Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Oh dang I’ll have to tell my parents they were wrong. That’s wonderful news (although I’m not gonna start using it again, because it sounds wrong to me now that I’ve believed it was wrong for so long.)

Elision is pretty common. It definitely makes me strongly think of Scottish and Irish people, and at the very least it feels more UK-English than American English to me.

So I just did my lessons for vocab 裕福 and 難しい
I noticed some things in the example sentences which I’m not sure if they’re typos or they’re actually a thing.

Sentence for 裕福:
僕の両親はド金持ちって訳じゃないけど 、比較的裕福な方ではあります。
What is that katakana ド doing there?

Sentence for 難しい
「これはどうすればいいの?」「ロケット科学みたいに難しいものじゃあないよ。貸して。やってみせてあげるよ。」
Why is it じゃあない instead of じゃない? Is it simply indicating a long vowel?

Thanks! :durtle_durtverted_lvl1:

It’s a modifier, like “super-”

I’m willing to bet this is just an effort to write it like it’s sometimes spoken.

1 Like

Thank you!

I dont have an example sentence but:

Anyone know how the following reflexive concept is expressed in japanese,

The people were hitting each other.
The man and woman were yelling at each other.

thanks

that’s maybe what you are looking for
http://maggiesensei.com/2015/02/24/v合う-au/

thank you. thats it.

I have a question about this sentence (from the core 10k anki deck made by someone on here, can’t remember who)

一般の方はこちらの席へどうぞ

I know it means “the general seating is this way” but I can’t figure out why it says 一般の方. To me that’s like “the general way” or something? I would try to translate this as “The general way is the seating over here” which of course makes no sense.
I feel like I’m not phrasing this well and it seems like a silly question but hopefully someone can help me out

Check the definitions for 方. It’s a polite way to say “person.”

3 Likes

Oh okay, so it’s like the general seating for people is over this way?

Thanks!

Sure. Also note that it’s かた and not ほう

2 Likes

Hello! I was looking at example sentences in my textbooks of the ~は、~なければ、~ない form (speaking of (~は), without fulfilling this condition (~なければ), it can’t be done.

All of the example sentences with a noun before ~なければ have ~で attached (女子大学は、女性でなければ、入れない。or 外国旅行は、長い休みでなければ、できない。) except for この映画は、特別な切符がなければ、見られない。, which has が and I just know I’m missing something incredibly simple but right now I just absolutely cannot figure out why there’s a が in that sentence and if someone can shine a light on it, I would really really appreciate it!

I don’t think there’s anything special about ~なければ ~ない that requires that you have は at the beginning. Isn’t this just a matter of general が vs は usage?

I guess it’s easier if you leave out all the なければ stuff and look at the conditions as a separate thing. For the first one, you’d have 女性じゃない / 女性ではない which is where that で comes from, I guess.
But for the last one, you’d say 特別な切符がない, which is why you use が.
So it’s the difference between ではない and がない / not being and not having.
I didn’t study that form with nouns yet, but maybe that explains it?

Yep, that totally explains it!! Thank you!! It’s funny how the more grammar you learn the more you tend to forget the most basic parts of it :upside_down_face:

観光は何もできなくて、ごはんを食べたくらい。
I couldn’t do anything for sightseeing, I ate diner… くらい ??

I’m dumbfounded by this usage of くらい.
All I know is くらい = about/around (for exemple 5時くらい around 5 o’clock), どのくらい = how much
Any help ?

One of the meanings of くらい is “degree, amount, extent.”

“I couldn’t do any sightseeing, the most I did was eat dinner.”

1 Like

Doh !!
While looking around, I actually found that sometimes kurai = amount/to the extent, but I couldn’t connect the dot and apply it to my sentence ! Thanks, Leebo.

Quick question about 毎日. If I wanted to say that I do some random verb everyday, do I need to include the particle に like other usages of time? Like 毎日に本を読みます…? I’m following along with exercises for sentence writing, just changing the words using the same formats. All the other sentences were days of the week or times of day, but this one sounds weird to me for some reason. Thank you!

Edit: Never mind, I answered my own question. I had been thinking of everyday as a period of time, not a frequency. I would still welcome any explanations anyone wants to give to expand upon the topic, though! :sweat_smile: