The landscape of learning Japanese (help me with research)

I think (and this is just a guess) that probably what the survey is intended to do is identify which JLPT levels have more people who are in need of content to read so that the website can provide more content aimed at them, as well as identifying areas where the readers want more support (grammar, kanji, or vocab). That was my hypothesis from filling out the survey, haha, and after finding out more about the website it’s for, my assumption seems pretty likely, since japanese.io seems to mainly be a tool oriented around providing reading practice.

If that is the central question that is actually at stake here, though, I think you’re right in that the survey could be much better formatted to address what people actually want or need from a service like this. I think there are probably a fair number of people who already have some tools they’re using (like WK and Yomichan) who could be interested purely in having more reading material without necessarily all the bells or whistles that the site provides along with the reading material.

The survey (and the website) seems to assume that people are looking for a tool that’s a one-stop shop, but I think many people learning Japanese have had to basically piece together their own study plan using a whole bunch of different resources, and people might already have a process in place that they don’t want disrupted by a tool trying to do things that interferes with a different tool that they’re using.

I think directly asking what specific features and types of content that people want would give more useful information than the way this survey is framed.

5 Likes

Pretty much this. I mused about creating my own language learning system using what I had learned after I reached a sufficient level of proficiency, but realized that any all-in-one resource was going to be bloated, wieldy, and not optimized for any of its component pieces. A master of none.

Each person cobbles together their own study plan using the resources that are optimized for THEIR INDIVIDUAL NEEDS, based on their specific experience, strengths, weaknesses, goals and time constraints. The miracle combination for one person is going to be a time wasting lump of frustration for the next person.

Combine that with trying to confine all of that to the already poorly aligned boundaries of the JLPT, and you have created a system with a little bit of nothing for everyone. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

In the case of reading material only (or primarily), we already have that in the form of Satori, which does it better, and can be connected to WK api no?

Well, at least one user in this thread expressed a desire for more lower level material on this site, so there is at least some demand for that. I don’t use either of those services, but I’m of the opinion that having more options is better when it comes to reading material, anyway, because different people have different tastes, and it’s nice to have choice. But if this is the question the program is really trying to ask, I think they could pick a better way to ask it than how this survey was set up.

Right right. I wasn’t trying to sound anti-options. Options are GOOD. As long as the options offered are good. I suppose I could have worded that to say, “With the glut of options already available, how is Japanese.io making an effort to innovate or improve on reading materials?”

Personally, I think that any language learning system SHOULD include adequate reading, with the content immediately utilizing the vocabulary, grammar and kanji covered in-context in a relevant and engaging way. For most resources that I have seen at least, reading material is either not adequate in quantity, or not engaging, and usually both.

1 Like
Wanted to echo the voice of others here.

in that, aside from my Kanken studies and the occasional Bunpro review (just because I want to 100% the N1 grammar points), I don’t really use any one “tool” anymore, as I get the vast majority of my studying just from reading novels, online news articles, or speaking with co-workers and friends here in Japan.

I also agree with the point that how people answer these questions will completely depend on their own weaknesses at the time of answering, and ultimately I think the answer to your question “What’s most important for NX level learners?” may actually be much less exciting than you think: you can’t learn Japanese (in terms of the JLPT test parameters) without studying all of the skills you list. Grammar without vocab to utilize it is useless, and the reverse is also true. Vocab without kanji is a waste of time if you intend to read, just as kanji without vocab is.

I also noticed there was no question regarding speaking, or even listening for that matter, which I think further underscores my final point in showing that JLPT seems to be your focus.

TL;DR- As far as JLPT is concerned, if you leave any one of kanji, vocab, grammar, or even listening out of your Japanese studies, you’re gonna have a bad time.

4 Likes

FIFY  

Oh uh… thank… you…? :slight_smile: walks away slowly. whispers to child “No honey don’t take candy from the silly man…” But in all seriousness, thanks for pointing out an obvious typographical error. Your entry was useful and contributed greatly to the conversation. Not all heroes wear capes.

1 Like

I do wear a cape though. But only when I’m showering. My therapist says it’s just a phase.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.