SushiMasher - A little multiplayer game to review vocabulary

Fun game, I like the sushi sprites.

Also, does the game not support different readings, like 日本 as にほん and にっぽん? Apparently にっぽん was wrong. 

Hi, Spacey!  Good match!

It’s weird it showed your name twice for you; it displayed correctly for me.  But actually, the bar to the right seemed to scroll over, and then I couldn’t scroll back!  There is no left-right scroll bar, but somehow it scrolled over, because I could see the tips of the notifications.  It had worked at first, and then went wonky after a few rounds.

I’m really enjoying this game, though.  I like to pop in every now and then.  It’s crushing my ego a bit, though, and is reminding me of all the vocab I’m clearly forgotten… :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the great game, Delacannon!

It was cool seeing how my skills matched up with yours, jedimaster. I admit I tried sending you the vocab that I have trouble with myself. I think that wanikani could really benefit from some more community interaction like this game!

I’m also all-for private messages, member search, and something to track one or two language partners’ progress so you can compete for leveling up. But more than that I want the Textfugu update. :P 

Yay I finally got to play it! I kept having it where I’d give my first question for the opponent and then it would just stop. Sorry your sushi got squished, noracanjap :frowning: I was almost a goner!

Anyway, I think it’s great and as spacey said it’s really lovely to have community interaction beyond the boards. Well done, and thank you for making it!

No worries slosephine!  It was VERY fun.  Hope this will continue to grow and expand.  I didn’t realize I was playing with the creator for a while until now :slight_smile:

Just got to try out this game, it was a lot fun. Seems like a really great tool for practicing vocab. 

Main issue I can see at the moment is that vocab is limited to that of the lower lvl player. Which is fine for that player of course, but for the higher lvl player, they’re missing out on practising some vocab, and are a bit disadvantaged in the game. 
If you could select your opponents question from their unlocked vocab, I think this would be better. 

Character limit on chat is also a little small. 

But, in any case, its a really fun game, so I’ll be checking back and playing again for sure. 

Your game sounds fun!
I tried playing, but I haven’t found an opponent yet. :frowning:
But I noticed it should say “Waiting for opponent to join…” instead of “Waiting and…”.
Gonna try searching some more once I get home.

The game is cool but waiting for the opponent to choose a word is a bit boring. It would be nice if the words come randomly to each player and speed was important to beat the other.

And even though it says “correct” to my answers it was saying something like “too bad” so i thought i was losing the game :stuck_out_tongue: I couldn’t get it :stuck_out_tongue:

and one more thing… I don’t know if it’s a bug but while writing answers to the box there is some text in there and you write at the end of the text so it could be wrong answer if you couldn’t see it and delete it.

Just played with Delacannon - cool game!  Maybe because I’m playing on a laptop so screen isn’t huge but the chat was a bit fiddly - had to scroll to top to click in it then scroll down to see what was being said, but if I scrolled to far the text box stopped sticking to top of screen and went back to the top - very cool though overall, will be playing it more!

Holy crap that was really fun! And stressful too aaaa but it does serious ly helps with recognition since I was able to begin glancing at some kanji and knowing them immediately (I still lost horribly though… cURSE YOU GIA)

bibblyb said... Just played with Delacannon - cool game!  Maybe because I'm playing on a laptop so screen isn't huge but the chat was a bit fiddly - had to scroll to top to click in it then scroll down to see what was being said, but if I scrolled to far the text box stopped sticking to top of screen and went back to the top - very cool though overall, will be playing it more!
 Yeah I had the same issue. Other than that quirk If I could also see the timer when I give my opponent a question that would be great too ^_^

Another suggestion for improvement: Make it adapt a bit better to “lower” resolutions or window sizes. I never have my browser maximized, but even if I do The whole page doesn’t fit on one screen (1920x1080). I rather have a slightly scaled down view and be able to see the whole thing than everything being much larger than needed and not fitting on the screen.

BlaiddDrwg said... Holy crap that was really fun! And stressful too aaaa but it does serious ly helps with recognition since I was able to begin glancing at some kanji and knowing them immediately (I still lost horribly though... cURSE YOU GIA)
 I'm lucky that this game only tests the readings... my weak points on WK are mostly just the meanings and the radicals :p
Was fun though, good job on the game delacannon!

while it’s fun it’s also not fun, lol. 10 seconds is to short for me especially when i have to click in the type box then put my hands back on the keyboard, rather annoying. If you can fix that 10 seconds might not be bad. Also got put up against a level 25 player (gia, you are too good :slight_smile: ) and it was impossible for me to win but oh well

Any chance this will be fixed @delacannon?

1 Like