The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

What does 言いたくなりそう mean here?

〜言いたい want to say (something)
〜言いたくなる come to be in a state where you want to say (something)
〜言いたくなりそう seem like you’ll be in a state where you want to say (something)

Basically it’s like “makes you wanna say (something)”

This does seem like a grammar question, though, no? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oops I just realized I posted it in the wrong thread…

1 Like

Is 精度(せいど) actually precision or (like WK says) both precision and accuracy? The images that came up are a little confusing and I know if I wait to research more, I’ll forget because I need to go to sleep

1 Like

Yeah, it’s mainly precision looks like - here’s another version of the graph that’s definitely in Japanese and not Chinese (I searched “精度 とは” to put some hiragana in there to try to avoid the latter for what that’s worth)

It’s how the difference between the two is explained in English as well (accuracy being whether the center of the target was hit, precision being whether the shots were consistently grouped):
and the wikipedia page about it (Accuracy and precision - Wikipedia) “Accuracy and precision” is “正確度と精度” on Japanese wikipedia.

That all said it seems like, as in English, that difference is more important academically than casually, as Weblio gives definitions that include both precision and accuracy like “精密さ、正確さの程度。”
So it’s also true that precision and accuracy are close enough concepts that it can mean both casually and Wanikani doesn’t need to grill you on the difference in two very similar concepts.

1 Like

There is thread about it here that should help:

2 Likes

I found this page:

Seems like 精度 is precision, for accuracy you’d use 正確度, if I’m interpreting that correctly.

EDIT: Oh wow, I’ve not just been ninja’d, I’ve been ultra-mega-ninja’d to the max :joy:

2 Likes

@rodan, @Arzar33, and @yamitenshi thank you all so much for your help! As an archer, difference is pretty important to me. Thank you for all the resources! :green_heart:

2 Likes

Ooh, nice! I used to do archery too, a long long time ago (never got any good though :joy: )

What kind of archery do you do?

2 Likes

I don’t know where should I ask, so this topic should be my best bet.

Can I change Japanese keyboard on window to be like Wanikani and many websites?
For example, I want my window’s keyboard to recognize ‘chya’ = ‘ちゃ’. I know I can just type ‘cya’ = ’ちゃ’, but it’s difficult to change my habit.

You can also type “cha” and get the same result

I don’t see anything in the Microsoft IME, but the Google IME seems to have the option:

1 Like

It’s a bit difficult to change my habit at this point. However, I think this is the only option left I have. sigh :pensive:

You can always download the Google IME and use it as your keyboard setting. It does allow you to customize your mappings. Once installed it works and toggles just like the Microsoft IME

1 Like

Huh thanks!! I will give it a try.

However, after I think about my situation more thoroughly, it would be better to just change my typing habit right? There are chances that I would use a computer that’s not mine. I’m assuming the default Japanese keyboard on both Mac and Window would be the same universally.

Thanks for your help again!! :kissing_heart:

Hello,

How is the kind of apartment building pictured below (pretty common in European cities) called in Japanese?

Is it マンション?

I’d say so, but I’d also say you’d be quite unlikely to find that particular architectural style in Japan.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly why I asked :slight_smile: I live in one of such buildings (and in a few months I might be moving into the one in the picture :wink: ), so I was curious how should I talk about it in Japanese.

タウンハウス? Probably not

I would lean toward アパート, because it’s not very tall, and it’s not concrete, but as was said, since it’s not Japanese, there probably isn’t one right answer.

2 Likes

欧風のマンション - European-style condominium?
Would that work?

3 Likes