"That looks like a typo." No! I'm actually trying to FAIL the review!

The new ‘feature’ where a review won’t allow you to fail a review without matching okurigana is yet-another-example of WaniKani releasing ‘features’ without proper consultation or beta-testing with actual customers. This is a very discouraging trend with WK development.

@Mods please take notice!

When I see 隠れる and I can’t remember the answer, I just type ‘a’, yielding あ, and press Enter. I’ve been doing it this way for literal years now, and I am not happy when I see this message:

That looks like a typo. You’re missing some visible kana.

And there is no way to skip this! I have to manually reproduce the exact trailing kana perfectly to be allowed to just move on to the next review???

Get the F#@& out of here!

Who the heck approved this UI regression? This is not a ‘feature’. A feature does not disrupt the normal, everyday functioning that is established and expected from your users. That’s called a BUG!

WK development team needs to get their act together. You’re behaving like this is your first rodeo, never released a major software product before, haven’t been in business for literally over a decade! This is beginner blunder stuff going on here.

You need to start a dedicated beta / early-access / whatever-you-want-to-call-it system so you can try out little UI experiments like this on a willing user base, not on your entire unsuspecting, paying customer base. You’re not doing yourself any favours with this incompetence.

Harsh words, but WK devs need a wake-up call, so harsh words are called for, IMHO. Stop messing around with your customers!

Bottom line: This UI change should be immediately reverted, and then you can try it out in some beta branch or whatever, work out the kinks there, and then maybe, if the actual users like it and want it, then you can deploy it to the main site.

But for now, please revert the F out of this regressive ‘feature’ now, so we can get back to doing our reviews with ease, not with artificial hurdles and road-bumps that were not there 24 hours ago!

17 Likes

Well I’m not going to 2nd the breathless hysteria :wink: but I tend to agree. Maybe what we actually need is a standard quick keyboard shortcut for “I don’t know”. At one time I was using ‘nn’ and then I had to change my habit to (also) use ‘a’. It’s a thing lots of people do, it seems when the topic has come up on the forums before. Might as well provide the function on purpose.

18 Likes

I definitely think an easy skip shortcut is what needed here. Deliberately typing an item wrong is what I’ve been doing myself but it’s a workaround and can actually backfire on a few items that have あ reading.

And checking okurigana is a good feature. It’s really annoying when I know the kanji part and mistype the okurigana in a rush.

I probably would have used a different logic personally though: if kanji reading is correct - check okurigana and warn, if kanji reading is incorrect - fail item.

35 Likes
40 Likes

I do the same, typically typing あ to fail an item I forgot. As someone who makes a lot of typos, I like that Wanikani is trying to address that for Japanese entry rather than just English though…

+1 for a ‘don’t know’ button like Flaming Durtles has!

14 Likes

Thanks wk. this is a great new feature.

7 Likes

Yep, now I need to wait a little for the script to be updated

I like the new feature in theory, I even used to use a userscript that did this before I switched to doing my reviews in Smouldering Durtles. But I also used to type u/う as my “I have literally no idea” answer and the userscript didn’t interfere with that… Smouldering Durtles has a “I don’t know” button so I’m not negatively affected by the update.

I wish you all the best of luck with getting WK to listen and adjust the feature.

8 Likes

I usually type “しらん” when I literally have no idea, but it looks like that would also be broken by this update. It’s pretty rare these days, but back when I was trying to speedrun level 60 and had a 1000-item backlog, it was definitely a thing that came up a lot.

The recent push for major fixes/improvements over the last year has definitely exposed some huge blind spots in the way people use the site. Lots of core workflow requirements that have been missing since the beginning, but fairly easy to work around, until a dev unknowingly closes the workaround while trying to fix something else.

5 Likes

I make a lot of typos meowself, because I’m a very clumsy cat – so I welcome the typo protection feature.
But I agre that it might have its downsides too wricat

8 Likes

I see that WK forumgoers are as charming as ever.

17 Likes

I’ll type い or “I” if I don’t know something. But I usually have a script going with the “Later” button to skip something as it might come to me later.

1 Like

Some people are very dramatic

11 Likes

I usually type の (“no”, as in “no, just no, there is absolutely nothing in my brain related to this kanji” :sweat_smile:)
I mean, yes, i need to change my habit now, but I think this is a good addition. I too am clumsy and fast with reviews, so any spelling check is appreciated from my side :smile:

6 Likes

To my detractors: Don’t forget that this is a pattern in WK development releases. Releasing things without beta testing for user feedback. Remember the kana-only vocab release? Remember the summary page ‘stream-lining’?

At least they ANNOUNCED those!

It’s not this specific change that irks me. It’s the lack of basic software development/release practices and safeguards. It indicates much deeper problems within WK development than just this one incident.

And I stand by my call for immediate reversion of this ‘feature’ which benefits a tiny few number of reviews but impairs a significantly larger number of ‘i don’t knows’.

3 Likes

It would be so awesome if the solution to this actually ended up being an “I don’t know” button, with inputting の、しらん、しらない、わからん、わかんない、いや、だめ、むり etc. triggering the same – except in cases where the correct answer is in fact one of the above, of course. :laughing: :pray:

7 Likes

I’m not a ditractor, but I think you could’ve worded it differently. I understand your complaints, but that doesn’t mean you have to use swear words in every second sentence.

10 Likes

I used zero swear words. You must be (literally) imagining them.

What I meant is that you wrote very agressively, and by swear words, I meant the censored words.

4 Likes

I repeat, in case you missed it:

1 Like