Vocabulary Usage Practice

So how do you guys practice using the vocabulary you learn (either from Wanikani or from regular textbooks)? I’ve yet to find a method that allows me to recall my vocabulary outside of a worksheet or flashcard (i.e. during a conversation) and wanted to know what methods anyone here used to improve on that. Thank you.

1 Like

I’m not sure how well this will work for you, but when I was studying Japanese in uni, my professors would make us define vocabulary words using Japanese instead of English. It’s kind of a rough road if your vocabulary is limited, but it might inspire you to look up how to say the stuff you want to convey (YMMV). If you’re at a much lower level, you can also just look at stuff in your daily life and try to recall the word in Japanese (or whatever target language).

Another thing is that I’m kind of crappy at coming up with things to say on the spot, even in my native language. As a result, I sometimes formulate conversations I might have in my head, way ahead of time. I used to do this with any languages I was learning or getting prepared to speak in, but again, YMMV.

Reading books in Japanese. In a book club, for example. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Reading, reading, reading. And listening. Just interact with media in Japanese. You can start with easy stuff. Manga tends to be easy, as the pictures can help you figure out stuff you don’t 100% understand.

Also, finding conversation partners using something like HelloTalk helps.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.