The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

How do I type a radical that’s not kanji like black hole or lid using Japanese IME?

亠 is トウ and you can find it in the list if you type that. And a lot of radicals do have names or pronunciations (as kanji) like that that you can find on sites like https://ja.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/亠

复 though doesn’t seem to have one and I don’t know how you bring it up outside unicode input or Chinese IME

Edit: Or such was my assumption. I was actually just trying to type up some different radicals using their names and it didn’t work :woman_shrugging:

It’s from WaniKani radicals. I need to type them in my note.

I wonder how The Crabigators typed radicals that are not kanji? cc @Kristen

and/or @Naphthalene

The radicals that aren’t actually radicals are image files. The rest of them exist somewhere in Unicode, so at the very least you can copy and paste them if you can’t type them. Or look them up on Jisho with search-by-radicals.

ok. got it. thanks.

Also, some of those may exist in Unicode, but are too obscure (and/or Chinese) to display correctly on most systems. That is, you’ll need some specific fonts, or it would just show up as � or something.

Hi, I’d like to know what the radicals are in this kanji 刻. The radicals on the left in particular. Thanks in advance

Well, I’m guessing you mean the actual origins of the character, and not the WK radicals, because in that case you wouldn’t have to ask.

Though when talking about character composition, there’s just one radical, and it’s 刀 on the right, and then 亥 is a phonetic element on the left. Originally 亥 was based on a drawing of an animal similar to a pig. But it’s just phonetic in 刻.

I eat cheese to put me to sleep. Works well, and never a bad dream from it.

Thanks for the answer!

I have a question concerning this sentence

“Tomorrow’s high tide will be at 8:32am, the second one at 8:05…8:05pm. Low tide is at 1:59am and 2:28pm”

明日の満潮は午前8時32分、二回目が8時5分、午後8時5分、干潮は午前1時59分と午後2時28分です。

How could there be two high and low tides? Could the second mention be the second highest of the day?

And why did they say 8:05 two times? Did the announcer simply forget to say pm the first time he said it so he corrected his mistake?

Thank you in advance

Should we start the Short Science Questions thread? Sounds like a semidiurnal tide.

http://beltoforion.de/article.php?a=tides_explained&p=tidal_cycles

Thank you!

Aye, that’s what it looks like to me.

thanks!!!

Hi,

なんてよく気のつくやさしい娘さんじゃ

Does this roughly mean "what a kindly attentive daughter? I hate to constantly ask trivial questions but I’ve run this through a bunch of translators and dictionaries and haven’t had any luck. I think there’s a special connection there with 気のつくやさしい that doesn’t get picked up.

Thanks in advance.

気のつく is the same as 気がつく, but in relative clauses が can become の and function in the same way.

It and やさしい both modify 娘.

So it’s like saying “attentive, kind” in English, with modifiers just stacked up.

Thank you!

How on earth would you translate できましょう into English? I know that できる is “to be able to do”, but “Let’s be able to do it!” doesn’t make any sense.

In what context? For things like this, the context usually ends up dictating how you deal with them, I think.