Slooshy’s Study Log 🦑

Ended up with a bigger batch of reviews eventually, soooooooooo…

3 Likes

Yay I got to “level 22”, meaning, I now have a bunch more vocab to do before I get lvl 22 radicals and kanji but it’s started taunting me with the concept that I’ve gotten to 22… xD at least I understand this now and it’s not stealing all my spirit

3 Likes

Well done levelling up!!
You got this!!

3 Likes

:grinning: Thank youuu!!! :cake:

2 Likes

Started using JIS keyboard yesterday evening!! :cherry_blossom: @i2j3 , thank you so much!!! :two_hearts:

Here’s a possible typing/listening practice for daily use:
Poem for Japanese voice training “Amenbo no uta” - YouTube

…and a place to begin practicing it more slowly:
The Rhythm of Japanese: Improve your speaking and hearing | Organic Japanese with Cure Dolly (learnjapaneseonline.info)

Thank you, again, for sharing this delightful way to get my “reading eyes” and “typing fingers” sped up!! <3

4 Likes

You’re welcome homie!!

Oh, and I found Cure Dolly from her being mentioned in this forum - some argument about adverbs. I am terrible with grammar words & what they are. I just learned what a copula is…
Cure Dolly basically says pretty much everything is a Noun, Adj, or a verb, and then there are 3 super nouns - Suru nouns, adj nouns, and adverbial nouns - but they are all nouns. I like this school of thought because it’s simple and I can understand it.

I’ve slowed down on my Kanji studies - I’ve got 200+ reviews, life is crazy for me at the moment, and I feel I’ve got to progress further with the Duolingo & LingoDeer trees for me to be able to benefit more from the Kanji as a whole. I’m using WaniKani to look up kanji as I go to aid in my understanding of the vocab/kanji on those other platforms. Once I finish the trees and am at least JLPT 3 or confident JLPT 4 I will continue with WaniKani.

How far are you guys along in Japanese?
I’m still in the present tense everything ends in です / ではありません、ます / ません phase.

3 Likes

I am very unfar along in Japanese. :grimacing: I’m really…well…I’m really doing it in a screwball unsystematic way so far. I mean, there’s no reason for it – I’ve got Genki I and multiple "Dictionary Of Japanese Grammar"s, but I seem to have hung up on WK for a bit. I have Human Japanese too…and bunpo (smartphone app, seems pretty great since i can selectively dose up on basics and get a bit of srs exposure) but nothing other than WK have I had any regularity with that lasted more than a few days. Also I feel as though my English sentence construction has gotten increasingly weird since starting with WK and genuinely trying to wrap my head around Japanese grammar a bit more…so that’s pretty odd…to say nothing of the increasingly ornate typos I’ve been making. :sweat_smile:

I love Cure Dolly! I have listened to quite a few vids, and it’s helpful. I think it’s especially helpful for me because it keeps me in touch with the whole “Japanese is Japanese” concept which you are so familiar with yourself. It’s really important to me to not end up doing a lot of mental back-and-forth (English-to-Japanese-ing and Japanese-to-English-ing). Basically, avoiding this is paramount for fluency according to my high school German teacher, and I see Cure Dolly teaching something similar and I think it makes a world of sense. So because of this it seems like another thing for me to look into is this one book that gives an in-English peek into the Japanese grammar concepts of Japanese. I forget the title…but it won’t be hard to find again. (I’m also intrigued by Minna No Nihongo.)

You know about the online PDF Tadoku free leveled readers? I need to be doing that again too.

What am i even doing…lol… :rofl:

Trouble: I ran across the fact recently that “na-adjectives” are called “keiyoudoushi” (形容動詞 shape-form-move-part-of-speech, with move-part-of-speech being translated alone as “verb”), this word is being translated as “adjectival noun” so that just about blew my head clean off and I had to go look it up and read more and it was very very strange. (The whole idea of any concept whatsoever right now feels to me very very strange so …whatever that means about my mental state lol, probably means “go to bed”.)

