Suggestion: 専 + 丶 as a new radical

The specialty radical 専 by itself is only used for the specialty kanji 専. In all other kanji it only ever occurs together with the drop radical: 博, 薄, 簿, 縛. I suggest replacing the specialty radical by a new radical which also includes the drop.

2 Likes

Actually they are different.

専 is not a simplification of 尃(甫 on top of 寸) but of 專 (虫 with an extra stroke on top of 寸).

In Japanese 尃 is now written so that the bottom of the upper part looks like 田 instead of like 用. But that is a small change.

In modern Japanese 專 has been simplified to 云 (傳伝・轉転) or 寸(團団).
But 專 itself just had the lower ム of the upper element removed : 専 (same in 惠恵 ).

2 Likes

Are you implying that because they are of different origin that is a strong reason not to make it a single radical despite being visually the same?

2 Likes

Interesting.
I didn’t say anything about these radicals’ etymology, though. I believe WaniKani isn’t trying to be completely etymologically accurate either, but is rather trying to be practical (whatever helps users memorize the kanji better). There are many other instances on WK where you have some radicals interpreted as variations of each other, when they actually aren’t, etc. All I’m suggesting is to slightly simplify what they already have. :slightly_smiling_face:
That’s why I don’t see the benefit of keeping the specialty radical if it only has a single kanji associated with it.

No, I was just giving some info. (There are several other merged WK radicals).

Probably 専 is used to display the WK radical because it is granted to be available on any Japanese font (while 尃 may not); and as both have been merged (that is, the presence or absence of the dot not being an important feature, from the WK radical point of view) using one or the other form is equivalent (again, from the “WK radical” point of view), so using one that can be encoded in text is preferable that one needing a picture, I suppose.

Also, if that merging of shapes in a single radical can lead to some people actually not seeing the difference, I think it would be better to write 溥 without the dot than 専 with an extra dot.
(it’s the same logic I suppose that makes 示へん be the displayed shape for the WK radical merging both 示へん and 衣へん)

2 Likes

To be fair Wanikani is not exactly consistent with this. It doesn’t distinguish radicals that are quite different (車 and 垂 for instance, both considered radical 車). It also doesn’t distinguish 礻(coming from 示) and 衤(coming from 衣), WK just says both are ネ with or without “drop” which is exactly the same situation as @bokuwaninjadesu mentions with 専.

On the other hand WK distinguishes 人/イ, 手/扌or 心/忄 even though they’re technically variations of the same underlying component.

There’s also the fun case of kanji like 施 that look like they absolutely contain 方 but actually don’t because the actual component is 㫃 which is a kanji unrelated to 方 that just coincidentally looks similar.

All that to say that WK doesn’t really care about etymology or even correctness at all, so there’s certainly precedent to make such arbitrary decisions.

That being said WK’s radicals are frankly useless IMO and should be ignored at all costs, in no small part because of what I just described above. I’ve been auto-passing them since level ~10 and I’m all the better for it

3 Likes