Some general questions about grammar and vocabulary now that I'm 6 months into WK

Well, if it works for you, then that’s fine. I remember feeling a bit lacking in grammar when I hadn’t yet finished Genki I, so I think it’ll become easier later.

I feel like it depends on one’s perspective. Understanding a grammar rule and being able to recall it and use it correctly when the need appears are two very different things. I used to study 10 pages/day of the Tae Kim’s guide (not an everyday thing though), I thought I was handling it pretty well and I eventually completely burned out. I had to start from the beginning because even though I was understanding stuff, I could barely apply them and felt lost.

2 Likes

For some reason, I felt the same way when I was using Tae Kim’s guide, but somehow I don’t have that problem with Genki. Maybe it was because there were no practice exercises.

1 Like

Yeah, not having practice exercises is a big miss. I can’t complain though as the guide is entirely free :man_shrugging:

Personally, I’m making a word file where I explain every grammar point to myself and where I write example sentences. That pretty much keeps what I learned fresh “forever”. Reviewing the pages is also very very quick. I do understand that not many people have this possibility, so I would highly suggest writing their own sentences to guarantee a healthier learning.

2 Likes

That’s good, explaining something to someone else always helps you learn it better. I guess it works even if you do it to yourself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.