[Userscript] WaniKani Katakana Madness

Good job. One thing though, it doesn’t automactically change N to ン when I press enter. So when I type “シN” WK rejects my answer until I type one more N.

Yeah. I tried to fix it but I don’t know how. It gets stopped by some other script on the page and I am not savvy enough to decode all the wk scripts and find out which one it is so I can override it. It’s especially weird because it only doesn’t work on the lessons page, in reviews シN+enter is accepted.

For now you have to type NN or "N " (N+space bar). Or small n’s.

1 Like

Thaaaaank you! :smiley: (made that https://www.wanikani.com/lesson/* and it worked)

Just finished my lessons, unfortunately :joy: but looking forward to trying this! Thank you!!!

I really need to work out how to publish this for real some day… and make it work outside of compatibility mode.

First of all, thanks so much for taking care of this script!
I just installed your fix and input during the lessons quiz works fine, but it doesn’t show katakana during lessons for me, as you can see in the picture below. Everywhere else (like item pages and level overview) seems to be fine.
Am I the only one with this problem? And if so, any ideas of how to fix it?

Do you have script compatibility mode enabled in the wanikani settings?

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of that option and this seemed to be the only script affected. It’s fixed now, thanks!

I really like the potential of this! Especially since my katakana comprehension has a short shelf-life… and so thank you!
However, my very first new lesson item, 宝(ほう)was auto-katakana’d and resulted in a “広い 赤い” fail. As is likely evidenced by what I’m assuming is a misuse of random Japanese adjectives (wide red fail) I don’t have the foundational knowledge to even know what the actual problem is. Is it grammar, is it script error, is it … I ain’t got no clue!
So I’m gunna turn this off for now, but thought I’d post here because maybe this should be flagged either as not great for very beginner beginners, and also because there is a flaw in the script one way or the other, as I typed the correct answer but got it wrong.

EDIT/ADDENDUM: Now I’m just getting everything wrong. Typed “doing” for the kanji 仕 and received another incorrect for my efforts. This is after turning off the script in monkey. Only other script I run is heat map.

1 Like

Has this script broken again, or is it just me? I have version 1.0.9 and script compatibility mode enabled, but on’yomi readings show in hiragana in lessons and in the dashboard. They’re fine during lesson quizzes and reviews.
I would really appreciate if anyone has a fix for it, I realized this script makes such a difference for me when learning new items and for long term memory of on’ and kun’yomi readings…

Hey guys, I tried to activate the script compatibility on, but when I do a new lesson and have the correct spelling/meaning it doesnt count as a proper answer. Also the katakana never shows up. Is there an issue ?

how do you get 1.0.9 when the version under download button is 1.0.8 ?

Harald1 fixed the script after it broke due to some changes on the WK side:

Unfortunately this version has stopped working during lessons for me now, but it’s still fine during lesson quizzes and reviews.

Oh yeah… I was going to release this properly.

I’ll try and get it done during the winter holidays. And fix it so it doesn’t need compatibility mode. Just wish the wanikani javascript had documentation…

2 Likes

Hello again. I wanted to reenable automatic updates and the like, so I wound up making a new thread and userscript entry. This version fixes the lesson information, and makes item information dropdown during reviews slightly better. The new and old version should probably not be used together.

3 Likes

I’ve just had to disable this script because it causes 2 errors during my lessons:

1. If I need to enter Japanese, it will always mark the item as incorrect despite it being identical
  2. If I need to enter English, it will always send me back to the review page

Here’s a screenshot of #1

Finally marking this script as dead in the list so that more people don’t have these issues

2 Likes

I hope someone fixes this script to not reload on lessons/disable this on lessons

There’s a replacement for it

5 Likes

Hm… I’m a beginner and I cannot get used to onyomi but in hiragana, thus this help soooo much. But although I have installed the script, I dont see any change, is there anything I missed? Thanks alot