Transitive/Intranstive Mnemonic Consistency Issues

I ran into some issues regarding the mnemonics for remembering transitivity
Sometimes the same mnemonics are used for the opposite purpose (example pictures below)
I do understand that in the japanese language the same endings will occasionally have different transitivity, but i think it would be nice if there was more consistency regarding specific mnemonics
Like only using one specific mnemonic for an ending/transitivity combination
Otherwise they get jumbled up in memory and it will make it harder to remember consistently, making you have to guess which one was used for this specific word
I ran into some other instances aswell, but i can’t recall the vocabulary on the top of my head
I’m sure i will remember once they show up in my reviews again

This was my first post on here ^^
I prefer to just study in seclusion and not get involved in the forums too much, but i felt like i should bring this one up
Thank you for your awesome service!

7 Likes

A very good catch!

To be perfectly honest, I think WaniKani’s approach to transitive/intransitive pairs is tragically misleading. The mnemonic for 届く strongly implies that this is in fact the passive form of the verb, not even an intransitive version.

Then we have items like this one:

The translation is “to be called” which is the typical translation used for intransitive verbs, yet here it’s the passive tense of 呼ぶ. It would’ve been much clearer to just add this to the Explanation section instead of getting into details regarding who’s “called” and who does the “calling”.

Then there is this:

If one were to consider “to let fly” literally, that would likely be 飛ばさせてあげる, the combined causative tense implying that the object is allowed to fly and not made to fly (that would be 飛ばさせる). So the only correct translation is “to send flying”.

“to be X” in translations, mnemonics, etc. is not a valid replacement for the concept of intransitivity, because a lot of these verbs have actual intransitive forms (or intransitive synonyms with an overlapping meaning) in English.

EDIT: Took me a while to realize I had the causative forms wrong for 飛ばす, because it has a 〜す ending. Fixed.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.