[Userscript] Self-Study Quiz

The unexpected token is because your system replaced straight quotes with smart quotes while typing or pasting into the console.

In other words:

'ItemData'
‘ItemData’

Also, I typed in a fractional number (1.5) into a number input for my filter. It worked (which is good), but it outlined the input red as if there was an error.

Hurrah, it loaded!

Now what can I do to avoid having to open up the console and do this every time?

Hmm, interesting. That appears to be a browser thing. It’s trying to ‘validate’ the value as a number, and apparently isn’t liking the decimal. As far as I can see, decimals are valid for type="number", so I’m still hunting for an answer to this.

But anyway, it’s not my code doing the highlight.

What script host plugin are you using? Have you set up the framework to load before other scripts? (I’m trying to figure out how ‘wkof’ is loaded, but the ItemData module isn’t loading).

I’m using Tampermonkey. The framework is #1, and I moved this script to #2.

Lol… I just found the bug. Total oversight on my part. As in, forehead-slapping silly.

I’m about to check in some changes. I’ll post here when the changes are up.

:point_right: [v3.0.2] - Fix missing ItemData, missing filters, and override browser input validation CSS

@seanblue @LaliPop

Woo-hoo! Three cheers and a :tiger2: for you! :tada:

Thanks for such quick help!

Some issues:

• During a quiz for a vocab item, clicking the ? icon to show synonyms plays the audio.
  • After typing in a correct answer, I can type again and it shows up in the text box. Was this intentional?
    • And when getting an answer wrong, Enter still moves onto the next question.
  • Do you use the user synonyms? I’m quizzing items I just did lessons for, so maybe it’s just that it hasn’t refreshed the data.
  • I don’t think the “shake when slightly off feature” works. I typed “examplee” when the answer was “example”, and it was marked wrong.
  • When the settings dialog is open, some keys are still captured from the quiz, like Ctrl + A.

It’s also super hard to debug on my tiny laptop screen because having the console open makes it so the top bar of the quiz gets cut off, so I can’t even open the settings or close the quiz. :confused:

During a quiz for a vocab item, clicking the ? icon to show synonyms plays the audio.

That was intentional, and a carryover from the old version. I suppose it doesn’t need to play when it’s asking for the meaning. But when it’s asking for the reading, the help is telling you the answer, and it makes sense to play the audio as reinforcement.

After typing in a correct answer, I can type again and it shows up in the text box.

Yes, that’s also intentional, though I suppose that should be a setting. I zip through self-study like a madman, which means tons of typos, so I like to be able to retype without navigating back to the question again.

And when getting an answer wrong, Enter still moves onto the next question.

Yeah. If you got it wrong, and it wasn’t a typo, it will add it to the wrong answers list, which you’ll have an opportunity to re-quiz on at the end. And requiz again if you miss it again.
[edit] Do you mean with lightning turned on? Yeah, I suppose that would be an issue. You should have to hit enter a second time.

Do you use the user synonyms?

Yes, it puts synonyms first in the list. It should pick up any changes in your synonyms after 1 minute, as long as you close the quiz and re-open it.

I don’t think the “shake when slightly off feature” works. I typed “examplee” when the answer was “example”, and it was marked wrong.

Do you have the exclamation icon turned off? Turning it on should allow typos. Off means it has to be 100% accurate.

When the settings dialog is open, some keys are still captured from the quiz, like Ctrl + A.

That should be an easy fix.

having the console open makes it so the top bar of the quiz gets cut off

You could move your console to the side, or float the debug tools. Or hook up to a second monitor :grin:

I would recommend only playing the audio when it’s a reading question. There are also times where audio is not desirable because of one’s environment, though I guess that’s solvable by just turning off the computer’s sound.

Maybe instead of the current approach, using something like Backspace as a “redo” functionality would be better.

Lightning mode is turned off. I thought the old version forced you to re-answer the same review immediately if you got it wrong. I understand that you can still do that by just typing again, but I was just surprised by this current behavior. Maybe I’m misremembering.

Regardless of whether the exclamation icon is turned on or off, exact matches are required.

I know, this was just me complaining :wink:

Good feedback, thanks!

Yes, that’s true, the behavior is different. The old version would collect all wrong answers, regardless of whether they were typos, so the requiz at the end was kind of annoying if you had a lot of typos, versus actual knowledge errors. The new version only records your final answer and uses that for the requiz. That lets you focus just on what actually needs work (other than typing skills :slight_smile: ).

So, by forcing you to retype repeatedly until you got it right, there’s no way to distinguish between typos that you corrected and knowledge errors that you were forced to retry until they are right. The new version assumes you’ll move on after getting it wrong, then requiz at the end.

I’m open to changing how it works, but I do want to make sure it’s because it’s not a good solution, rather than because it’s different from the old way. Let me know what you think after you’ve used it this way for a while.

I originally had Escape as a redo, but Escape also brings you to the Summary page, so the Escape key felt a bit inconsistent. I’ll try it out with Backspace, and see how I feel about it.

Yeah, I thought about that. I debated the exact function of the Audio icon… should it mean:

• Absolute audio enable/diable (e.g. for workplace)?
  • Play audio after getting a Reading question right?

Maybe I need two separate settings.

The only reason I’m not sure about being quizzed on wrong items only at the end is that for quizzes with many items, this can take a while. It might be better to at least get the answer right once before moving on.

Sounds good, I’ll check back after I’ve tried it for a while.

Hello. I was using this script and so far everything’s been working but today I updated it and then it asked me to install WK Open Framework, so I did and followed the instructions to change the order, but now it looks like the Self-Study script is not running although it defnitely is. Was I supposed to do something else beside installing Open Framework?

It’s now available as a menu option in the main menu. Under Scripts, select Open and then Self-Study Quiz.

That’s great, thank you. So I can no longer hide the meaning and reading of learnt items on the level page?

I added this to the top-post when the new version came out.

My bad, I didn’t read that. I just installed the update because I saw it on Tampermonkey and assumed it was dealing with some bugs; I didn’t know what the Open Framework was either, so I just went with it. :grin: Thank you!

Are there any plans to re-enable the old mode?

For my personal study, the old version did exactly what I needed for studying Kanji ahead. Now I have to make a filter… select type to Kanji, select level 9, etc…

Don’t get me wrong I see the benefit of the new features… now I can drill multiple levels when I want to… I just really liked the elegance of the old way.