I’m having a similar problem in trying to learn about electronics, actually. I think that the quantity-and-repetition approach is the right approach, rather than what I tend to want to do instead which is to try to understand everything as minutely as possible. I just need to drill drill drill and plunge ahead!

Where I’m at now is I’m trying to learn particles bit by bit. It seems like that and letting the meanings of the verb suffixes beat their way into my brain are the most important things for me right now in addition to keeping up with WK. I’m just super excited that I know what dake means now. Baby steps! :blush:

5 Likes

I think if you’re interested in this, Minna no Nihongo does seem like it might be more your style than Genki! It’s really easy to study some things in advance (the lesson vocab and the grammar page), then read and do the exercises for the lesson exclusively in Japanese without doing any translating back and forth. Only the example sentences are actually translated, and honestly, I don’t even look at the translations, lol. I haven’t had any need for translation in order to comprehend them. The one problem with MNN is that it can be kind of expensive, so it’s more of an investment than other resources, and if it does end up not working out for you, it’s a lot of money to sink into something.

Have you tried watching Japanese Ammo with Misa? Her absolute beginners playlist has been really helpful to me, especially since she also explains informal grammar when introducing new grammar points. I do think, though, that ultimately, the way to become truly comfortable with grammar is to actually read. Unfortunately!

If drills are effective for you, then that’s another point in MNN’s favor as a possibility for you to try! The exercises are great at drilling the grammar points (and you can get workbooks to drill them even more, haha). I’ve found that the grammar drills in the book help me a lot, and even when I think I understand the grammar points pretty well, repeatedly using them in the exercises helps cement them in my head and makes it easier for me to call that knowledge to mind later.

The one thing that is both a plus and a minus to MNN is that you have to be motivated enough to set aside study time on your own, because you don’t have a SRS like WK forcing you to do your homework every day, haha! It’s a minus because it takes more motivation to commit to your own study schedule, but it’s also a plus because it makes it easier to fit your MNN studies around WK and other things in your life, since your schedule is a lot more flexible.

4 Likes

yaaaaaaaassssss thank you that’s what I wannnT!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!
And the drills?! That’s great!

Yeah, my response when I was trying to do Genki was sort of… “this is inadequate.”

I really like repetition. Repetition works for me. :slight_smile: And the more time I spend reading English in the process of growing a Japanese-format mind, the worse it is for me – I firmly believe this.

3 Likes

Today I did my actual intended 20 lessons yay!!! And been doing them (and my reviews, as long as the groups are small-ish) using the JIS keyboard layout today! Progressing very well! Better than expected!

6 Likes

i like your writing! very interesting to read, and funny too!

4 Likes

Thank you!!! I like your writing so much – I’m glad you like mine too! :blush: (dancing around)

4 Likes

Bro… I have a background in electronics, and I created an easy way to convert I, E, V ← do those word problems really well. Like figure out voltage drops. I’m super rusty, I will share if ur interested.

2 Likes

I like your style of writing too - you brighten up the whole wk forum. :sunglasses:
Well done on 20 lessons… you deserve even more marshmallows!

3 Likes

omg yes pleeeease!!! <3 <3 <3 :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Ha-haaaaaaa!!! :DDDDD Thank you for the adorable marshmallowwwwwwwwws mmmmmmmmm yayyyy!!! xD

and thank you for the sweet compliment…i’m so glad!!! You make this awesome place brighter toooo!! :sunny:

3 Likes

kept up with reviews, did 5 lessons!!! Feeling happy about it. Still bustin along with JIS keyboard – what a pain to do the switch back and forth between English, but you know, I’ve committed to auto-pilot far more intense series of keystrokes so…eventually this will be a thoughtless non-action (and I think it will still be worth it in the long run considering the number of keystrokes for readings is almost halved by using JIS).

Tomorrow: 20. stern face (:crazy_face:)

4 Likes

where’s my bag of marshmallows??! I didn’t do 20 lessons today…I did zero lessons today. But! I did do reviews!!! xD gahhhhh

2 Likes

Here it is:

1 Like

喜び。:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like