The JLPT 2021 Thread (RESULTS OUT NOW!)

Been looking into that recently as well, seems like if you’re working in engineering there’s a chance to reduce the amount of years you need to apply for it. I’m not confident I’ll pass the N1 though, but at least there’s N2.

4 Likes

Eyyyy. Another fellow Akitan! Where do you live? I’m in Akitashi~

1 Like

Also Akita City!

I’ve been here since 2013, first as an ALT and now doing web development.

3 Likes

How fun! I also came here as an ALT, been here since 2019~
How did you get into web development?

3 Likes

Hey guys ! They said that the jlpt in london might open see you guys there!!!

4 Likes

Not him but I’ve seen A LOT of ALTs that go into a coding bootcamp and then look for jobs. It’s crazy just how common this is, simply because it is easier to come in as an ALT / Student.

3 Likes

Well, it helps that I’ve been a lifelong tinkerer when it comes to programming. I taught myself BASIC on my dad’s Windows 3.1 machine back in the early 90s, and have been teaching myself various programming languages and doing personal projects since then. I had one part time job maintaining a college website, and otherwise had just done personal projects.

I had a friend in town that worked a local webdev/data server company. After my five years on JET were up, he said I should I apply. So I did and I got a job as an engineer.

I had (still have) a spousal visa at the time, so that also made things easier overall.

3 Likes

That’s really cool! Thanks for sharing~! What level is your Japanese, if you don’t mind my asking? Seeing that you’re a fellow level 20, but you’re already working in an (I’m assuming) Japanese job, how’s that work?

3 Likes

Did you get your results?

1 Like

Thanks for asking, but the JLPT has a nearly two-month turnaround time… nobody in this thread will have any idea how they scored until the end of January at the earliest!

6 Likes

I’m in the same situation as you. (First time taking JLPT at N4 Level) Like you, I felt pretty confident about the first two sections and then the listening section came and wrecked me. It wasn’t even so much I didn’t understand it, it was just hard to figure out the answer to the question in such a short amount of time, or for some it felt like more than one of the answers would work.

I am glad I pushed myself to take the test and I also realized it doesn’t matter if I do or don’t pass: If I passed, then yay and maybe I’ll think about taking the N3, and if not, I’ll still keep studying.

4 Likes

Well, I had N3 when I applied for the job in 2018. It was tough. I’ve always been really inconsistent with studying, and I was terrible at speaking (still am relatively, but I’ve gotten significantly better since then).

I had to report to my boss every day in Japanese though, and talk to most of my other coworkers in Japanese, and so I slowly got better. The office is majority Japanese with four foreign hires.

My weakest area has always been kanji. I’m doing WaniKani now as a kind of, “Okay, let’s finally get kanji settled” sort of thing. I feel like I’ve known more than 80% of all the vocabulary I’ve seen so far on WaniKani… but I barely know any of the kanji.

I actually started WaniKani back in 2013. I wish I would’ve stuck with it.

I took N2 this month. I don’t feel confident that I passed (largely due to the kanji problem), but I don’t feel sure that I failed either.

10 Likes

I passed N2 last year and I still struggle when discussing complicated requirements and technical matters :rofl:. It takes time, but I’m much better than last year for sure

3 Likes

I just looked it up and apparently it was published a few hours ago:

*for countries other than Japan, China, Hong Kong / Macau, Taiwan and Korea

I am looking forward to the results :eyes:

18 Likes

For a second I thought that said today and my heart skipped a beat… And then I saw January 24th… And then I saw countries other than Japan…

7 Likes

We have dates! If you log into MyJLPT, you will see:

The test result for the second JLPT in 2021 (December) is available on MyJLPT from January 24 (Mon).
The test result notice is planned to be sent out on February 7 (Mon).
The application of the Certificate of Result and Scores starts from January 25 (Tue).

This seems to apply to all territories (I’m in Japan). I know that I didn’t pass, but it will be nice to feel “finished” with the test.

7 Likes

only 4 more days until my heart will stop fluttering and then be utterly broken. Here we goooooo!

8 Likes

I’m a bit confused, which site would a US test taker use to view their score? I never signed up through the MyJLPT site to take the test.

2 Likes

Do you have your test ID and your password (that you set on registration)? If yes, you can check your results here: Test Results Announcement | JLPT Japanese-Language Proficiency Test - if not, you can only wait until you get a letter from them, I guess…

4 Likes

Ah, I see. The link in that page just won’t be available until 10 AM on the 24th, then I can log in like you said.

3 Likes