[Userscript] WaniKani Katakana Madness

Luke-Filewalker said...
Heiopei said... This script unfortunately doesn't seem to work with the "Close but no cigar" script.
While both scripts are active, WK will not accept any answers.
Nothing happens when pressing enter or clicking the arrow. Affects vocabulary.
I will take a look at it when I have some reviews.
Ok it should work now.

Awesome, thanks for the quick update!

Heiopei said...
Impressioniste said... Some kanji readings do not show in katakana for me.

The script works for most characters but some, like 皆 are in hiragana.

Is this a known bug?
 みな、みんな are the kun'yomi readings.

These are supposed to stay as Hiragana.
 Oooh that makes sense! Thanks!

Very nice. I always thought this would be a good feature.

This is immensely powerful for me. The level of work it took to go through and properly identify all the ON and KUN readings must have been ridiculous. While the ON in katakana convention isn’t really required it’ll definitely been good additional exposure to katakana.

THANK YOU

It wasn’t that bad, wanikani saves the kanji together with the reading it is looking for. ^^

On’yomi reading is Chinese reading (old one) hence Katakana to represent them. it’s like that in most dictionaries.

aah, so it was less for education and more for accuracy?

Hey :slight_smile:
would it be possible to give the user the option to NOT automatically convert the input into Katakana? Cause I want to test myself if I can remember if the reading was kun’yomi or on’yomi. And if the script does that for me, I don’t have to remember ^^’

Thank you a lot in advance!
Eagle

Just wanted to add my 2 cents: The convention to use Katakana for On’yomi makes perfect sense, since Katakana is generally used for loanwords (and sound effects, but that’s another topic). Plus of course, it makes it easier to differentiate between the readings in a dictionary.

btw, the Kanji lattice shows all readings of a given Kanji in the same form (either all Hiragana or all Katakana) for me with this script.

Thank you for the feedback. :slight_smile:

Sadly there is no good way to fix this because wanikani saves the readings on this page without differentiating them. I could load them for each lattice from their kanji page but this would be a lot to load I guess. :confused:

It seems that between either WK or the script, some part of the IME was updated and it no longer accepts onyomi readings ending in ん if you don’t type n twice. for example, I used to be able to press enter when “カN” was showing for a かん reading, but now it gives the angry text box shake until you type a second n or ’ or whatever to convert it to ン first.

@Luke-Filewalker started having on’yomi/katakana answers marked as wrong, even when the correct reading shown is still in katakana - just started happening today

It’s not working for me, but I’m not sure why…

Everything is still in Hiragana.

The point is that you’ll see the on’yomi readings in other websites and almost everywhere in katakana since it is not Japanese (it is Chinese reading), also, it might help you being fluent in reading katakana, to master Japanese (or be at least good at it) you need to know Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji. So if you are in contact with katakana it will be easier to use it when needed.