Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Hello,
I don’t understand the destinction in a grammar point I am studying.
The point is “~というのは” +

• Noun のことだ
  • Noun ということだ
  • Sentence ことだ
  • Sentence ということだ
  • Sentence といういみだ

The explanaition that is given is "The structure “~というのは~だ” is used to provide the meaning or definition of a word or phrase. "
However, I don’t understand when to use “Noun のことだ” and when “Nounということだ” as there are several exampels for the first form but none for the second form.
のこと seems to be used when パサコン is explained as パーサナルコンピュータ but I find it difficult to understand the distinction.

I couldn’t find anything on google, so I’d be grateful for a link or an explanation. :slight_smile:

新しい情報が入れば、随時ご連絡致します。
If new information comes in, contact me at any time.

Is this translation correct? This is from the WK example sentence for 随時, but isn’t 致す a humble verb? Can you ask someone to 致します for you, or would the correct translation be _If new info comes in, we’ll let you know at any time"?

I also have doubts with this, I think it is confusing who is doing something. The new information arrives on our side, and we are doing the contacting.

What was maybe causing the confusion is that WK wants 随時 to mean at any time, which is more like an offer to someone instead of a humble action (don’t sleep too deeply, we’ll contact you at any time!). In this case here it should mean “at that time” or “on that occasion”, so “If new information comes in, we will contact you (on that occasion).”

1 Like

I don’t think that translation is correct. 致す is a humble verb and based on this usage, it should be the speaker’s side that should be doing the action. I would interpret this as, “We’ll contact you if any new information comes in” or “We’ll contact you as soon as we learn anything new.” It’s probably best to contact WK directly so that they can confirm this, though.

I know this wasn’t asked about in the original question, but " 随時連絡します" seems to be some kind of set phrase. When I looked it up, this is what I found:
We’ll keep you updated (elle.weblio.jp, direct entry)
We’ll contact you when it’s necessary (Yahoo Japan)

For those who are interested, there are other examples can be found if you search for that phrase specifically. So it seems that the context sentence is not using a definition that is in line with the definition that is provided on WK.

@Carolinsp - people who respond to questions on this thread usually need sources to help explain grammar to others in order to avoid providing incorrect information. That’s probably why you haven’t gotten any response to your question. If you try providing the source for your grammar and some example sentences, it will be a huge help to steer you in the right direction with what is confusing.

2 Likes

Thank you. The sentence itself is pretty straightforward, I just wanted to make sure I hadn’t misunderstood how 致す worked. I know example sentences aren’t WK’s top priority, but I wouldn’t expect the translation to be wrong like this.

It is pretty straight forward. However, since this part of the forum is directly searchable through Google, if there are other parts that seem a bit off (namely the interpretation of 随時) I wanted to add more information for those who may not get why “at any time” may not be the best choice of words. Sorry for any confusion! :smiley:

EDIT: I’ve edited my post to reflect this properly.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply your explanation wasn’t appropriate, I just meant I didn’t expect such a straightforward sentence to be incorrectly translated.

Quite the opposite, your explanations are always great, and even when it wasn’t me who asked the question, your explanations make clearer something I was already familiar with. :grinning:

1 Like

I have a few questions about たら vs なら. In Tobira it says that in an S1 たら S2 sentence, S1 must be completed before S2, as in:

友達が迎えに来たら、私は帰ります。

1. Does 来る(の)なら also work here, instead of 来たら?

Similarly, in the example sentence:

日本に行くのなら、JRパスを買っておいた方がいいですよ。

1. Here, if we get rid of おいた (in advance), can I now use either たら or なら?
    日本に行くのなら/行ったら、JRパスを買っ方がいいですよ。
1 Like

I’ve always heard people in animé say something like よがた which is then translated as I’m glad/relieved. But now I’m learning to conjugate and suddenly it hit me that maybe its just past tense ‘good’ 良かった? Is that true or am I confusing things.

1 Like

Yep, it’s よかった

3 Likes

Amazing, my mind is blown :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s some resources that spend time comparing the conditionals. There’s a lot of similarities, but there are cases where some uses are unnatural.

The following two videos are from Nihongo no mori (the lesson is taught in Japanese)
Conditionals 1
Conditionals 2

These are English explanations
Conditionals 1 ~たら ~なら
Conditionals 2 ~ば ~と

I recommend the Japanese instruction videos because the teacher goes through all of the different uses and explains which ones can or cannot be used. I think it will answer your questions. The English videos give more of a simplistic explanation, but not so much comparison.

4 Likes

Ok, thanks a lot! I’ll check them out.

I’m having a little trouble understanding what your issues are… can you maybe give us some of the full sentences that you are unsure about? It’s hard to talk about all of these without something concrete.

I have another question regarding an example sentence:

母は話を聞きながら、ウンウンと肯きました。

While I listened to my mother talk, I nodded, “Uh huh.”

Why does it mean ‘while I listened to my mother talk’ instead of ‘while my mother listened to the conversation’?

I think your interpretation is right. Perhaps the person who translated this misread the は and imagined a の instead? Sounds like another email to WK is warranted.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure the mother is also the one nodding. There hasn’t been any change of topic since the 母.

5 Likes

I have a question about a context sentence for 特急:

ノリで特急に乗ることに決めました。
We decided, spur of the moment, to take the limited express.

What is ノリで here? I tried to google ノリ and ノリで with no success. Is there a dictionary entry someone could direct me to?

Maybe it’s slang for “no reason?”

その場の雰囲気に合わせて調子付いて物事を行う様子を形容する表現。その場のノリで。

See also, the Jisho entry for 乗り

1. (getting into the) mood; (entering into the) spirit; energy; enthusiasm; rhythm; feeling

Basically just… right there in the dictionary :sweat_smile: