Wanikani Companion available (for free) on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10

Hi there,

I’ve been using Wanikani for a few weeks now and I found it to be great and a fun way to learn Japanese.
Since I am a developer - and because I finally found some free time - I wrote myself a little companion app for the Windows Store. It is Windows 8.1+ and 10 compatible and) It has been certified by Microsoft this morning. So it should be available to anyone that searches for “wanikani” in the store.

It’s nothing incredible at the moment : you are able to see your avatar, the number of available lessons/reviews, your current level advancement, and how many words have been mastered so far. You can also directly click on the profile, lessons and reviews to open these pages in your default browser.
The two “cool” features however are:

• the live tile, which is updated from time to time with the latest information
  • the toast notifications, which can be configured to popup whenever there are enough reviews available
It’s a universal app, but I did not do the windows phone part (yet, at least).

Comments (negative or positive) are appreciated.

Best regards,

Jalayn

Cool! Really looking forward to it. Especially if you make a mobile version.

That’s great! Thanks for your hard work! I will be using it definitely, but it seems to be not available in the store yet. 

Hi. Just started using this today. The pop up alerts are very useful especially since I tend to forget the time :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot!

Glad that it can be helpful, and not just to me !
The app should now be available to anyone, whether it is on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 (at least it’s what Microsoft tells me :-))

Hey @jalayn, it isn’t showing my level progression properly

EDIT: Crap, nevermind, it was right.

Hey @json, you may have been right in fact.

The number of calls to the wanikani website is limited to 100/hour (at least, that’s what it says on the api page).
To respect that, I’ve added a timer that checks the data every 15 minutes. So, it is entirely possible that the numbers don’t match… for a few minutes :slight_smile:
Same goes for the live tile update of course.

Thanks for downloading the app :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Jalayn

Looks great, any chance of this notifying you of reviews becoming available? There is a chrome extension but I currently use firefox.

Hey @Riari,

If you move the reviews notification slider to a number higher than 0, it should post toast notifications when the number of reviews reaches that number, and every time that number goes up after that:

Let me know if it does not work for some reason.

Best regards,

Jalayn

I’ve managed to resolve a problem of the store not opening, but when I opened the app for the first time it sat on the first screen and does nothing at all.

Image:
http://puu.sh/q4IkF/470ad204e6.png

This is awesome! Thanks! Love the feature to be able to receive notifications.

Thanks for the screenshot @Riari. Well I had other problems while developing the app, but never this one. 
This just is the splash screen, and it should briefly flash before displaying the form allowing to enter the API key.

Does it work properly if you kill the app and launch it again ?
And, are you using it on an tablet, or PC? 

Thanks !

hoolysego said... This is awesome! Thanks! Love the feature to be able to receive notifications.
Thanks a lot !
I'm happy it is useful to others too :-)
jalayn said... Thanks for the screenshot @Riari. Well I had other problems while developing the app, but never this one. 
This just is the splash screen, and it should briefly flash before displaying the form allowing to enter the API key.

Thanks !
 I'm on a PC running 8.1, the same thing happens if I kill it and relaunch, even after reboot.

When I saw this title I was really hoping it was on the phone lol. If I ever upgrade from 7 on my laptop I’ll definitely check it out! Hope you can help iron out some of the bugs here? Sounds like a good app :slight_smile:

Riari said...
jalayn said... Thanks for the screenshot @Riari. Well I had other problems while developing the app, but never this one. 

Thanks !
 I'm on a PC running 8.1, the same thing happens if I kill it and relaunch, even after reboot.
 @Riari, I'll take a look whenever possible and attempt to find the problem. I don't have any PC running on Win 8.1 however, though there is nothing groundbreaking in the app, and it should have worked without any problem. 
JackTsuchiyama said... When I saw this title I was really hoping it was on the phone lol. If I ever upgrade from 7 on my laptop I'll definitely check it out! Hope you can help iron out some of the bugs here? Sounds like a good app :)
 Hey, I did not know there were possible Windows Phone users. I am one of them but sometimes I feel very alone :-) I really hope Microsoft's retreat-regroup-attack strategy works fine and that they will be back with cool new Surface phones.
I have a day off next Monday ; I'll then attempt to fix bugs on the Windows version and start working on the Phone version.

I’m also a windows phone user! Although mine’s really old anyway and probably couldn’t run it properly anyway… But at least you’re not alone on windows phone!

Speaking of Windows Phone app, it’d be great if you could make it more complex with review enable with some scripts for example like an android app enables you to.

wkirby2 said... I'm also a windows phone user! Although mine's really old anyway and probably couldn't run it properly anyway... But at least you're not alone on windows phone!
So cool to know other Windows Phone fans :-)

As for your phone, even if it's old, if it's at least upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1, it should run fine (once I publish it!).
There is not a lot going on, and it should not be a memory hog.