Truandissimo‘s Study Log

Just remember, the tortoise beats the hare. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s true. I’ve seen the bruises. :frowning:

9 Likes

I think I‘m slowly recovering from my painful phase. Made it to 24 and things are looking better. I feel much, much more positive and fun Is making a tentative comeback.

Interestingly enough, I find it easier to go faster than slower. Somehow it is harder to remember things when you take 3 weeks to level up.

I have a 3 week family holiday coming up, it will be difficult to find space for myself, but I‘ll try my best.

There‘s only one way: forward!

8 Likes

yasssss >:DDDD

5 Likes

I think the problem with most people (myself included) isn’t necessarily a lack of motivation, it’s more a case of misapplied motivation. A lot of people starting something new - especially long journeys like learning a language - tend to burn out that enthusiasm in a few weeks/months when everything is fresh and exciting, only to quit later when that motivation burns out. This doesn’t mean they’re not motivated to learn, in fact continually starting and stopping is proof that you’re motivated to learn, you’re just not applying it correctly. Use that initial burst of motivation to build habits and plan ahead instead of throwing yourself into learning, it’ll pay off more in the long run.

5 Likes

I think it’s also helpful to have a flexible list of a few goals, short-term as well as long-term to remind yourself of what you want to achieve as well as what you can achieve. If one doesn’t motivate you all that much anymore or became unimportant, then feel free to alter the list.

2 Likes

Excellent advice @Chris-M and @Kappa420 thank you!

1 Like

The reorder script is very similar to a credit card. Better pay your debt (vocab) quickly, or you‘ll end up in debt with a lot of interest.

Like a credit card, It‘s a great tool when used wisely, but can get you in deep trouble if you abuse it.

I sometimes use it at the beginning of a level up, but don‘t touch it after that. And I always work on my vocab, so I never have a backlog of more than one level, as this really helps cement the kanji.

My 2 strokes.

5 Likes

As someone who already uses other services to complement WK, such as KaniWani, Kamesame and Anki, what does iKnow offer? I’m always looking for an extra, but I’m finding it hard to keep up with everything and I really don’t want to miss out on an awesome complement to WK, which has been my main tool for learning.

I must say, that for me, Iknow is perfect. There are user made lists that follow WK, level by level, especially by one user. And the example sentences are really great. Why don‘t you try it? Use it for a month and see how you like it.

I‘ve stopped using Anki for the time being, and only use Iknow and WK. I can‘t cope with too many different SRS platforms, it burns me out.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Where can I find this user made list?

I’ve checked out the core 1-6000 course, it seems like a good addition for vocabulary practice, but that doesn’t follow WK, right?

1 Like

I did the Core 2000. I mean that’s just basic vocabulary, right? Can‘t really go wrong with this.

Now I am following the WK courses. When you go to „Shared Courses“ and search for WaniKani you find a user called „Pro User“. That‘s him.

The courses are called „iKnow - WaniKani Core 6000 Level xx“. Interestingly, you have to search for just WaniKani to find them.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Today’s heatmap. You can clearly see when I had motivational / life problems. The yellow phase is right when I moved places.

4 Likes

:point_up: Fixed it for you. ^^

16 Likes

Just looked up those decks on iKnow and they are just amazing! Simple sentences that use the vocab, all with sound. Really tempted to sign up now.

1 Like

Motivation:

11 Likes

Just 61? I must try harder!

tenor

9 Likes

It is representational of “When you reach the top, keep climbing.”

4 Likes

Just a quick note on iknow. It is good but be aware that it teaches very stiff japanese so perfect for work, university, and business but stand offish in normal casual japanese. I lived with a family in 2014 in Tokyo. They didn’t speak iknow Japanese. It was all casual. In fact, my girlfriend’s 11 year old son asked his mum why i was learning such formal Japanese as he never used it. Also iknow uses kudasai all the time, which we think as ‘please’ but actually comes across as an order which was an eye opener for me. And it uses anata at lot. It’s best to try and drop the word you whenever you can. I do like iknow just be aware of this.

6 Likes

you are soooooo kind and motivational @Omun! thanks a lot!!!

4 Likes