The "news reading" challenge 🗞

It’s 倒れる because that is the intransitive verb – “people fell over”. 倒す would be “people pushed somebody/something over” (and would need an を clause to indicate who/what they were pushing). So the sentence isn’t saying “the uphill people knocked over the people further down”, and it’s not saying “somebody knocked over the uphill people” either. It’s saying “the uphill people fell down, on top of and piling up on the people further down”. (One of the quotes in the full article uses the phrase 将棋倒し.)

3 Likes

Ah, I see. So, the people downhill were crushed not because they fell and the crowd stamped on them, but because people uphill fell on them and crushed them by their bodyweight? More precisely, it was like a domino – upper rows kept falling on the lower rows and those who were at the very bottom got crushed by the weight?

In any case, this was very scary and tragic…

1 Like

According to English articles in my city’s newspaper, they’re still not entirely sure precisely what triggered it. Too many people in too small a space. Perhaps someone tripped over, the people behind tripped over them, et cetera. An Australian who was there is quoted as saying “there was no stampede. It was a slow and agonising crush.”

5 Likes

That – is always a recipe for disaster…

3 Likes

On a brighter subject, I’m glad that Halloween is not considered a holiday in Japan, which is why I was able to read today’s news.
This Thursday is going to be Culture day though, so I would have to read something else if I want to keep up with “Read Everyday Challenge” :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

in this article, this sentence

ちゃんができたときとちゃんがまれたときに

isn’t it being a little repetitive? just the second part isn’t enough to express in case babies are born during that period?

3 Likes

The government gives money not just when a baby is born but also to pregnant women – if you happen to be eligible for the benefit then the distinction is important! In the ‘normal’ version of the article the phrase is 妊娠や出産をした際に. Sometimes the simplification results in a bit less of a range of vocab use and therefore a bit more repetition.

5 Likes

It seems that, for some reason, they decided to use a different voice for this one. It reminds me a bit of the one they had when I started reading NHK Easy News (end of 2016)…

Anyway, it’s really cool that Studio Ghibli now has its own theme park!

2 Likes

11月23日は勤労感謝の日で、新しいニュースがありません。

2 Likes

I’ve started to read the news too and enjoying it!! It’s short enough that I can usually get through the whole thing, and I appreciate that it’s easy to look up things and to hear being read. Will post here next time I read an interesting one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This one was easy to understand for me! Nice to see 役に立つ being used

4 Likes

wow, English speaking test in their SATs?

I think it is odd to send the data to Philipines to evaluate their grades for this English test?

5 Likes

Presumably it’s cheaper to pay qualified English teachers in the Philippines than in Japan… It’s a private education services company doing the test marking, so they probably looked around for the cheapest way to do it.

6 Likes

テストをけた生徒は「にこのようなテストをけたことがないのでしかったです」としていました。

Why am I not surprised ^^.

The example video is also instructional: “I want to buy the PEN!!!”
not that I’m better when speaking Japanese -.-
EDIT: Ah also I totally forgot it’s for entrance in high school, so pretty impressive actually…

テストは午後1時からと午後2時25分からの2回に分けて15分程度行われました

I hope they had different tests… Otherwise, I would also cry 不平等

3 Likes
Username Minimum # of articles/day Sources
XiaoAddict as much as i can (will probabaly be 0.00002 most of the time) NHK Easy News, https://easyjapanese.net/ (mostly, otherwise I look wherever)
2 Likes

おいおいおい、見て!

易しいで読んだ、ペラペラ!

4 Likes

面白いですね。

ジュゴンは可愛いですよ!

6 Likes

oh man, reading articles like this makes me really sad here living in a third world country

what a shop clerk get paid in a month is almost what you get here in a year :cry:

daaaaaamn…

4 Likes

I read this article on a murder in Fukuoka-Ken. Apparently he hasn’t been caught yet. I feel for the woman’s family and hope the can catch the culprit soon. The article does not make it clear weather or not the man knew the woman probably because they haven’t identified him yet. My concern would be is this a random killing (so maybe he is a series killer) or did he know her and had a grudge or something?

I t was a pretty short read. There was about 7 kanji I could not read. So not too bad.

4 Likes

windows XP!

:sweat_smile:

4 Likes