Studying Question

Hey, quick question on the studying. So I know that WaniKani is based on spaced repetition (the 4 hour, 8 hour, 12, etc. reviews), but I noticed that in some of the lessons it says “make sure you are studying”. I know the general idea of the spaced repetition is to get things into your long term faster and easier, but does that mean we should completely ignore reviewing (as in setting aside time going over and studying) the kanji/vocab/radicals up until the review shows up on our dashboard?

Additionally, if this is the case (ignoring it up until the review), would it be wise to do the reviews and then do an additional study on the kanji/vocab/radicals that appeared in that review? Even if they aren’t troublesome and I got all them right, I feel like that would add a boost the the spaced repetition instead of just reviewing it (entering in the kana and meaning).

2 Likes

you can study as much as you want. the SRS system is just a way of managing that study. For it to be effective, you should still review it when it comes up on WK, however it doesn’t hurt to study it elsewhere too, especially as the first few levels are painfully slow(for how much you want to do).

1 Like

Can you give an example of an item that mentions what you’re referring to? I can’t really recall them saying you should be studying the actual items outside the SRS.

It tells me to study my radicals. I mean I obviously know them because they’re super easy to remember, but that’s what made me bring up this question.

2 Likes

Makes sense, I kinda answered the question myself at the end of my question. I looked a little more into spaced repetition learning and got my answer pretty much.

I think it pretty much just means “Do them as normal, don’t ignore them”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.