthbound is one of my favorite games!

1 Like

tenor(4)

9 Likes

did anyone ever think about how some of the graphics for when you have too many lessons are made specifically for script abusers? If you dont abuse scripts the amount of lessons that can pile up is pretty limited isn it?

4 Likes

There’s a setting under account info that allows you to put the lessons on “shuffeled”, randomizing the order in which items appear. You could use it to strategically skip vocab, thus letting your lessons pile up.

So it’s not impossible, although it’s not really practical.

3 Likes

I think the max would be around 250? Two levels worth of vocab, and all the associated kanji and radicals.

1 Like

I know the “how to remember 左 and 右” thing was supposed to be over a few posts ago but I want an excuse to share this video:

23 Likes

250 already seems pretty high - I’ve never gone past 201, and without script abuse I’m not sure you can get much higher than 210-220, unless you specifically work towards it, like BIsTheAnswer indicates (shuffle lessons and refresh a lot or get very lucky). It does mean that the last two images (250+ and 500+) would be very rare without scripts.

4 Likes

Ooh, I love that guy! He’s so creative and skilled in his craft; seems like he never runs out of ideas. Thanks for sharing. Haven’t seen that one yet lol

4 Likes