Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

広島市は、たくさんの人に原爆の被害を伝えたいと考えています。そして、旅行に来た人にもっと長く泊まったりいろいろな物を買ったりしてほしいと考えています(context)

What does 考えている mean? I understand it’s something along the lines of “thinking” or “pondering”, but it doesn’t really make sense to me… Any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure 考える in news articles typically means something along the lines of plan, intend, etc. This definition should be in E-J dictionaries.

1 Like

I checked it and it is… I’ve been wondering about it for a while but never searched it up somehow

Thanks for clearing that up

Being a bit of an idiot here probably, am I right in thinking that the particle used infers the context? (Like they have 4 examples of contexts where this grammar point can be used)

Summary

FullSizeRender

As the description says, the particle used is based on the verb that comes next. Whatever particle it would be appropriate for that verb to take is what can be used.

3 Likes

Just to clarify, the particles that follow ところ don’t determine the context (e.g., something about to happen, something happening in progress, etc.), the verb that comes after ところ determines the particle and the verb that comes right before ところ determines the context.

• The first example has a non-past form verb, which in this case means something will do something;
  • The second has a continuous form (~ている), which signifies that the action is currently in progress;
  • The last two have past tense forms (~た), which expresses the preceding action has completed.

As for the particles that follow, think of ところ as a noun that means “point/place (in time)”. ところ is marked with particle that best accompanies the clause that follows it.

So looking at two examples
試験中、となりの人の答えを見ている ところを 先生に 注された。⇒~ところを注意する
(During the test, I was warned by the teacher (at the point in time) when I was looking at my neighbor’s answers.)
楽しみにしていたテレビドラマが始まった ところで 電話が 鳴った。⇒~ところで~鳴る
(Right at the point where* the TV show that I’ve been looking forward to watching started, the phone rang.)
*I’m using where instead of when to emphasize not the time but the scene where the phone rang due to で.

I’ve simplified things to make it easier to see what the book means the following verb determines the particle.

3 Likes

That makes a hell of a lot more sense now! Thanks so much Lucas and also to Leebo too!

I’m working on helping auxiliary verbs, and my workbook has this as the correct answer.

父の車を洗ってあげました

Why can’t the answer be くれました?If I were washing my father’s car for him, would it not be くれる?Or is that regardless of who’s recieving, if I’m doing the giving it’s あげる?

てくれる means that the speaker* received a favor.
てあげる means that the speaker* gave a favor.

父の車を洗ってくれました means that someone washed your father’s car for you. We actually don’t know who did it from that sentence alone.

*there’s more to it than this, but I won’t bog this down with more info than necessary here

4 Likes

This picture might help (or it might just confuse you more), but I remember finding it useful.

4 Likes

That does help! I’ll copy that into my notes haha Thank you very much

I’m working thru 新完全マスター文法N3 and I was looking for a bit of help on the 3課 #2 grammar point,

~ぐらい…はない・~ぐらい…はない・~ほど…はない Is the construction in question.

They list the English gloss as ‘~is the most … (of all). Used to express a subjective judgement by the speaker, not to state an objective fact.’

I’m wondering if ‘There’s nothing/no one as/that ~ as …’ would also be an accurate gloss of this grammatical construction?

E.g. one of the example sentences is

リーさんぐらい動物好きな人はいない。

Going purely off the gloss they give, I’d guess at a translation like ‘Lee is the biggest animal lover of all.’ Would ‘There’s no one that loves animals as much as Lee’ be just as accurate? The negative conjugation of いる/ある is throwing me off.

2 Likes

I’ve been studying that as well and from what I could find, I would say you are correct.

Some example sentences and their translations from Jgram on this topic.

くらい~はない

A is the most B thing. There is not a more B thing than A is.

外国で病気になるくらい不安なことはない
There is nothing as unsettling as getting sick overseas.

鈴鹿に買い物に行くくらいいいことはない
There is nothing like going shopping in Suzuka.

赤ちゃんぐらいかわいいものはない
There is nothing as cute as a baby.

漢字を憶えるくらい難しいことはない
There is nothing quite as difficult as memorizing kanji.

Hope this helps.

Edit: And actually when I looked at the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sentences in that lesson in Kanzen, it makes more sense to translate them your way than the way the book says to. So thanks!

1 Like

Glad I’m not alone in thinking this! The sheer volume of examples that Shin Kanzen Master gives is really nice, but I find it occasionally frustrating that they don’t give translations for any of the example sentences.

1 Like

I understand the feeling. I’m sure you probably surmised this as well, but I think it was designed this way to prevent the learner from engaging in one-to-one translation. The explanation contains a translation to put the learner on the right track, but the properties of the Japanese grammar point may not always correlate to the suggested translated “equivalent” as you noted in your post. In the N2 and N1 books, no English translations are included at all.

What does ゴラ or ゴラア mean? I think it’s an insult of some sort (The official english translation gives “bitch”), but I didn’t find anything on Jisho or Romajidesu. Thanks.

So I didn’t find it because it was a rendaku? Thanks!

What’s the とあいさつしました meaning here? I don’t think “greeted” really fits. Could it be #4 (replied)? It seems quite formal.
東京都にある映画館では、監督の片渕須直さんが「たくさんの人に見てもらって、幸せな映画になりました」とあいさつしました。
Am I also correct in thinking this ある is this one?

3 seems like the one that fits to me. The director isn’t replying to anyone.

And no, it’s just normal ある. 東京都にある映画館. A theater in Tokyo.