[Userstyle/userscript] Lesson/review Explanation Width

Lesson/review Explanation Width

This is a custom style that limits the width of meaning/reading explanations on lessons and reviews to 600px (or more precisely 37.5rem), making them a little easier to read.

Before

After

Installation

Open the userstyles.org link above and either:

• click on the “Install with Stylish” button if you have their extension installed
  • click on the “Install style as userscript” link near the bottom of the page if you have a userscript extension such as Tampermonkey installed [edit: if you don’t see this link, you may be seeing a different version of the site - more details on the different site versions here]

Customisation

You can customise the max width using the “Customize” button on Stylish/userstyles.org.

Why?

By default, the info panel on lessons and reviews spans almost the full width of your window. For windows larger than around 800px, this results in a sub-optimal reading experience, particularly for meaning and reading explanations. You can read more about optimal text element widths here. This is also an accessibility issue.

Code

The code can be found both on the release page and on my Nihongo scripts repo. The userscript version on Stylish is automatically generated by the site - I didn’t write the old-school JavaScript code!

10 Likes

THANK YOU!!! I been waiting for someone to make this for so long :pray:t2: :pray:t2:

1 Like

Glad it’s useful to someone else!

1 Like

I’ve shipped an update to this style. It’s almost completely rewritten to work better for all the important contexts I could think of:

• radicals, kanji and vocabulary
  • lessons before the quiz, lesson during the quiz and reviews
  • any screen size

The first version only really worked for lessons pre-quiz, and later versions that covered more contexts still had various quirks that I’ve now ironed out. Should now be good at most screen sizes

Let me know if you spot anything that doesn’t look quite right/optimal!

The update can be installed by going back to the userstyles.org page and clicking on the install link again

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ll be sure to let you know if I find anything! It’s already been very helpful without any problem :pray:t2:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for making this script, @yndajas. :slightly_smiling_face:
So far, I haven’t noticed anything off with the lessons using your script. In case I do, I’ll inform you about it.

1 Like

Just did some lessons and noticed the width keeps changing between the sections, especially when the context sentence is longer than usual it basically goes to the full width. Is there a way to have it in a fix width and have the text wrapped?
You mentioned in the post a way to limit the width but I couldn’t find the customize button in the link :thinking:

Just did some lessons and noticed the width keeps changing between the sections, especially when the context sentence is longer than usual it basically goes to the full width. Is there a way to have it in a fix width and have the text wrapped?

Would you be able to provide some screenshots of where you’re seeing unwanted behaviour, and let me know what you’d expect? The width does currently change between the sections with and without explanations, because it’s basically as wide as it needs to be for each section and no wider. For the sections with explanations (meaning/reading), it should be the same width all the time unless there are any really short explanations with only one line of less than 600px

I didn’t really optimise it for other sections beyond fitting the content since I never really use them, but I’m happy to make some adjustments. I might be able to set those sentences to wrap if I can access some examples

You mentioned in the post a way to limit the width but I couldn’t find the customize button in the link :thinking:

Annoyingly, it looks like Stylish/userstyles.org are running some A/B testing on their site. I just opened the site in an incognito window and it looks very different, and has no clear way of installing this as a userscript (locking you into using their extension :neutral_face:)

Below are the two versions of the site:

What I see outside incognito

What I see in incognito

If you’re seeing the first image, the customise button is at the top next to a cog. If you’re seeing the second image, the cog is there on its own without a text label

I’m not 100% sure whether the customise button affects the userscript install or just the install via their extension - let me know if it doesn’t work for you

If you want to install this as a userscript and are seeing the version of the site in the second image, I have found one way to load the other version of the site. If you install a cookie editor like EditThisCookie, you can change the split_test_version cookie from nextjs to app50. I can provide more detailed instructions if needed

Cookie that determines which version of the site you see

Is what you’d like as simple as this? This is just setting the maximum width of the context sentences panel to the same as the meaning/reading explanations. As you can see, it automatically wraps the second sentence in Japanese. Let me know if this would work and I can push an update

Sorry for the late reply, I kinda missed this!
Yeah I think this would be great!! :smiling_face:

Sorry for the delay - been a bit busy lately! I’ve updated the style to set the max width on context sentences in lessons. I need to wait a few hours until I have vocab reviews to check the CSS selectors for context sentences there - will update when I can!

Let me know if anything doesn’t look right, or if there’s anything else that would improve this :blush:

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you so much!! I haven’t done any new lessons today, but I’ll let you know if there’s any problem :+1:t2:

Actually I think it should already be fine in reviews, so hopefully last night’s change will have covered everything

1 Like

@yndajas it seems to be broken with the new update :pensive:

1 Like

Oof. I’ve been off WaniKani for a bit while preparing to move. I’ll try to find some time after I move next week to take a look! Do @ me if I forget :blush:

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you!
Good luck with the move, hope it all goes as smoothly as it can, take your time :pray:t2:

1 Like