Stories of the Japanese Prefectures (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

If you‘re ever in Kuala Lumpur, I can recommend checking out the real store. It‘s quite nice and big!

2 Likes

Can you try importing it directly into Ankidroid? I’m using iOS but I got it just by clicking on Add/export and then Shared Deck List and then importing directly into the app.

2 Likes

Did the 1130 yen option not say ‘suspended’ for you? For me, only the first two options on Cd Japan are available to me (over 2500 yen…), though strangely I can select the cheaper ones, even though they are ‘suspended’.

2 Likes

I’m not the one you responded to, but I also saw that the shipping option was possible (even though it says suspended). But… didn’t take the risk. I am also curious if it works out!

I bought the book from amazon Japan, with eye watering shipping 1900 yen to Germany. So I also bought Polar Bear Cafe 1-4. Overall it turns out cheaper than ordering books from my usual supplier (Verasia). … If I actually read them all!

I’m looking forward to joining you all! I might be a couple weeks late starting, though.

4 Likes

I didn’t notice anything like that (might have just missed it), and could choose it with no issue.

1 Like

Happy to see an ABBC with a “plain text” book instead of a manga. Just ordered my copy from Amazon JP which seemed to be the cheapest option to ship to Europe (along with a bunch of 10分 graded readers… to optimize costs of course).

6 Likes

I wish there were a physical Kinokuniya store near me, but you can order it online for $11:

They have free shipping on orders above $50, but shipping costs seem reasonable otherwise. I just ordered ~$30 and the shipping was $8 to the US.

5 Likes

Thanks for your help! I’ve got it working now.

I exported the deck from Anki on my desktop as a deck package (preserving the scheduling and media) and then copied the resulting .apkg file to my Android device. From there I was able to import it into Ankidroid, where everything now works perfectly.

Still puzzled as to why syncing didn’t achieve the desired result.

2 Likes

Amazon Japan’s shipping to Germany is really fast though. Would not be surprised if it still arrives this week! So far, my orders all arrived after 3 to 4 business days

I had this Japanese Prefectures book and another book in my shopping cart both on Amazon Japan and CDJapan, and Amazon’s shipping was just around 100 Yen more than the cheapest shipping option from CDJapan. In that case, it’s an easy decision to go with Amazon imo
But I haven’t ordered it yet since I’m still thinking about other things I might want to get

2 Likes

That’s great to know, thanks!!!

1 Like

Yen has dropped markedly against the dollar in the last couple of days, if you’re thinking about buying, strike now

Bad news for the Japanese, good news for us

1 Like

My self-restraint cannot withstand this kind of encouragement … Must … resist … massive … Mandarake orders … :grimacing:

4 Likes

amazon.jp shipping to Germany:

3 Likes

Just brought the book, ridiculous shipping but it will be here in plenty of time. I am excited to get started, this is my first bookclub on WaniKani :grinning:

8 Likes

ah yes, I should have said, first the shipping price was lower (the 1497 you show) - it increased to 1900 when I added 4 more books :face_with_peeking_eye:

Somehow I was more motivated to spend 4200 yen on 5 books than 2200 on 1! There must be a saving fallacy in there somewhere :innocent:

@PurplePipes Welcome to the forums! it’s my first bookclub on Wanikani, too

6 Likes

Don’t be scared by the big numbers in ¥ - books are cheap in Japan (at least compared to Germany).

I paid 16.02 € for the book including the shipping. You will not find many books in a German bookstore at this price.

4 Likes

tbh, 4200yen for 5 books isn’t even that much 34 buck, so about 7ish dollars each? Pretty good

4 Likes

I sent them an e-mail, and they pretty much immediately went “sure, we can order that for you”. It’ll be here in three to four weeks. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Haha! Somehow, I got caught up on the CDJapan website byuing this book and ended up with about 10 mangas too… :see_no_evil: Good thing it’s payday today! :innocent:

Btw, first time in a bookclub. So excited I can’t wait to get started!

5 Likes

Hmm, maybe I should go for it, not finding the other book too taxing currently.

4 Likes