Torii - SRS learning application for vocabulary

If I use this app, could I just skip KameSame / KaniWani?

You can indeed set it to be tested eng ā†’ JP and / or JP ā†’ ENG, so that you practice recall like you would on KameSame and KaniWani. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i installed it today. didnā€™t have time to try it out yet, will do that this weekend.
i hope thereā€™s a way to use it without srs, because wk is enough recurring work for me.

how would you use it without SRS though?
itā€™s a program for learning vocabulary. SRS accomplishes that.
if you want to learn vocabulary without SRS, immersing seems the way to go.
(though iā€™d argue SRS is still important and more efficient to expand your vocab)

I donā€™t want to learn the 10k, did that already. Iā€™d like to use it to generate random words for me to practice handwriting with.

1 Like

Just a small request @Rakantorā€¦ personally I would love to still be able to do reviews in vacation mode. Sometimes I really donā€™t want reviews to pile up since Iā€™m super busy, but Iā€™d still like to be able to clear the pile I do have when I have bits of timeā€¦ obviously I can just take it off vacation mode to do that, but I feel dumb. :smiley:

Just finished with N5 and N4! Thanks again for the great app.

2 Likes

Torii is an application for learning vocabulary (primarily the 10k) with spaced repetition. There is no function to generate random words. That sounds like something HouHou might be able to offer, but I canā€™t say for sure.

@karaiz Well as you said yourself you can just turn vacation mode on and off whenever it suits youā€¦ and not feel dumb :stuck_out_tongue:

Hahaha OK. Just thought Iā€™d ask. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A new update is online (since yesterday actually) :slight_smile:
Youā€™ll have to download it from the website, the auto updater is bugged in 1.4.1.

Torii SRS Version 1.4.5

New features and improvements

• The top right corner of the review interface now shows the total number of available reviews and completed items per session (a session ends when one navigates back to the dashboard)
  • Removed the Furigana textfield for kana-only words
  • Added a Knowledge Base / FAQ section (can be accessed from the dashboard)
  • Added a function to get in touch with the dev via the app (can be accessed from the FAQ section)
  • It is now possible to easily report individual items if a mistake is suspected (e.g. wrong JLPT level). To do so, click on the ā€˜Report a problemā€™ link that is located at the bottom of the lesson interface
  • Added a Light theme
  • Desktop: Added tooltips for most image buttons and some links
  • Android: The phoneā€™s back button is now actually functional within the app
  • Added some minor features and improvements not worth mentioning in detail

Bugfixes

• The endless practice settings will no longer reset after finishing the first session
  • Fixed quite a few visual bugs, mostly in the Android version
7 Likes

Great app from the sound of it. I think i will try it after i reach level 10. So the reviews will be little more merciful on me

1 Like

The back button update is a blessing, so many timesā€¦

Hi, iĀ“ve been using the prime version of Torii for a few weeks now and itĀ“s great! However iĀ“d like to pick up fioraaeternaĀ“s request again.

Until recently iĀ“ve used the WK mode and noticed that i get lots of difficult / samey vocab which often translated into leeches. So i tried a workaround by using the JLPT5 study mode excluding the WK vocab. Unfortunately this means also learning word with unfamiliar Kanji which iĀ“m rather uncomfortable with. This led to me putting them into an ā€œunfamiliar kanjiā€ list and archiving them until i learn the right kanji on WK. Turns out even on the lower levels there are loads of not-yet-taught kanji which made this process pretty time-consuming (but it also works better than the alternative).

So my wish would also be to be able to pick a JLPT level with the WK kanji order (or WK mode with a JLPT order).
Maybe a ā€œskipā€ button that just skips the vocab for the time being without archiving it could also work.

Apart from that, Torii has been very beneficial to my vocabulary so far, so thanks for your hard work!

5 Likes

@Rakantor Hello there !! Was wanting to try this, but ainā€™t really workin on my mac. I tried doing everything that it told me to do in your troubleshooting, soā€¦

Tried doin the stuff it said, then realized I hadta install java. After doing that, I tried again and it still didnā€™t work. Iā€™ve tried opening it manually too. When I click on the app, the icon pops up in the bottom of my screen like itā€™s about to open, but then it disappears right away like ā€œn opeā€.

If you could help me thatā€™d be great, thanks ~

Thanks for the feedback and your support! That would be a nice feature indeed. Iā€™ll put it on the requested features list and see what I can do.

@smallotter Is there an error log when you right-click the app > Show package contents > Contents?

2 Likes

Yeah there is. Is there something I should look for in there to figure out the problem ?
( Also, I just realized you could get torii as an app yesterday, so I downloaded it on my phone; seems to work good on there! If youā€™d prefer not to deal with the hassle of fixing my issue, Iā€™d be fine just using the app~ )

it would probably be helpful if you shared the error log with Rakantor. these error logs often show a problem in the program.

1 Like

Yeah please share the error log with me so I can check whatā€™s the problem and figure out a solution. Itā€™s probably better if you send it to my email so we donā€™t spam the forum ^^ support@torii-srs.com

Is there any audio in the app? I donā€™t think Iā€™d want to learn vocabulary without being able to hear intonation.

Yup, most words and context sentences have audio. Simply click on them to play audio. Auto play can be enabled in the settings.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like