The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

Got about halfway through the May 5 Korakuen show! They didn’t transcribe most of the comments for this one, so a lot of what I have is incomplete.

First was Shino vs Himawari, which was a fun rookie match! Shino got surprisingly emotional afterward.

Here are Himawari’s comments. The only part that confused me was “最後ギチギチに腰をやってやりました!”, which I wasn’t quite sure about.

HIMAWARI: “I had a singles match with Shino-san, who I’m particularly close with out of everyone in our class. There’s only a small difference between us, and I made my debut first, so I felt like I couldn’t lose. I gave her no room to spare at the end! Fighting Shino-san today made me want to also tag with her!”

Shino’s comments:

Shino: “I had a singles match with HIMAWARI-san, who is in my same class, and we’ve been working hard together since we were trainees, so I didn’t want to fight…” (cries) “But I’m glad I got to know how HIMAWARI-san is in the ring, too! I want to face her again and show her how much stronger I am next time!”

The next match was something of a Children’s Day special, haha, with Misao being put in charge of the two youngest trainees. Here are their comments:

Misao: “We won! Both of you saved me with your dropkicks at the end, which allowed me to get the total victory, so I think you have what it takes to be promising heroes in the future. Will you be heroes again?”

Runa & Haru: “Yes!”

Then Misao said to the camera, “騙せてるみたいです……!” which confused me a bit, but considering the context of just who Misao is as a person, I think I figured it out…

Misao: (whispering to the camera) “It looks like they can be tricked!”

Toyo Mates got split up for the next match, with Mahiro teaming with Toga, and Kamiyu with Wakana instead. English comms were pretty pessimistic about the fate of Toyo Mates’ team afterward, but I brushed it off as nothing to worry about. Then I listened to Kamiyu’s comments and started to worry about it…

Uehara: “Since we won, I think the meal today will be really tasty!”

These two lines from Kamiyu were a bit confusing: “真弥は普段パートナーなのに闘うとどうこうとか全くないの。凍雅ちゃんも真弥につくなんてもう知らないよ!”

Kamifuku: “Even though Mahiro is my regular partner, I have no idea what to do when we fight. I don’t even know if Toga-chan will stick with Mahiro! Mahiro isn’t my friend anymore! Today, we’re over! From now on, it’s the era of gluttony!”

Mahiro’s comments were much more optimistic:

Mahiro: “Today I had to fight Kamifuku-san, who I team up with as Toyo Mates, and I thought I had to win in order to grow, so I took on the challenge, but it was difficult… I know Kamifuku’s habits after teaming with her for years. This was Toga’s second Korakuen Hall show, and I hope we win our next match! Positive!”

Ryo Mizunami made another guest appearance, and this time the highlight was her interactions with Yuki Aino in the tag match they were both in. I would love to see them get a singles match. Maybe Yuki could be the first person in TJPW to actually beat Aniki…

Ryo’s normally pretty straightforward to translate, but this time her lines gave me a bit of trouble, haha. I wasn’t sure about these lines: “おそらく真面目なんでしょうね! くすぶっている感じがメチャクチャ、私の5年目に似ている! 彼女がどうとらえるかわかんないけど、すげえ面白いもの秘めてますよ!”

Mizunami: “Yuki Aino, I heard it was your 5th anniversary? You seem to be pretty serious! That smoldering feeling is unbelievable, just like my 5th year! I don’t know how she’ll take it, but she’s got something really interesting hidden inside of her!”

I think I got Nao and Yuki’s comments:

Yuki: “I’m frustrated!”

Kakuta: “It’s your anniversary, isn’t it?”

Yuki: “I don’t think the company was thinking about that, but I’m grateful that I was able to fight Mizunami-san at this time. I’m really frustrated! It’s frustrating! It was so frustrating, but fun!”

Then Miu faced Arisu, which was a super fun singles match! I was really confused by Miu’s comment just from the twitter caption, but I think maybe I managed to get enough clarification just from listening to it that I was able to figure out what she meant by bringing up Rika and Suzume? :sweat_smile:

Miu: “Arisu has great momentum this year, so I felt that I shouldn’t let my guard down in this match. Our partners are having a match today, but aside from that, I’m satisfied that I was able to just enjoy Arisu’s individual strength. I’m going to be wary of things heating up in the season ahead.”

And here’s Arisu’s comment:

Arisu: “I lost… But I was able to avoid the Giant Swing at least, so I think I’ve grown a little. During practice, I’m always looking at her back, so I resolved to to work harder and get even bigger.”

Next was Yuki Arai’s second anniversary match, where she teamed with Itoh against Shoko and Yuka (I’m trying not to think about this being probably one of the last times we’ll see the MiraClians together).

This one has a transcript! It’s also transcribed in the official recap, too.

Shoko’s second line was a bit confusing, haha. Maybe I got it? “この2人で組み始めた当初…みらクりあんずって名前の由来はですね、いまは負けるチームだけど奇跡を起こしていこうっていう気持ちをこめたんですよ.”

Nakajima: “It’s been a while since we’ve been the MiraClians. When we first started teaming up, the origin of the name ‘MiraClians’, it was to instill the feeling that even though we were a losing team, we intended to make a miracle happen.”

Sakazaki: “That’s right.”

