Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

hmm okay. Thanks for the help.

I do have another question.

月よう日に、トーフグの本社におじゃましてきました。
On Monday, I visited Tofugu HQ.

Doesn’t おじゃましてきました。mean intruded?
As in showed up uninvited maybe?

Well, yes and no. It does mean “to intrude”, but it is used in a humble way to say you entered someone else’s home (or office, in this case). It doesn’t literally mean that you actually caused trouble nor that you were uninvited.

As with most of humble speech in japanese, you would only use it when talking about yourself, and for example, not when a third party enters your home.

1 Like

ok thanks that clears it up. That’s pretty confusing though…

I agree… It is a bit hard to explain but imagine that you went to a friend’s home and they welcomed you and treated you with hospitality. As you go out you could humbly say something like “sorry for the trouble” or “sorry for imposing on you”, even though you know your friend didn’t mind at all. It is something in a similar fashion, I guess… ?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s like 失礼します which is what you say when you are entering/leaving a room or leaving work early, etc. which literally means something like “I’ll do something rude” even if you aren’t actually being rude.

1 Like

How do you say: “I like to watch “Brooklyn 99” with my wife.

Could someone explain why this sentence does not work to say what I’m trying to say:

奥さんで「Brooklyn 99」見るに好きだ。

Thanks! (^ω^)

You can use で to mean “with” people, but only when it’s “with some group.”

“As a family / with my family” would be 家族で or “as a group / with everyone” would be “みんなで”

To name a specific person, you would just use と.

Next, you have to make the act of watching, which is a verb, into a noun, by either adding こと or の. I’ll also add in some of the necessary particles, though often in casual speech they are omitted. For learners, it’s probably best to include them all until you understand things well enough that you can leave them out to sound more natural.

One last thing, you usually don’t call your own wife 奥さん. That’s an honorific word for someone else’s wife. Your own wife is 妻 (つま). This is similar to all the other words for family that can be different as well.

妻と「Brooklyn 99」を見るのが好きだ。

7 Likes

Wouldn’t it be something like

妻と「Brooklyn 99」を見るのが好き?

Edit: Dang got ninja’d! And I had just learned the のが好きthing in Bunpro!

2 Likes

Fun fact: Brooklyn 99 in Japanese is ブルックリン・ナイン-ナイン

1 Like

ありがとうございました!I appreciate the explanation a lot.

1 Like

Thanks! Haha, I appreciate it!

1 Like

BTW here’s a link to Tae Kim explaining this that was linked from the Bunpro lesson:

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/complete/verb_clauses

1 Like

Also, maybe use 観る instead, which is the ‘to watch’ kanji you use for watching tv and other enjoyable things.

3 Likes

Yeah, just to be clear, many words have many different kanji that express slightly different nuances of various words. Another example is 会う (to meet), 逢う (to rendezvous), 遭う (to meet unexpectedly, to meet something unfortunate), 遇う (to meet repeatedly).

If you don’t know which kanji is the right one to express a specific nuance, you can always use one of the basic versions. You could also use hiragana. It’s not incorrect to use a more basic kanji, but it’s good to be aware of the various versions.

The suite of options for みる includes

見る - to look / watch / see generally
観る - to watch, to spectate
診る - to examine a patient
視る - to observe / examine
看る - to watch over / care for

It’s also important to be aware that not all of these are jouyou readings, even if they are jouyou kanji. For instance only 見る and 診る are taught in the jouyou curriculum. The other three are not, though most Japanese people know them. So you wouldn’t be tested on 観る until Kanken level pre-1 potentially, haha, even though it’s not that advanced I don’t think.

11 Likes

Yeah, I encountered that specific version of みる in glancing over the first volume of Hajime no Ippo a couple months back in reference to the students wanting to go watch movies. I was curious about the difference between 観る and 見る since the latter is what most beginner stuff seem to teach you to use for saying watch tv/movies. Your explanation helps and explains why I would have never seen it before.

2 Likes

Hi hi!
I’m not quite sure what does this mean
“先生の彼女ってさ”
Like… Sensei’s girlfriend? Or something totally different?
Thanks in advance!

Yep!

[って] can be used as a casual topic particle (equivalent of は) and then さ is a very casual way of indicating emphasis/assertion

5 Likes

先生が話し終わったのはきがついていなかったです。
I didn’t realize that the teacher was done talking.

I still don’t get the use of past progressive in Japanese. Why is it past progressive here instead of just past tense?

Because it was in reference to a continuous action in the past (the teacher talking)?

It’s no different than English where you could say:

Past: I ate at 4 o’clock yesterday.
Past progressive: At 4 o’clock yesterday, I was eating.

1 Like

Also maybe this link might help?

1 Like