Starting over after finishing

Is there anyone who has finished WaniKani and decided to go from the start once again? Did it provide any benefit? Was there many kanji completely gone from your memory?

1 Like

Thereā€™s a topic about it here :slight_smile:

I donā€™t see anyone in that topic who reset from 60, though.

Iā€™m not there yet, but itā€™s something Iā€™ve been thinking about as I approach the end so iā€™d be interested to hear from anyone who has done it, too.

One option Iā€™ve been considering is resetting and then using reorder to go through just the kanji again. Would be very low on time consumption and thatā€™s the main thing weā€™re all here for anyway. Would be nice if there was a way to only reset kanji so you could keep the vocab youā€™re struggling with alive.

1 Like

I thought I read somewhere that @BreadstickNinja did this by just resurrecting all the kanji.

Iā€™ve reset a few kanji that I failed to read after Iā€™d burned them but I donā€™t think I want to go through the whole thing again!

1 Like

That seems to be right

1 Like

I made a new account after 60. I rushed as fast as I could with the re-order script so I could be one of the first few to level 60. However during this time WaniKani was adding a lot of extra vocab to lower levels and I was getting slammed at work. That account is in vacation mode with like seven hundred or so lessons and like two thousand or so reviews. I am on team super slow now.

I use Skritter and I have a Kanji Anki deck I do everyday, but Wanikani really helps keeps kanji solid as I have to physically type things in. I wouldnā€™t say any are completely gone, its more refreshing the Kanji I see not that often and know the meaning but forget the reading, or remembering the weird readings of some words.

Instead of resurrecting all kanji, Iā€™d rather resurrect all vocabs and nothing else. Itā€™s not very useful to know one or two readings of kanji in isolation, much more useful to know how to read words (kanji combinations).

This is true, but Iā€™d rather use other systems and word lists for vocab. Wanikaniā€™s word list is slightly peculiar.

1 Like

Iā€™m definitely more with @BreadstickNinja hereā€¦ itā€™s easy to get sloppy with the kanji when reading, so I really want to make sure I know them as individual characters as well.

Vocab on the other hand Iā€™m starting to find increasingly frustrating to have to come up with an exact definition forā€¦ my reviews nowadays consist to a large extent of words where I can come up with a roughly similar english word, but just not similar enough that I can justify using the override script.

Itā€™s actually starting to feel really liberating to just encounter the words when reading and be satisfied that they make sense in context rather than being pressed for an english definition! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s an exaggeration. There are some peculiar words, yes, but itā€™s a tiny minority.

1 Like

Well, thatā€™s why I said slightly. Also, Iā€™m talking more about the choice of words in general. Their main purpose is to help with kanji readings, right? Iā€™m pretty sure theyā€™ve made an effort (which is to be applauded) to find one word for each kanji with each possible reading - as much as is possible.at least. (Not sure about this, but I seem to remember reading it somewhere.)

Personally, I treat WKā€™s vocab as mainly a way to reinforce the kanji. Of course, when there are vocab items I donā€™t already know that look like theyā€™ll be useful Iā€™ll try and remember those for active use, but usually Iā€™m happy to know them well enough to get right here and then move on. Wkā€™s vocab serves its purpose well, but I think there are more useful word lists out there.

3 Likes

Ummmā€¦ I know that @chepe263 reset from level 60.

like a phoenix

3 Likes

But all at once? Those reviews will come by the thousands.
@Helix

Doesnā€™t feel like resetting from 60 makes a whole lot of sense to me. By that time, your review of kanji/vocab and new kanji/vocab acquisition should primarily come from native material and perhaps taking words from that and inputting into something like anki/memrise if you still want to have the srs system for those words. Plus, there are a lot of kana only and onomatopoeic/mimetic words that you canā€™t get from WK. Plus, I doubt youā€™d want to have gated progress your second go around. Finally, youā€™d probably not want to review some of the more uncommon words that you had never seen outside WK (which were largely picked for their use of a kanji rather than usefulness or frequency).

But I guess if you have lifetime and donā€™t mind the extra WK cutting into other study time, itā€™s not that bad.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what happened :smiley:

1 Like

Will never do that o.O

Level 51-60 is awful :frowning:

1 Like

If resurrecting items is good enough, Burn Manager lets you select by type (e.g. kanji) and level.

3 Likes

Nice! Thatā€™s exactly the type of thing Iā€™d be looking for. Will make use of it in a few monthsā€™ time.

Thank you.