Nakajima: “Today, I was convinced. The two of us can still make miracles happen together.”

Sakazaki: “Yes!”

Nakajima: “We’re going to keep making more and more miracles happen, so please watch us!”

Sakazaki: “Watch us!”

(It was Arai’s second anniversary match after her debut)

“Yes!”

Nakajima: “She’s cocky!”

Sakazaki: “She’s done well to make it two years.”

Nakajima: “I commend her.”

Sakazaki: “She has a lot of guts.”

Nakajima: “Actually, I’m scared of her…”

The first chunk of this exchange confused me:

坂崎「昨日もライブで忙しくしてる中で、こうやって2周年っていう節目の闘いであんなに心ぶつけてくれるっていうのがね」

Sakazaki: “Yesterday, while she was busy at the live concert, being in her second anniversary milestone match like this, that really struck me.”

中島「嬉しかった。ふたつの仕事を分け隔てなく同じボリュームでやってる。これは私たちにはできてないこと…(プロレス)1本だから。そこはない部分として、ものすごく尊敬の気持ちは持ってます」

Nakajima: “I’m happy. She’s doing two jobs at the same intensity without picking favorites. That’s something we haven’t been able to do… (pro wrestling) is one thing. I have a lot of respect for the part of her work that we don’t have.”

坂崎「ホントにすごいと思う。しかも性格も歪んでないし、まっすぐ」

Sakazaki: “I think she’s really amazing. And her character isn’t warped, she’s straightforward.”

Nakajima: “She can ride the Flying Nimbus.”

Sakazaki: “Yes! She’s a national treasure. Everyone, take care of her.”

Nakajima: “I’m going to mess with her, though.” (laughs)

Sakazaki: “I’ll mess up her hair and face.” (laughs)

(What element of Arai’s growth did you feel?)

“I think it came across just by watching her, but she doesn’t hesitate. She’s very resolved.”

I didn’t quite know what to do with this sentence: “普通、人を蹴るとか投げると勝手何もしない人なら抵抗あると思うんですけど。そういうフィルターを乗り越えてきてる?”

“Normally, someone who doesn’t do any wrestler things like kicking or throwing people would be resistant to that. Has she gotten past that filter?”

Nakajima: “Personally, I’m surprised by her relative strength.”

Sakazaki: “Yeah. I think you can tell by looking at her, those back muscles. She’s working hard, and I think that really shows in her body. She’s truly amazing, huh?”

Nakajima: “Yeah, she is.”

Itoh’s and Arai’s comments were a bit easier, though I think there’s a portion in there that didn’t make it into the transcript?

Itoh: “It’s your second anniversary, and you lost.”

Arai: “I lost. But… it was over too soon. I really enjoyed it, or something. But even though I lost today, I was happy to team up with Itoh-san. More than ever before, I didn’t want to lose today. I knew that Yuka-san and Nakajima-san were really strong, but I wanted to beat them so badly, I worked as hard as I could until the very end without giving up. I think this was how much I’ve grown in two years, so I’m looking forward to my third. I’ll do my best.”

Itoh: "Itoh: “Please do your best.”

Then Itoh said, “でもよくプロレスを続けたなって伊藤は思う” and it took me a couple tries to parse.

“I’m thinking about how you’ve stuck with pro wrestling. Because when I made my debut, I thought I’d quit immediately. Truly. You know, I really wasn’t any good. I wasn’t any good when I debuted. I was truly a nobody. So I thought we were sort of in the same boat there, and that you would quit immediately, but you surprised me.”

Arai: “Thank you very much. But I thought I’d do my best after watching you.”

Itoh: “Well, Itoh is going to work even harder than Yuki Arai.”

Arai: “I won’t lose.”

Itoh: “Fine. Please come at me anytime.”

(This was your first time teaming up with Itoh, just the two of you)

Arai: “For these two years, we’d only teamed up in 5-woman teams and such, so I was wondering if we’d be able to team together one day. I wanted to do it a little.”

Itoh: “Yamashita’s not here now, so we can team up.”

Arai: “Really?”

Itoh: “But I think she’ll get angry.”

Arai: “How was it? Teaming up with me.”

Itoh: “So-so. Well, maybe there will be another chance.”

Arai: “Yes. While Yamashita-san is away.”

Itoh: “She’s gone off somewhere. I don’t even know when she’ll be back.”

Arai: “And in the meantime, Itoh-san and I…”

Itoh: “I’m looking forward to it.”

(You said, “Who’s the cutest idol in the world?”)

Arai: “I was in the mood to do Itoh-san’s ‘who’s the cutest in the world’ thing together, but… she’s my senpai.” (laughs)

Itoh: “Is that what you really think? You’re definitely, unconditionally the cutest in SKE, right?”

Arai: “…”

Itoh: “You just said that you’re the cutest in the idol world, didn’t you? Do you get what that means? That means your AKB48 senpais, or Morning Musume, or whatever. You’re standing at the top and crushing all of those other idols.”

Arai: “…Yes. That’s what I mean.”

As usual, the last two matches are like half of the whole thing, so I’m hoping to finish the rest within the next couple days. Then I’ll have the VOD and the upcoming show to do, and hopefully I’ll be caught up before Misao’s produce show, haha. That’s my goal!

1 Like