Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1, chapter 3

p6

よーし、じゃあ授業始めるぞー
Alright, then let’s start the class.
36ページ開いてー。
Open page 36.
いいぞ、うまい具合に怒ると一番怖い田辺先生だ。
Good, it’s lucky Tanabe-sensei is the scariest when angry.
オレの変顔で爆笑してたっぷり怒られろ高木さん。
With my weird face you’ll laugh a lot and make him angry, Takagi-san (Q: I assume 怒られろ refers to the teacher.)

p7

10分後
10 minutes later.
ああ、早く高木さんをわらわせたい。。。いや。。。ガマンだオレ。
Aah, I want to make Takagi-san laugh soon… No no… I’ll be patient.
高木さんをがオレをからかおうと声をかけてくるまでガマンするんだ。
When Takagi-san teases me, I have to wait until she calls out (to me). (Q/Answered: Not sure of the syntax here)
人をからかおうとしている時は、自分がからかわれるなんて警戒心は薄くなる。
The moment you’re about to tease someone, you’re least warry of being teased yourself. (Q: I put 薄く as modifying 警戒心, though I feel it should somehow apply to everything before は. Not sure how it’d sound in english)
そこを叩くっ。
That’s when I’ll strike.
さぁ、くるがいい高木さん、オレは隙だらけだよ!!
Come now Takagi-san, I’m full of openings!!
ねえ西片。
Hey, Nishikata
きたっ!
It’s here!

p8

なんだい高木さん。くらえっ!
(Challenge accepted) Takagi-san. Take that! (Q: I feel なんだい is an colloquial. Maybe 何だ → “What now?”)
あ。。。あれ!?
W-what?

p9

(laugher)
(oy)
うるせぇぞ西片ア!!
Shut up Nishikata
すいません
Sorry!
こ。。。怖え。。。くそ
S-scary… shit

7 Likes

I just have to point out this line because it made me laugh out loud when I translated it. No questions I think but correct me if it’s wrong of course.

p13

たしかに 爆笑はしてる けどさあ。。。

Nishikata thinking to himself “about surely roaring with laughter (like she said she would do before), she is doing it.”

Going through this has been a lot of work for me at times (and some things that get too complicated I still skip over), but I feel like I’m having fun. :grin:

7 Likes
Pg.3

I could be wrong on this, but I believe in that form, 怒られる is closer to “get scolded,” than to “make angry.” That said, WaniKani seems to teach the “make angry” definition. When I have looked into it on its own, though, everywhere else says it’s an intransitive verb meaning “get scolded,” so I have been treating it with that opinion. It also seems to make more sense in this particular sentence.

As for the discussion above regarding 関わる, I’m late to the party, but I have struggled with that word enough on WaniKani (by double-tapping か and forgetting to hit space between the two かs, so it becomes きわる instead -.-), that I remembered for sure it was intransitive and came up with the “I must have nothing to do with Takagi-san for the rest of this class period.” translation above. I would have contributed to conversation sooner, but work was terribly busy today, and by the time I had time to respond, everyone had already gotten the answer. :smiley:

But at least one good thing has come out of that leech of a word for me, I guess. Haha.

7 Likes

If you are using a touch screen you may be able to disable the “double tap か = き”.
On IOS in the keyboard settings you can turn on “flick only” so that if you press か twice you get かか, and then the only way to get き is to press on か and then flick left.

This also drove me up the walls until I found it.

IOS:
Settings > General > Keyboard, then scroll down to Kana and enable “Flick Only”.

Android
Settings > System > Language and input > On-Screen keyboard > Gboard > Languafges > Japanese, and then enable “Flick Only”.
Alternatively Android
You can get to the settings by a shorter path by holding down the little globe button on the on-screen keyboard and selecting the final option “language settings”, then click Japanese, and again enable “Flick Only”.

5 Likes

You have no idea how many failed reviews you just saved me. Thank you!!! <3

2 Likes

Phewf, Glad I could help =D

2 Likes

Page 11

それで横顔(よこがお)なら大爆署(だいばくしょ)だよ。

I’m confident that I got the gist of this sentence, but when I try to parse it, it feels that something is missing for me.

Literally, I went with Then if it’s profile, it is very loud laugh!. However since that does not make a lot of sense in English, I went with If you turn on your side, I’ll laugh very loud! for my understanding.

4 Likes

Both your translations seem fine to me. Different languages have different ways to express the same things, it just takes some getting used to. Here is my attempt: When (seen) in profile, it will be hilarious (will make me laugh out loud).

5 Likes

I’ve just finished chapter 3, thanks to everyone for the great discussions and translations!
I may post some more questions later on, but for now I’m pretty happy with how much quicker this chapter was for me compared to the chapter 2 (only 7 days for chapter 3 =O).

7 Likes

Let’s go with chapter three!

p1, panel 1

「だから違うって!!」
“I told you it’s not what you think!!
Here the って is making the function “I said” (と言った). だから acts as “like I said”.

