The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

食堂 is a very specific style of restaurant, so I don’t think it’s appropriate for that category generally.

People usually put the honorific お in front of 店, so that might sound a bit more natural. お店.

音響 most typically appears in longer compound words. It’s not completely wrong, it’s just not used alone very often. Some examples are 音響効果 (sound effects) and 音響装置 (audio equipment).

Japanese often use the word オーディオ for audio. I think any Japanese person would understand the idea of オーディオ・フラッシュカード.

If 文 feels too short, how about 文章?

1 Like

Gah, I tried to find where I originally saw this, but I seem to have lost it. Oh well. It makes sense that it’s context-dependent. I guess I’ll be back if/when I see it again.

1 Like

Pretty much everything is context-dependent. Japanese is a far more contextual language than English.

2 Likes

What style of restaurant is it? Is it more of like a cafeteria type set up?

Interesting, I’m fairly sure I’ve seen お店 used this way myself a few times but Jisho translates it as おたな: A merchants home.

Yeah that was the one I was most clueless about.

I don’t really mind if it’s too short, I would prefer to use whatever is more natural. Do you think 復習文 wouldn’t be used in this context?

Some words have special forms that only take on a meaning or reading in a certain context. お店 (おみせ) is not a special word, it’s just a normal politeness marked word, so I imagine that’s why it doesn’t get a separate entry. Almost any word can be politeness’d up, but they vary in how and how often. 店 alone is also fine.

I don’t think it’s unnatural, it just seemed like all the categories are some kind of review, so just singling that out to include review seemed unnecessary, but it’s up to you.

Yeah that makes sense.

What do you think fits better between 文章 and 文?

They both can mean sentence, so either is fine.

Thanks mate, you’re a legend!

:grin:

お引き取りいただいてもかましません

I need some assistance breaking this down. It’s formal language, but there’s a bit of an auxiliary verb pile-up, and I’m not entirely sure what’s going on.

What the heck would かましません be?

I’ll assume かましません is actually かまいません for now. In that case, I would say it means “I don’t mind if you leave.”

お引き取り - leaving
いただいて - humble receiving by the speaker
も - if
かまいません - don’t mind

Assuming it’s かまいません. If it’s かましません I have no idea what that means.

1 Like

Aha, of course. Thanks for that.

Could be Osaka dialect. It’s definitely かましません, though.

After some research, yeah, it’s Osaka dialect. Specifically, old-person Osaka dialect.

Most Kansai people nowadays use 〜ません with Kansai accent as non-past negatives when speaking politely. However, Some traditional forms such as 〜まへん (e.g. 食べまへん) and [Negative-stem]+ しまへん (e.g.食べしまへん、帰らしまへん) are still used by elderly people.
[Citation]

Honestly don’t recall ever encountering that one before.

2 Likes

what are 2 kanji compounds called?

Pretty sure it’s called a Jukugo.

I have a question, I’ve been thinking about it for a while, and I feel like there’s a pattern going on with:
止める 上げる 下げる
止まる 上がる 下がる

It seems that when the second character ends in え is a direct object, as in I do the action of the verb, and when the second one ends in あ it’s an indirect one, as in something happens to an object, is it actually something worth knowing or am I overthinking things ?

2 Likes

give an example

An example of what? Of a jukugo word? Just use a online dictionary.

1 Like

How about googling it yourself

1 Like

an example of what you mean

What I mean by what?

just replying to the askers question

Ooooh like that. I’m sorry lol I thought you were demanding an example with the explanation

In that case they provided examples in their post already!