So... I reached level 60

And the bottom of each thread is a dropdown. If you set it to muted, you’ll never see the thread again.

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 4.33.11 PM

1 Like

Congratulations! And thank you so much for writing such an entertaining story of your language learning pilgrimage!

2 Likes

It’s a little weird but I don’t dislike it

1 Like

You’ll also never get the Regular badge, which is what annoys me most about the poll threads.

1 Like

I’ve been a regular pretty much my entire time here, and I have only ever set foot in the poll threads accidentally… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What’s your secret? Because I can’t maintain a high enough read percentage if I don’t scroll through the poll threads.

1 Like

I’m honestly not sure! I just read all the topics that interest me, which is apparently a lot of them! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, this is exactly what I meant.

My comment is more a critique to my 2009 self than anything else.

2 Likes

I read all the posts in all the threads that I don’t have muted, and it doesn’t seem to be getting me anywhere.

1 Like

When I started Wanikani, I was surprised that this forum is 98% in English, with many threads totally unrelated to learning Japanese at all.

フォーラムの投稿者はもう少し日本語で投稿した方がいいと思うけど。

1 Like

And if you set it to Normal (even if it is already Normal), number-of-new-replies badge will be removed.

:pen:日本語の投票:o::x:

3 Likes

やっぱり、英語でも日本語でも、POLLのスレッドの意味がぜんぜん分からない :grinning:

1 Like

Fixed that for you.

4 Likes

Oh I see! Sorry, I misunderstood.

1 Like

Congratulations on that massive milestone! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

The Dorayakis you made look delicious as well!

1 Like

New POLL threads are created regularly because they hit the max reply limit, so you have to redo it from time to time (I say that because it surprised me the first time it popped up again after a couple of weeks).

1 Like

How many hours do you spend on average doing AK daily? Thanks and congrats

1 Like

I agree. I would argue you could get by without using こんにちは almost ever. Most people use おはようございます later in the day than I would its English equivalent and sail right into saying こんばんは if anything.
I would also say people use すみません rather than ありがとう in more situations than one would think. There are lots of times where ありがとう has a tone of “of course you would do that for me” so I mostly hear people saying it to service staff or more casual situations. Definitely saying すみません, what feels like the equivalent of “I’m sorry (for the inconvenience)” when receiving favors, presents and the like. I definitely feel lied to by the way I was taught Japanese in college. I remember practicing things like どういたしまして and I think I can count on my hands how many times it has been applicable to say it (where it wasn’t said as a joke). :joy: :sob:

1 Like

i think this shows the importance of learning Japanese through reading and listening to real life Japanese material rather than just textbooks and artificial learning materials

1 Like