[Userscript] WaniKani Similar Kanji

tomboy said...
EriolAB said... Ingenious idea! Thanks a lot! 
Although it might be a hell of a lot of work, why not start a thread where everyone adds the Kanji they always get confused so that they can be added to the list? Although, implementing that would probably mean a hell of a lot of work for you... Maybe there's a way to automatize this?
Adding elements it easy on my part, I just don't know how I feel about adding every suggestion, because the definition of similarity is based on opinion, and that possibily means having way too many items in the list.
But of course it's always an option to have this basic radical based dataset and a separate one with all the community ones added without any moderation, and everyone can choose which one they'd like to use.

So ppl who are planning to use this, what do you think?
I think it's a great idea to use two different sets. You might be able to edit your script to have a section for each set, like, say: radical-based similarities on the left, user-opinion-based confusion on the right? or just an on-off switch for either as you suggested?
I personally think the whole thing is great and would love to see this taken to the next step!

Tomboy, you rock!

EriolAB said...
tomboy said...
EriolAB said... Ingenious idea! Thanks a lot! 
Although it might be a hell of a lot of work, why not start a thread where everyone adds the Kanji they always get confused so that they can be added to the list? Although, implementing that would probably mean a hell of a lot of work for you... Maybe there's a way to automatize this?
Adding elements it easy on my part, I just don't know how I feel about adding every suggestion, because the definition of similarity is based on opinion, and that possibily means having way too many items in the list.
But of course it's always an option to have this basic radical based dataset and a separate one with all the community ones added without any moderation, and everyone can choose which one they'd like to use.

So ppl who are planning to use this, what do you think?
I think it's a great idea to use two different sets. You might be able to edit your script to have a section for each set, like, say: radical-based similarities on the left, user-opinion-based confusion on the right? or just an on-off switch for either as you suggested?
I personally think the whole thing is great and would love to see this taken to the next step!

Sounds good, I like the idea, I'll try to implement it!

EDIT: should be done :)

I just messed up:

援 Aid
授 Instruct

Should probably add these.

Awesome! Thanks so much, tomboy!! :slight_smile:
This is really the best userscript since wanikani customizer or burn reviews! ^-^

THANK YOU

lsh3rd said... I just messed up: 援 Aid
授 Instruct
Should probably add these.
 If anyone wants additions to the community set, please post here: /t/Which-Kanji-Do-You-Always-Confuse/8901/1
And I can refresh the list every week ot so if there are changes.

Tomboy, is there any way to dump the list of similar kanji for each kanji? I’d love to have an Excel spreadsheet with all the WK kanji and the ones this script would identify as similar.

@Breadstick: sure, can you do the conversion from json, or do you want me to do it?
If you want to do it yourself, here’s all the data: https://wk-similar-kanji.herokuapp.com/kanji

BTW I updated the database with the latest community pairs.

I can deal with this. Thanks!!

See below…

Good stuff Tomboy and thank you for a most useful script.

BTW, it seems to be working on Firefox v38.05 for me.

Hi, regarding including it in reviews (which would be amazing! Why not inject the CSS of the other page into the review page? If the css name is dynamic, we could download the page, analyze the header and inject the CSS then.
I can help, I’m a web developer

sdistefano said... Hi, regarding including it in reviews (which would be amazing! Why not inject the CSS of the other page into the review page? If the css name is dynamic, we could download the page, analyze the header and inject the CSS then.
I can help, I'm a web developer
The assets have some unique key which I suppose can change with new deploys.
I don't feel too good about downloading the page / ripping the css, but hey, feel free to play around with the script, the gorundwork is done, you'll just have to add the content.

The nicest thing would be if the WK dev guys could inlcude the specific style for the reviews too... but I'm pretty sure they have many things to do, so I don't wnat to nag them with things like this.

Thanks! Can’t wait to try it.

Is it possible to remove the duplicates from the display?

gth99 said... Is it possible to remove the duplicates from the display?

Done!

FYI I’m getting mails like this quite often now (greasyfork shows 53 installs): 

heroku

Hi,

Your app wk-similar-kanji is running on free dynos and has been active for more than 18 of the last 24 hours. Normally, your app would recharge for the next 6 hours. Don’t worry, your app is still running. Right now we’re simply sending notifications. Beginning August 15th, your application will receive up to three warnings per month after which it will need to recharge.

Why are you receiving this and what can you do?

• Your app is becoming more popular. Upgrade your app to Hobby dynos for $7 per dyno per month so it never sleeps and users can access it 24×7.

• A monitoring service could unintentionally be keeping your app awake for more than 18 hours a day. Run heroku logs -t to view your app’s logs to see if this is the case and remove Pingdom, New Relic or other availability monitoring services that are not required for a free development app.

• Your application may be receiving traffic from some other automated source. In order to sync up your app’s sleep cycle with your own, scale it down before going to bed. In the morning, turn your app back on.

• Your application may not have a web process at all. Once worker-only apps are started, they run for 18 hours and then recharge for 6 hours. After this your dynos will be started again. You can avoid this by upgrading to a hobby dyno, or by manually scaling down your application for six hours at a time that is convenient for you.

Dyno sleeping lets us provide you and millions of other users with a free tier for experimenting, hacking on personal projects and even low traffic apps that don’t require 24×7 access.

We’re here to help and would love hear from you or answer any questions athelp.heroku.com or pricing-feedback@heroku.com!

Happy coding, Heroku

I updated the db, so the newly added kanjis should work too!

Awesome! You are the best! Cannot wait to try this thing out!~