[Userscript] WaniKani Katakana Madness

Working great, thanks for the script!
One thing I noticed is that at the a level screen it doesn’t show katakana for on readings

1 Like

This is great. Possibly my favorite userscript I have come across. Downloading it now!

Ugh… is there way to install the script on an android phone?

I’ve been trying to get this to work on the kanji/vocab/level page but couldn’t so far. It does work on the item’s internal page and during lessons/reviews. I even tried disabling all other userscripts to see if there were any conflicts, but it still didn’t work.

Maybe this is a stretch, but it would be nice if it somehow worked with the semantic-phonetic userscript, but I know this is probably not possible.

Hi
I found few bugs on level and kanji pages. To fix them in script replace the following lines :
99: if (isOnyomi($(this).children(‘.character’).text().replace(/\s/g,‘’), level))
298: switch(level.toUpperCase()) {

This morning WK all of a sudden would not let me do any lessons; as soon as I pressed enter on the first quiz, WK reloaded and made me start learning all over again. Turning off the Katakana Madness script fixed the issue.
Any idea what might be going on here?

3 Likes

i have the exact same issue as well

exact same issue, but in my case it was wanikani niai similar kanji… after turning it off I could take my quiz
Edit: turning either Similarkanji or Katakanamadness off works

It seems WK changed their answerChecker.evaluate function.

Replace the following entries (should be 2 each)

(1) answerChecker.evaluate = function(e,t) {
with
(2) answerChecker.evaluate = function(e,t,c) {

and

(1) return answerChecker.oldEvaluateKM(e,t);
with
(2) return answerChecker.oldEvaluateKM(e,t,c);

8 Likes

Commenting to let OP know that I have the same issue too

Replace them with what exactly?
The lines you copy are what’s in the script.

Separately:
Are the reading mnemonics and vocabulary pronunciation supposed to change to katakana? I understand that on’yomi are written in katakana. Are jukugo words (combo of multiple on’yomi) not written in katakana?

Thanks!

The lines marked with (1) is what’s in the script. You replace them with the lines marked with (2), which are different.

Hi mickos. I made your changes without a problem. Thanks!
I was talking about Rodrigue’s proposed changes from his Mar 29 post talking about lines 99 and 298.

1 Like

First off, thanks for this great script!

I noticed today that hiragana was showing up for some onyomi in my kanji lessons today:

鳥 Lesson Bug

黒 Lesson Bug

風 Lesson Bug

There were about 10 others that I noticed from L7. Katakana is still showing up everywhere else for me it seems (reviews, level pages, item pages, etc…)

Not sure when this started happening…didn’t notice it during my last batch of kanji lessons on Sunday.

1 Like

Same here. I’ll add ノ, ウ and ワ to the list. And all those that you seldom get to use.
Thanks for the possibility to get some extra practice on those. :slight_smile:

This scrips scares me! :fearful: But, someone said “being brave isn’t about being fearless, but about facing your fears.” - or something to that effect.

I’m gonna install it and see how it goes! Wish me luck in the coming reviews! :sweat_smile:

First of all thanks for a nice script! Katakana is a definite weakness of mine and the repeated exposure to katakana on’yomi readings seems like just what I need.

I think there is a bug in your script, however.

If Katakana Madness is active when I start a new set of lessons, it works fine until I get to the quiz on the new items. What happens then is that when I submit the first quiz answer the lesson gets reloaded as if I were starting fresh. That is, the big Wanikani splash screen appears and I go back to the beginning of the lesson I am being quizzed on. This happens reliably and it doesn’t matter whether I am being quizzed on radicals, kanji or vocabulary. If I exit the lesson, turn off the script and retry, everything is fine.

I am using Chrome browser on Linux Mint and have a bunch of other scripts active by default – the dashboard cockpit, as well as WK Item Inspector and related scripts. I haven’t tried turning them off and running your script to see if there is a conflict there, since I didn’t want to overload myself with too many new lessons today!

3 Likes

I have the exact same problem, I also have a lot of other scripts, and am using Chrome on W10. I have fully disabled Katakana Madness as it just too annoying to have mess with my lessons, despite it being useful to train my katakana.

1 Like

I was (/am) also having this problem, so it was reassuring to see I’m not alone.

Looking at it, I think it’s because something changed in the way lesson results are submitted.

I don’t have a full solution, but a workaround is to add: https://www.wanikani.com/lesson/* to the “User excludes” in the TamperMonkey Dashboard > WaniKani Katakana Madness > Settings page:

That’ll keep that katakana madness in the reviews, but stop the lesson quiz from restarting.

9 Likes

It worked, thank you!

1 Like