「おねしょは、とっくに卒業してるっての」
Of this sentence, I don’t get the progressive form of the verb 卒業する. To move on/ to outgrow something, why is this is ている form? I can’t explain that.
The って I guess is “I’m saying”
The sentence should mean something like
“I’m telling you I outgrew the the bed-wetting state long ago!”
Or more naturally “I’m telling you I stopped wetting the bed long ago” but again, I can’t explain the てる progressive, since I don’t see it as neither a state nor a progressive action (maybe the state of having outgrown something…?)

2 Likes

This article might help clear up your doubts about ~ている. You are correct that it is a state of being (Meaning 5 in the article I listed).

I might word it, “I have outgrown the bed wetting stage already.”

1 Like

I checked that page but things are still quite confused :persevere: I keep encountering sentences where it’s used the ている form and don’t really get why (such as in the case below ↓)

page 3, panel 3

どうすれば高木さんに勝てるんだ…どうすれば
Progressive form playing with my mind again. It looks pretty easy to grasp, “What should I do to win Takagi-san… what?” - or literally “If I do what, is the thing that is winning Takagi-san… what?
But again I have doubts about the progressive form in here. Does this refer to a state in which takagi-san is defeated? Or Nishikata is just asking to himself what should he do to find himself in a position where he is in the process of winning Takagi-san?
This thing keeps being quite confusing :scream:
I could just accept it this way since this misconception about progressive form uses never stops me from getting what the sentence means… but, if I don’t get the way it functions for well, I will only be able to recognize it and not really use it properly (or at least I imagine it works like this). In fact, in this instance I’d only use 勝つ in the dictionary form

1 Like

Hint: it’s not 勝ってる :grin:

2 Likes

As @Arzar33 is hinting at, this isn’t the て- form of 勝つ.

If the vague hints aren’t ringing a bell for you (I know I can still get stuck sometimes!):

勝っている would be the て-form. 勝てる is the potential form of the verb. 高木さん is marked with に, meaning she is the one receiving the 勝てる.

“What can I do to win (against) Takagi-san”

You mention still being confused about the ~ている article; did that at least clear up the first sentence for you?

1 Like

@MrGeneric
about 勝てる

It’s the potential, passive would be 勝たれる, no?

2 Likes

D’oh, that’ll teach me to answer something right when I wake up. You are correct. Let me fix that. The irony, that’s what I initially typed, then when explaining the に, my brain was like, go back and change that, even though it was accurate at the start. :laughing:

1 Like

Hey, thanks both for the correction! I’m mindblown that I didn’t realize that 勝つ is godan :scream: even after reading your answers I couldn’t manage to realize that it was 勝つ in the え stem with the potential helper verb attached.
Now it makes a lot more sense again, but I still have a doubt regarding your translation

Why did you put the potential on the verb ‘do’ and not on the verb ‘win’? Shouldn’t it be, literally:

“What, if I do, is that (のだ) can win Takagi-san… what?”

(Or perhaps yours wasn’t a literal translation and you rearranged the sentence into natural english?)

This part is clear now, anyway :ok_hand:

About the last sentence with the use of ている, your explanation and the article you provided were clear enough to help me understand that specific case.
At least, let’s say I’m able to make sense of the verb 卒業してる as a current state - being in the state of having overcome/ outgrown something - just as for the state of being married

Since in this instance it wasn’t the progressive form but the potential, I’d say that further a explanation isn’t required and everything seems working. If I encounter another ている case that puzzles me, we’ll talk again about it :pray:

1 Like

This; I should have made it literal to make that more clear, apologies.

2 Likes
Page 3, last panel

お、西片なんだ鏡なんて見つめて。
This sentence is giving me problems, the truth is I don’t have a clue on how the words are linked together. なんだ? なんて? 見つめて ends in the て form? I suppose it’s not the case of ください, but could there be a totally implicit いる? Or is it some other case?

I’d break the sentence this way:
なんだ → 何だ → what
鏡 → I suppose there’s a dropped に here. Only came to thinking this because of an old translation, otherwise I’d be lost
なんて → thing like
見つめて → staring at (て?)

Have no clue about what relation is there between these pieces, feels disorienting :face_with_spiral_eyes: what modifies the following word and what modifies the word before. I spent a lot of time reading material on internet trying to make a clearer idea about those two expressions (なんだ and なんて) but still can’t figure out how they work

2 Likes
Page 3

This is sort of a weird sentence. Sometimes in manga, there are spaces and line breaks, and they are actually important, despite Japanese not otherwise utilizing spaces. This is one of those cases.

In this case:

お、西片 = Oh, Nishikata

Then there is a line break.

なんだ = What the?

Then there is a space before the next sentence, indicating the なんだ is somewhat separate from the following sentence. This is just an interjection because Nakai-kun is confused.

鏡 = mirror

なんて = what

見つめて = staring at

As you surmised, there is a dropped に after the 鏡. You never use を with なんて, but if it helps, you can imagine it there. 見つめて is indeed 見つめている cut short; this happens sometimes in casual Japanese. It’s obvious from context that this isn’t a request, but a question, so you got that correct as well.

Putting this all together:

Literally:

Oh, Nishikata. What the? In the mirror, what (are you) staring at?

Natural English:

Oh, Nishikata. What the? What are you staring at in the mirror?

2 Likes