[Userscript] WaniKani Lesson Cap

I just wanted to share my “method” here, as it seems to work well for me. It utilizes this script and the reorder script.

1. Upon leveling up, I do all radicals immediately, disregarding my current spice level.
  2. Over the course of the next days, I do current level kanji and all vocab in batches of three* (prioritizing last level vocab over current level.)

* (I do three kanji from this level, three vocab, then three kanji, and so on. This ensures all “level up kanji” are in circulation before I unlock the kanji i get from guruing the “radical-dependent” kanji. At step 2 I adhere to a spice level of 100 (default in this script). As I just “overloaded” my spice from all the radicals, it can take a day or so before it returns back to under 100, so during this time no lessons.)

1. Once I unlock the “radical kanji”, I do these immediately, disregarding my current spice level.
  2. After this, I adhere to the spiciness cap again, doing remaining vocab. (As I just overloaded my spice level again, it can take up to a day before I start doing more lessons).
  3. On level up, return to step 1.

This ensures my reviews are spread out very evenly. I rarely get days with more than 135 reviews, and I very rarely get days with less than 80 reviews. My level up times are not long (around 8-9~ days), but this will of course vary with my accuracy.

Overall, I think the way WK does this by default, giving you periods of no reviews/lessons, and periods of very plentiful lessons/reviews, is not the most efficient way to learn. Better to spread it out a bit.

How do you use this script? Does it work well for you?

1 Like