The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!

Just an update on this. I couldn’t find this app in the app store on my iPad so I contacted the Publisher. The app is being updated and it offline for a period of time. It is unknown when the app will be back, but it will be back.

For Japanese learning games, I would like to recommend:
Learn Japanese to survive - Hiragana battle and
Learn Japanese to survive - Katakana battle. Both available on Steam. Kanji battle is also coming, but still being developed.

the physical textbooks are still available on amazon / other retailers ^^

You’re correct, but the shipping costs are so high for me that it’d be cheaper to get the e-books. So I’ll just wait until the app is available again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m screaming, how am I just now finding out about WaniConjugation :star_struck: cue tears of joy

1 Like

At the school where I learn Japanese (in The Netherlands), we recently started using ‘Marugoto’. This textbook is made by the Japan Foundation (that also does the JLPT tests). Might be worthwhile to add these books to the list. They are about the same prices or a little cheaper than Genki and Minna no Nihongo, but definitely worth it. I’m really enjoying the structure of the books.
It does have to be said that these books do have little explanation on new grammar. The new situations is briefly explained in a blue text box and then you immediately start excercises. It would be handy to either have a teacher that can explain a little more or find your own additional material.

So, I just found this:

“The DoJG deck allows you to review the contents of the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar through Anki.”

Click on the link to see how it is built. Pretty cool, if I may say. Have yet to try it though (since I discovered it minutes ago).

https://dojgdeck.neocities.org/

7 Likes

whaaaaat :open_mouth: i’m overwhelmed but loving this at the same time. thanks for the link!

1 Like

Looks great! I’m going to be using this. It’s only 1300 cards too.

1 Like

It’s actually the content and the scanned book in those cards :sweat_smile:

DJT it’s a great site… though copyrights it’s not their strongest suit. :shushing_face:

PS: they have a huge collection of textbooks and tons of novels too :shushing_face: :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that when I used the deck this morning… :roll_eyes:

Well, I’ll remove my post if the WK team is against it being in here :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve been reading the Bunpro topic just now, so I think this is a great alternative (and the one I’m using for some time) for people that are not much into paying for yet another monthly SRS service :sweat_smile:.

I already have the basic and intermediate book of the series and those are a well of content to review, not so much for reading cover to cover. Having the books it’s great for calm reading whenever having too much trouble to get a concept through, but having them turned into anki deck it’s such a time saver for everything else :star_struck:

What are your first impressions now that you’ve tried it?

1 Like

If anyone wants to keep track of their progress with the DOJG series here is a nice spreadsheet with all the grammar concepts and the reference for the book :+1:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KaiWpXcsFd9X2_IPaZOTTh5_XgSm2Rbp/view?usp=sharing

I didn’t see this on the list but it’s my primary place to learn online with real teachers, of course it cost $$$. https://www.japonin.com/

HOWEVER, their teachers blog is free and has a TON of free professional native spoken stories
https://www.japonin.com/free-learning-tools/teachers-blog.html

Enjoy!

A question to anyone who owns any of the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar books. Is it noticeable that they were published in 1995? I get that the language itself has not changed much since then but is this publication year a matter I should take into account before purchasing?

I’m most likely going to get the intermediate and advanced ones anyway but I do wish there were newer editions of the books. :frowning:

I have the Beginner one and I like it a lot. I don’t think there’s anything indicating it’s out of date and the layout is also really good.

I fully recommend it.

1 Like

I have the first book in the series. My biggest complaint is the use of romaji instead of furigana (for when you can’t read the kanji). Otherwise it’s a very good book. The explanations and examples are very detailed and it was definitely worth the money.

Yeah, that’s another reason why I’m not getting the first one. I mostly want to improve my grammar so I ordered the intermediate one and I heard they only use romaji in the first book.

About the DOJG series, the basic volume has kana / kanji as well, romaji in the second line and after that the translation. The intermediate volume has kana/kanji with furigana, then the translated phrase.

https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Japanese-Patterns-Teachers-Learners/dp/4874246788/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GC8RNC9CDZ8MDNDMN5VH

This is a fairly good alternative to the DOJG series. Tons of examples for each grammar point. And the explanation it’s very much into the lines of DOJG series. Worth considering, given the price it’s much lower and the content it’s pretty much the same with no quality compromise that I can tell. Kana/Kanji (+furigana) examples and translation.

I’ve been looking at that one as well! Since you seem to own a copy, what’s the entire scope of it? I mean, for example regarding JLPT levels. I’m looking for something past N3/N2 levels so does it go beyond those?