Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

It’s definitely や as in いや. And I think she’s saying she doesn’t want to become sweaty.

6 Likes

It’s essentially what @alo said. ‘If I get sweaty and smelly and stuff, then I don’t wanna do it!’ The base structure that’s being used here is 汗臭かったりする, which is a use of たり+する to provide an example of that might be done/experienced. やなんだもん is いやなのだもの in full, and using だもの usually indicates that one is strongly expressing one’s opinion, typically in protest against something else.

And yeah, given the additional context you just offered, she’s definitely saying she doesn’t want to get sweaty and smelly.

PS: I don’t know if this helps, because I’m finding it a little hard to capture this via a translation, but uh… just imagine a schoolgirl saying this in a whiny voice, protesting. That’s basically the tone of the sentence. I think the English-language equivalent would be something like… a valley girl expressing her desire to stay fresh?

6 Likes

Aye

Hah, I misread that. Cheers. :+1:

In that case:

“What if I start smelling of sweat, what then?”

Edit: I think @Jonapedia ’s version fits better. :wink:

3 Likes

Haha yeah, the tone is a bit difficult to translate into English.

Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand the use of したら here better now, was the first time I’ve seen it in my text I believe! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think this is an inaccurate translation.

Most likely. If that’s the case though, then shes more suggesting that she might get sweaty as a result of going under the blanket and not that she doesn’t want to do it if she gets sweaty. It’s that she doesn’t want to get sweaty, which that situation might give rise to, which is why it’s iya

6 Likes

I was going for something fairly literal, but I guess it might not make a lot of sense. What would your translation have been? Something that links いや directly to getting sweaty, as opposed to not wanting to hide under the blanket? I think that changing the first bit to ‘if I’m gonna get sweaty…’ essentially preserves the implications you mentioned. I mean, something like ‘I’ll get all sweaty, so no!’ matches the situation well, but it doesn’t match preserve the conditional nuance of たら. I’m not aware of たら being used to indicate reasons.

Besides, I don’t want to get sweaty (really, smell sweaty, but mah)

I think thats fine and even preferable for grammar explanation purposes, but I would insert “I’m gonna” for yours

Otherwise it becomes an if then statement implying that if they get sweaty, then they don’t want to do it which would be a mistranslation.

You’re getting baited by the grammar point here. There really isn’t any conditional nuance to be preserved with this usage of たら. Idk how to explain it nicely, but tara isn’t always like the english “if”. Sometimes it just works out that way lol. If I think of a better way to explain it in english terms ill let you know. The idea of “I wouldn’t like it if I got sweaty” stays when you say “I don’t want to get sweaty”. Theres no more to it than that really, I guess is the simplest way of putting it.

7 Likes

That’s the same change I decided to make after reading your post.

Admittedly, I didn’t really like using ‘get’ on its own initially, and I typed ‘if I’ll get…’ when writing my earlier post before deleting it because… French grammar tells me I shouldn’t use the future tense with ‘if’? :joy: It was just some dumb formal reason.

Anyway, guess we agree and I should have left that in. Good point, and thanks.

3 Likes

Can I just say I love these little debates about (seemingly) basic stuff and the technicalities surrounding it? I’ll sometimes know what something means but not quite how and why in a grammatical/literal sense, and discussions like this one really help in figuring that out.

5 Likes

Tbf I never know why either lmao

5 Likes

The feeling of reading manga in a nutshell :joy: . But that’s fair. Even though we often take a very structured, grammar-centric approach (which grammar point fits where) when analyzing Japanese texts, I see no reason why they shouldn’t be more natural / spontaneous like in English :wink: . Even in Japanese so many things just go that it’s sometimes funny.

2 Likes

Oh, translations can definitely be more natural/spontaneous, and depending on the purpose can even deviate entirely from the literal meaning, like making an entirely different pun because there was a pun in Japanese that doesn’t translate, or translating to something wildly different that has roughly the same sounds because a character is mouthing something inaudibly, things like that. There’s a lot of freedom to be had when translating stuff that’s for entertainment purposes.

I do think it’s good to sometimes analyse things more literally though, as it helps in determining when and where certain liberties can be taken.

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve found that the better I’ve gotten at understanding the worse I’ve gotten at being able to explain it. :joy:

Most of the time I have to go lookup a grammar point is so I can figure out what it is in order to tell someone else.

5 Likes

Haha, that’s the first thing I do when my language partner asks me about something in my native tongue :joy_cat:

2 Likes

学生の間違いは正しますが、それは彼らが「私が日本語を教えている学生」だからであって、友人とおしゃべりしている時に「今の言葉、変!」とは言いません。

What does あって do in this sentence?

2 Likes

It’s である in て form.

3 Likes

Yes, but why is it there, how does it effect the sentence, etc. Why not just

だから、

1 Like

The nuance is different. If you put just だから、the flow of the sentence continues. Something else happens “because” of what was in the clause before. Here it’s だからである and the flow of the first part is separate from the second part.

At least that’s how I understand it.

3 Likes

Oh, okay, thank you!

e:

This actually clears up my confusion with the sentence as a whole, the “because” wouldn’t of made sense otherwise, hence the あって, as you’ve explained.

2 Likes

I’m still having trouble understanding the whole sentence. Is there any more context to it?

1 Like