(SPOILER EDITION) Descent of the Durtle into Madness

The s was coming over from sbones, because I don’t think that one would be a keyword just as it is (sbones is not really a word by itself). But I did try the following just in case, with no luck:

Summary

anko eating Turtles bones
anko eating Turtle’s bones
Turtle eating ankos bones
Turtle eating anko’s bones
Turtle eating anko bones
anko eating Turtle bones
anko eating TurtleS boneS
Turtle eating ankoS boneS

So I think we’re still missing one.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s the space that’s needed. :thinking:

2 Likes

@rfindley, did your Genki workbook say “dialog” or “dialogue”?

(sorry, just want to double check - it would be the difference between “anko” and “unko”)

3 Likes

Does anybody tried “A Guide to Japanese Grammar” I have the feeling that’s the book in D02315CPQAWDF0B~IL7KB1FG+A

EDIT: It’s not on the list of ISDN…

Was flipping through this thread for fun and noticed that my page 39 in my JFZ book is different from @seanblue. The book exactly matches the given ISBN.

3 Likes

I wonder if for MnN the numbers are just in the wrong order? or the result is still scrambled?
If I count the numbers directly in the text (so “7時” counts as 2 and “例2” counts as 2)
and don’t count the actual exercise numbers (so “1.” and “1)” both don’t count) I get

毎晩す強勉き which looks like a scrambled 毎晩 勉強 すき

proof:
minna

What do you guys disregard when counting characters?

Mine matched the ISBN as well and had the correct copyright year. But your page looks more promising just by content and format.

1 Like

Good question. The only one I’ve gotten to work out myself is DOBJG. There I disregarded the page heading, spaces, and punctuation.

Here you go (apologies for THE WORST quality ever, but it’s the best I can do)

At least you can see what I mean by “page heading” (kara/kashira 181).
The text reads:

In this sentence, the main clause nihongo o benkyo shite imasu ‘I’m studying Japanese’ has been omitted.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right. It’s unko.
I apparently translated to the American (or computer) spelling while typing it into a text editor.

7 Likes

@rfindley @sumsum You should probably check to see if someone is editing a post before you edit it yourselves

I take it that’s a bad thing.
I guess I’ve grown used to multi-user editable documents :sweat_smile:

Edit: so… how do you check??

:fearful: sorry, first time I tried to edit such a busy post, I hope I didn’t mess up too badly

1 Like

So Turle eating poops bones?

Previously if one user was working on a post, and another user then changed something, the first user would override the change when saving. It seems like they have changed this now and you just can’t save the edit if someone else saved an edit in the meantime, but that meant I had to go and check what you guys changed as I was editing and incorporate that in my edit.

If someone else is editing you’ll see it as though someone is replying in the top-right corner of the reply box.

4 Likes

I found this one on Amazing using Look Inside
Japanese for Everyone (Jun 2008)
Page: 50

I’ve pasted the 3 page images in the wiki for the 3 known-good words, with highlights on the page number and letters.

Anyone want to add the non-confirmed pages that have been gathered so far? If possible, please also post a snapshot of the ISBN. (I didn’t do it for the confirmed words, but it should help with the degree of confidence for the others)

I’m out of time for today.

edit: It’s worth noting that the 3 decoded pages didn’t include any title text. It started at the first paragraph-text.

3 Likes

Amazon Look Inside for Japanese for Busy People (Nov 2011)… We need page 23

chrome_2019-01-10_17-40-12

I’ve tried “Adventures in Japanese” and I got:

eymtof

so nothing… but maybe I did it wrong

I’m still trying to decode

00LB269G

The difference between U and I is that they are next to each other… so with a little of imagination

OO = I I
L = K
B = N
2 = 3 = E
6 = 5 = G

9 and G not sure yet, but with the previous one I get GENKI I :stuck_out_tongue: