Suggestions for avoiding stupid mistakes?

Practice makes perfect as they say, so too does imperfect practice. But I think that is more of a problem when you aren’t penalized for mistakes. for example 当 was marked green when I entered light instead of right. (光 light). I have no idea how long that mistake has been slipping by.

1 Like

I suppose anything is technically possible :angrykoichi::baka:

17 Likes

Hey I made it through all my reviews this morning without any :baka: BakaZakana. I really slowed down and said the answer out loud before pressing return. Progress!

3 Likes

That’s Wonderful news ヾ(๑╹◡╹)ノ"
Level 8 was a bit of a nightmare for mii (felt like drowning at some point, even went on vacation mode for 2 days). Level 9 feels much easier so far.

1 Like

Thanks! I look forward to level 9 then! Level 8 sure has a lot of words that mean roughly “body”…

1 Like

Oh, yes indeed that happens to me as well, I am really tempted to use scripts, but so far i’ve kept myself away from them as i suspect i might be not that honest with myself, anyway, what i’ve tried to do and has somehow helped me is to focus on the color when learning and when asked, so i say aloud, ok, blue version or pink version… so i can tell apart radical meaning from kanji meaning and vocabulary. Either way to double check in your mind before pressing enter is also a good advice. Let’s see how it goes for us from here on

2 Likes

Speaking of scripts, the reason I have the WaniKani override is because I installed the AlliCrab app, and that was mainly for the Jitai script that exposes mii to different Kanji fonts which is really helpful, both for recognizing Kanji in the wild and for, again, slowing down.

1 Like

Is ‘BakaZakana’ a rendaku’d “stupid fish” (バカ魚) ?

Fish: :baka:

3 Likes

はい、そうですよ。:baka: :fish:

(ETA: I just added the rendaku’d sakana to continue with the generally water-based-animal-related theme of this site.)

1 Like

I actually tend to look at mistakes, including stupid ones, in more positive light… It means I get to review that kanji/vocab one more time.

That said, I do give extra attention on kanji/radicals that would be important to open new lessons. So I tend to spend a few extra seconds to verify that I didn’t make stupid mistakes on those. Given that they are a small fractions of my reviews, it’s not too taxing and allow me to burn through reviews quickly (I get between 100-250 reviews daily nowadays).

1 Like

This seems like the right way to look at it. I’m trying to strike a good balance between levelling up quickly (thus learning more), and learning better. I don’t stress about getting items from previous levels wrong, because as you say, it’s better to learn things well than to just learn them halfway, and mistakes help us solidify our learning.

I just wanted to get rid of mistakes that are basically my problems with the WK interface, and I’ve made progress since I started this thread five levels ago. I’m reasonably happy with where I am now in that regard.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.