SushiMasher - A little multiplayer game to review vocabulary

This is really fun and cute!! Thanks for making it!

After playing, I have a couple of suggestions -

1. My opponent’s name didn’t display at the top. I was playing vs. myself :slight_smile:
2. It would be nice to see the opponent’s answer and their correct answer. Also would be nice to see word meaning.
3. The graphics for the squisher are a little bit messed up. I think the long grey tube thing should continue down from the top, and it doesn’t (at least on my screen)
4. Agree with timers, chat function and vs. AI mode

But very cool for version 1! Thank you for sharing it with us :slight_smile:

Well, I was able to play with someone who was on level 2 since he’s nost on WK anymore, so it was unfair. >_> But I managed to answer everything that he threw at me! This seems fun and promising, I’ll probably try it again with Bread later, but he mysteriously disappeared just now. Anyway, I managed to get the game to display something twice, and it was both when I opened the tab twice (it’d then appear on the FIRST tab)…

Oh and I should mention, when I played against that guy it’d show his name at the bottom and his avatar in the top-left, BUT my name and level would be shown in both corners.

It’d be great if you could cache the vocab in the browser’s local storage!

EDIT: Ok, I’m able to play a normal round with Albertillo now. Seems to work fine! Shows his username too. I bet it didn’t before because I opened it twice.
EDIT2: 25 mins later we’re still playing and going strong. No end in sight. Send help.

Please make sure you can’t press enter if there are letters in the text field. We sometimes screw up because we’re not pressing n twice.

OK, after 40-50 mins I can proudly say that I WON with 2 lives left against Albertillo on level 23 B-| Another Edit: Except that he got it right, according to him. ハート形、はーとがた, was wrong even though he typed it in. (?)

looki said... Well, I was able to play with someone who was on level 2 since he's nost on WK anymore, so it was unfair. >_> But I managed to answer everything that he threw at me! This seems fun and promising, I'll probably try it again with Bread later, but he mysteriously disappeared just now. Anyway, I managed to get the game to display something twice, and it was both when I opened the tab twice (it'd then appear on the FIRST tab)...

Oh and I should mention, when I played against that guy it'd show his name at the bottom and his avatar in the top-left, BUT my name and level would be shown in both corners.

It'd be great if you could cache the vocab in the browser's local storage!

EDIT: Ok, I'm able to play a normal round with Albertillo now. Seems to work fine! Shows his username too. I bet it didn't before because I opened it twice.
EDIT2: 25 mins later we're still playing and going strong. No end in sight. Send help.

Please make sure you can't press enter if there are letters in the text field. We sometimes screw up because we're not pressing n twice.
 Hi.

It was fun. Do you think you could make it so you can pull words form other sites?

Did not work for me…wrote the answer and then nothing happened.

Add a loud ring once someone joins, please! :smiley:

And omg I just got pitted against myself!? Whaaat??
Edit: nevermind, it actually just says the other person is me, for some reason.

I’m in right now. Have been for a while. Didn’t see you join. I’ve had the window visible the whole time.

I got matched with myself, apparently…

After which it doesn’t load any further so I’m not sure if I actually was matched with myself or if it’s glitched.

Just played a couple of rounds. Definitely amusing. Poor little maki roll. :frowning:

At the top, my name shows up for both players, even though I’m playing kendrakaylene. When I start typing my answer, the prompt text stays in the answer box and my typing gets added to the end of it. Clicking out of the box and then on the box again solves it. My masher is animated, but my opponent’s masher just jumps down with no sound.

I also have a few suggestions. Keep the correct answer up for longer, it always disappears before I can read it. A list of wrong answers and corrections at the end would also be useful, since I like to review my mistakes. Can we have sudden death mode? >=-)

haha it got pretty crazy at the end! i agree that death mode would be fun :) 
also, for words that end with ん if you don’t double type, you will get it wrong, so watch out!
I got used to being lazy with wanikani so I slipped a few times.

When I saw 残念 come up, I knew the end was near!

Thank you very much everyone for the feedbak and games. I am working with this in my spare time, I try to fix this as soon as possible. Hopefully soon you can all enjoy the game without problems.  

SushiMasher v1.1 Updates: 

- Simple chat feature included. The chat also works as a game log.
- Timer added, 10 seconds to type the correct reading of the word before fails.
- Opponent answers displayed.
- Sound added when a new player appears. 
- No more blank screens. 
- Minor bugs fixed.

I would love to see how awesome it works but it is taking too long for me to even play it. It is a little frustrating since it is a very good way to study my vocabs.

nice game :slight_smile:

That was fun to play!
Sucks it doesn’t count n as a “nn” and alternative meanings aren’t accepted :frowning:

Awesome! I’d love to have your skills. <3

@Dunedune http://j-lyric.net/artist/a050e51/l01a23e.html May the 今年 in the chorus never let you forgive this vocab (+ the seasons). :smiley:

That’s really cool :smiley: Can’t wait to try it

Nice work.  The multiplayer aspect is enjoyable, and the design is nice and clean.
A little problem regarding the character ん and the IME:
にんげん–> にんげn
Which is displayed as the wrong answer.  Perhaps try rejecting any non-japanese character input? 

I also noticed that (on chromium at least), the game screen is too tall, requiring you to scroll upwards to access chat and player information.

It doesn’t display my opponent’s answer; it just says “Vocabulary reading”

Edit: Actually, it works now.  Don’t know what was up with that before.

Hey, this game is really cute! I had a good match with jedimaster.

One suggestion: instead of “To badly” when someone gets the answer wrong, you could change it to “Too bad.”
Also at the top screen, it displayed both players as Spacey, but had the correct player names in the notification bar to the right.
I’m excited to see this game grow. It’s a great way to review competitively!